Steeda Ultralite Race Cowl Pics and Questions

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Recently purchased the 307-0011 ultralite hood. From underneath, the back "rib" of the hood is solid, no cutouts.

How does the hood vent if the back support rib is solid? Seems like it would trap hood up in the cowl. Does the hood sit such that the support rib sits above or past the firewall so as to leave an open space?

Anyone have pics of what the rear of the hood should look like from underneath and/or from inside the car?
:beer:

Last edited:
S

Steedagus

The back is solid, but rises above the cowling so when you have it bolted on and closed there is no seal between the hood and the cowling. It is completely open. You can see right into the engine compartment.

I'll take some pics later if you still want to see it.

S

Steedagus

The race hood is only 1lb heavier than stock, which is on average 10lbs lighter than most other aftermarket hoods.

Tre06GTP1SC

South Texas Death Ride
Reaction score
The race hood is only 1lb heavier than stock, which is on average 10lbs lighter than most other aftermarket hoods.

Then I guess its not technically ultra light is it...LOL

I will say that it IS a very nice looking hood, but just not the ultra light Im looking for.

S

Steedagus

Then I guess its not technically ultra light is it...LOL

I will say that it IS a very nice looking hood, but just not the ultra light Im looking for.

If you compare it to any other fiberglass aftermarket hood it is the lightest you will find. To go significantly lighter than stock is going to take a carbon fiber hood.

Tre06GTP1SC

South Texas Death Ride
Reaction score
If you compare it to any other fiberglass aftermarket hood it is the lightest you will find. To go significantly lighter than stock is going to take a carbon fiber hood.

Lighter than these? (referrring to the VFN Fiberglass 3 inch cowl hoods) 13lbs for the pin on; 23lbs for the bolt on.

The OEM hood weighs 30lbs. So im guessing based on your statement that yours weighs 31. Which is lighter than the Cervinis 2.5" cowl hood which I weighed at 42, and now that I am weight consciene got rid of. I wished I would have researched better and seen this hood because I would have bought it over the Cervini because of the weight difference. (and would have kept it over buying a VFN hood after the holidays)

Last edited:
S

Steedagus

Apparently whoever did the original weighing to put the info on the website, which is what I use for info, did not know how to use a scale.

I just went and weighed these hoods myself. The stock hood I weighed on our shipping scale came in at 33lbs. Our Ultra-lite hood came in at 26lbs, so its actually lighter than stock.

Jarrod@latemodelresto

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Mike have you not installed the hood yet?

The back is solid, but rises above the cowling so when you have it bolted on and closed there is no seal between the hood and the cowling. It is completely open. You can see right into the engine compartment.

I'll take some pics later if you still want to see it.

That is exactly what i was thinking. I compared it to our 2000 Cobra R hood. I didnt think it would create a "seal" and keep air trapped. That "bracing" that runs from side to side is very small height wise.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Lighter than these? (referrring to the VFN Fiberglass 3 inch cowl hoods) 13lbs for the pin on; 23lbs for the bolt on.

Not a whole hell of a lot of bracing in that sumbitch either. Essentially....it is the pin on with some bracing in the hood hinge and latch area. The rest is exactly like the pin on.

In other words.......watch where you set your beer down.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the Steeda hood and it is a great hood. The fit and finish is second to none and it is very light but strong enough for a daily driver. The main latch area is well reinforced and the hood is very solid feeling. As stated the rear is open and you can see into the engine compartment while driving. I wouldn't think of running one of those VFN hoods on a street car.

Earl

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Apparently whoever did the original weighing to put the info on the website, which is what I use for info, did not know how to use a scale.

I just went and weighed these hoods myself. The stock hood I weighed on our shipping scale came in at 33lbs. Our Ultra-lite hood came in at 26lbs, so its actually lighter than stock.

Good to know, I have one being painted and installed. Looking forward to seeing it on my car.

Tre06GTP1SC

South Texas Death Ride
Reaction score

Well that is interesting. You may have changed my mind. Thanks for the info Gus, I'll shoot you a PM.

Not a whole hell of a lot of bracing in that sumbitch either. Essentially....it is the pin on with some bracing in the hood hinge and latch area. The rest is exactly like the pin on.

In other words.......watch where you set your beer down.

Yeah I hear ya. Im going to do more research, may just go with the Steeda version. 3lbs difference but more sturdy than the VFN.

Tre06GTP1SC

South Texas Death Ride
Reaction score
Well I ordered the hood today. Thanks Gus for the price break, and tell chris thanks for the awesome customer service. I will post pics once its on the car

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back