Spring ?'s

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with H&R, The front spring rate is 325/in and the rears are 288/in for the race spring.

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
I knew, just KNEW they could not have been that stiff in the rear. ;) Thank you for actually confirming instead of being the typical internet expert. Refreshing to have a frank discussion with open minded folks. :D

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
Instead of creating another thread, I figured I would ask it here...

I'm looking to lower my car but I don't want the ride to be harsher/bumpier...most likely a slight drop...which springs would be right for me? Thanks guys

I hate to say it this way, but ain't going to happen with stock shocks. They are the cause of most of the issues with the ride and stability in the first place.

Lowering springs are stiffer than stock, and have less travel than stock, both of which will firm the ride up (even the mild springs will). On top of it you are now making your shocks, which aren't great to start with, try and damp MORE spring rate and do it in LESS travel (shocks need travel to do their job, the less you have, the more damping force it takes to do the job in the travel left).

The best ride comes from good shocks and stock springs. The next best ride comes from good shocks and the taller, softer lowering springs. As the springs get stiffer and shorter the ride suffers more than more.

I recommend Koni STR.T's and a few different springs. H&R OE Sports are only about 3/4" lower than stock. But if you want a more "normal" lowering spring then I usually opt for Steeda Sports next @ about a 1" front 1.2" rear drop.

Bizzyb0nes

forum member
Reaction score
A lot of great tech came from this thread...way more info then Icould of asked for. We should create a sticky thread with spring rates of the major springs, the drop, and dampeners that best match

rocketpants

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I won't be keeping the stock shocks...I learned my lesson in my '05 Scion tC (yea yea, I know). How are the Tokico shocks on the Mustang GT?

I switched to Tokico shocks in my Scion tC and they were great....until the winter started. Once it started getting colder, there would be a horrible rattling sound coming from the back EVERYTIME i hit a tiny crack in the road. This is why I'm now anal about "ride quality" and noise. A couple months of rattling makes a man go mad...

gray1622

forum member
Reaction score
I am just the average and have no racing background. I just have a passion for anything fast. I currently have steeda ultra lights. The sports are only 5 pound stiffer so no real difference between the two. I running them with stock struts and shocks. The car is stiffer a little stiffer and ride quality isn't to bad. To me though the car doesn't feel like stiff ride it just helps the body roll. I know that doesn't really make sense but it the best way I can explain the difference. It is noticeable rougher though but its only annoying on really bumping roads like the day concrete ones but most asphalt roads don't bother me a bit.

I have had d spec and pro kit on an s197 before and on its softest setting its rode just about the same as my car now. Mine now if probable a tiny bit softer now. My car did scrape on certain speed bumps though with the d spec and pro kit but my current set up doesnt. I could stiffen up the shocks and struts and it would stop scraping and felt like it was on rails. It was blast to drive when it was like that and it was my favorite mod that I did on the car.

I have set of d specs I am going to install next weekend I am hoping that it will improve the ride on soft and stiffen the hell out if it on hard. I let you guys know. If the car isn't stiff enough for me I plan on bigger sways instead of changing the springs so that I keep the ride quality.

If your worried about ur up tight gf or wife bitching then I would give Roush a try or stay with stock with aftermarket sways, shocks, and struts. I hope this helps.

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I won't be keeping the stock shocks...I learned my lesson in my '05 Scion tC (yea yea, I know). How are the Tokico shocks on the Mustang GT?

I switched to Tokico shocks in my Scion tC and they were great....until the winter started. Once it started getting colder, there would be a horrible rattling sound coming from the back EVERYTIME i hit a tiny crack in the road. This is why I'm now anal about "ride quality" and noise. A couple months of rattling makes a man go mad...

Tokico's are about price above all else. There are various Tokico's for Mustangs, and I'm not sure which you are speaking of specifically. I carry them, but really don't love selling them too much because they just aren't something I think are built, let alone warrantied all that well.

I prefer Koni's over Tokico's. Tokico Blues and Koni STR.T's have similar goals of affordable performance. The difference it I find the Koni's have a bit better rebound control and a WAY better warranty if you ever have an issue.

I also like Koni Sports more than D-specs (which is hard to say since I have D-specs in stock and front Sports are on backorder--though rears are in stock). Same difference as with the non-adjustables, better rebound control and build quality. But here you also have to know that D-specs change compression and rebound damping together, which is not ideal. I've personally had both, the D-specs are far from the worst performance dampers, but not the best and neither I, nor any of my customers who have changed from D-spec to Koni have regretted doing so for a minute.

v606er

Reaction score
Sorry to bring back this old thread, but it seems excellent.

Sam, I was leaning towards the D specs on American Muscle, but not anymore. I'm trying to find which Koni shock would be a good fit for my car, (which has never been dragged or autox'ed, but like to pretend on the street sometimes, if you get what I'm saying), but there are a lot of koni's to choose from it seems.

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...ertible&autoYear=2006&autoModClar=&brand=KONI

Which koni is suggested to keep the ride comfortable and sporty with either steeda sport or ultra lights?

Bizzyb0nes

forum member
Reaction score
Sam told me the Koni SRT's would match up pretty good, and they were just as nice as the bilsteins, while being like $200 less...get them from Sam, they are currently on sale at his site

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back