Steering help

Miavia7

forum member
Reaction score
Just installed long tubes and I'm having some slack in my steering. I know it has to do with the steering shaft. Ant ideas before I tackle it this evening? Like could I installed it upside down or something stupid. Thanks

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
Just installed long tubes and I'm having some slack in my steering. I know it has to do with the steering shaft. Ant ideas before I tackle it this evening? Like could I installed it upside down or something stupid. Thanks

May not be tight, keyed in correctly, or fully seated. I'm sure its your shaft linkage though.

Miavia7

forum member
Reaction score
Does anybody have just a little slack in there steering wheel? It's very little right now but I might be paranoid

Miavia7

forum member
Reaction score
Well it's tight on the bottom. Maybe it's not seated on the top?

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
Did you make sure the steering wheel did not turn while the steering rod was out? That would cause a problem.

Entrenched

forum member
Reaction score
I had this issue. I had to loosen the top bolt, have someone push down on the shaft from inside the car while I pushed up and tightened the bolt down. This completely removed the slack I had.

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
I had this issue. I had to loosen the top bolt, have someone push down on the shaft from inside the car while I pushed up and tightened the bolt down. This completely removed the slack I had.

Yup, sounds about right. I think I used some vise grips to hold the steering wheels shaft while I pushed the steering linkage back on to it. OP, if this is your problem, you need to be thanking someone you haven't lost control.

Miavia7

forum member
Reaction score
Yup, sounds about right. I think I used some vise grips to hold the steering wheels shaft while I pushed the steering linkage back on to it. OP, if this is your problem, you need to be thanking someone you haven't lost control.

Got it. Thanks guys especially the vice grip part.

Miavia7

forum member
Reaction score
Well guys, I Got it for sure this time. After jacking the car up and looking at it for 10 minutes I took the bolt out of the bottom. I put it in backwards. The threads were on the wrong side and it wouldn't tighten. Hope this helps someone.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back