Steeda Ultralite Race Cowl Pics and Questions

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
What is to be used for the windshield washer squirters? Use the stock ones? Or is there some other style to use in the provided relocated mounting holes?

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The race version comes with squirters mounted to the underside of the cowl. All you do is hook up the line from the washer to the line on the hood and they work just fine. I don't know about the other style.

Earl

Liberty911

forum member
Reaction score
The back is solid, but rises above the cowling so when you have it bolted on and closed there is no seal between the hood and the cowling. It is completely open. You can see right into the engine compartment.

I'll take some pics later if you still want to see it.

How do you keep the torrential rain in Florida from entering the cowl when parked? Pictures please as I am seriously interested in a hood if I can save weight over stock but it is so hard to find any information.

Edit:
What are the weight savings on Steeda's Lightweight Radiator Support 05-10? Thanks!

Last edited:
S

Steedagus

How do you keep the torrential rain in Florida from entering the cowl when parked? Pictures please as I am seriously interested in a hood if I can save weight over stock but it is so hard to find any information.

Edit:
What are the weight savings on Steeda's Lightweight Radiator Support 05-10? Thanks!

When you are not moving the top of the hood is set back a hair so rain would have to be coming in from a certain angle to get in there.

I live in Florida too and I've had zero problems with my race hood.

The radiator support is about 8 1/2 points of weight savings.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The Steeda race cowl is definitely lighter than the stocker. Mine just came in(Thanks Gus!!), and it is way lighter. Pics coming..:thumb2: Does anyone who has the race cowl hood NOT have hood pins? I am going to use lock tight on the hood latch bolts. I would think with the air not being trapped in their anymore, it wont build up as much pressure, hence, no need for hood pins..

Cobra SS

forum member
Reaction score
The back is solid, but rises above the cowling so when you have it bolted on and closed there is no seal between the hood and the cowling. It is completely open. You can see right into the engine compartment.

I'll take some pics later if you still want to see it.

pictures please

Steedman07

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Crap pic, but you get the idea..In the right sunlight, you can see right into the engine bay..
picture.php

picture.php

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting this instead of a Cervini's 2" cowl, looks pretty good and it's lighter

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The Steeda race cowl is definitely lighter than the stocker. Mine just came in(Thanks Gus!!), and it is way lighter. Pics coming..:thumb2: Does anyone who has the race cowl hood NOT have hood pins? I am going to use lock tight on the hood latch bolts. I would think with the air not being trapped in their anymore, it wont build up as much pressure, hence, no need for hood pins..

Did you install hood pins? I noticed on a few vendors websites that they say hood pins are required on Steeda hoods.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
According to the Steeda website, pins are required. I have the hood and will say you will need them. The hood is very light but doesn't fit the greatest in the front where the latch is. What I mean by this is it will only lock in the safety latch (the one you move over to open the hood after you release the hood from inside), not the actual hood lock which is why the pins are required. It also does not fit well along the top of the grill... there is a large gap there. You don't notice unless you are looking straight at it but it is a noticable gap. If weight is your only concern then this is your hood. If you want to use the actual hood lock mechanism rather then hood pins then you will want another brand.

As you can tell from my car and signature I am a huge fan of Steeda equipment so this is not a Steeda bashing post. My personal opinion is that unless you are racing the car and need the weight savings there are better fitting alternatives.

Steedman07

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Steeda told me you DONT need them. Just make sure you check the hood latch every now and then and make sure the 2 bolts havent loosened up. There is some shake, but not that bad. Not bad enough to hack my hood up like I did the stocker..

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Interestng... they must have made some changes in the last few years as there is no way (without possibly standing on it) that mine will click in to the factory hood lock. I can stick my hand in just past the wrist in the gap above the grill.

Steedman07

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the race cowl. Dont know if that is different that the non-race cowl hoods. But mine works fine, just like it was stock. Locks into place everytime. If the hood is going fly up, it will have to rip the 2 bolts out of their sockets and rip the fiberglass. I am sure its happened, but it would take alot of force to do that. Wind and pressure are strong at high speeds, but no that strong..

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Update: my sig now has a pic of the hood on my car.
I am using hood pins, to be safe; the hood really likes to lift at highway speeds, especially near trucks!
The stock washer squirters snap into the holes under the hood; hook up the hoses first of course!

Even when driving in heavy rain, I've not had issues with water getting into the engine compartment, even though it's open from the back. Pleasantly happy about that.
There are, however, two little complaints I have to post: one, the driver side is not sitting flush with the fender anymore, like it sagged down a little. Installing a little rubber support on the fender, adding one toward the back-third, would probably solve this. Second, we had some prep/finish issues, and there is now one tiny pin-hole that had showed up, if you know where to look for it. (there were many more before painting that had to be filled/sanded out, so I"m not surprised to see one or two more show up months later).

But overall, the hood looks f'n great, and I'd get another one if I were to do it again.

Steedman07

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Its funny you say that. I noticed a very small pin hole type deal on the hood, that wasnt there before. It was not from the highway or anything.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Its funny you say that. I noticed a very small pin hole type deal on the hood, that wasnt there before. It was not from the highway or anything.

You should see pics of all of them before it was 'fixed up' for painting. I wont post them here, though; not here to bash a good product. (there's probably more Steeda stuff on my car than any other single brand :thumb:)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back