Stock hood scoop cut out?

Styre

It Happens
Reaction score
Has anyone cut the hood under the stock scoop and removed the plastic in the scoop? Seems like it would help get rid of engine bay heat. I would like to try it but if someone has and it sucks. It would save me the trouble.

Styre

It Happens
Reaction score
cool jason let me know if it helps you temp or performance. I think if I did cut the hood I would have to clean the engine more often

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't you need a place for the air to escape at the back of the hood as well to make this work like the heat extractor vents kinda.

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have read that cutting a hole in the hood just makes the engine dirty and the hood flutter. Letting the air force it's way in creates a high pressure under the hood than on top, making the hood flutter/shake. And, of course, lets rain and dust in. If you have holes cut in the back, it will let the air out, like the Saleen diffusers. I never heard any good feedback besides you can feel the engine heat coming out at a stop.

FnSweet06

forum member
Reaction score
Had a friend who tried it on the hood scoop of his 02' GT, Air made it flutter on the highway eventually hood scoop flew off while racing lmao!

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Has anyone cut the hood under the stock scoop and removed the plastic in the scoop? Seems like it would help get rid of engine bay heat. I would like to try it but if someone has and it sucks. It would save me the trouble.

You would need to put an internal scoop that would force the air onto your exhaust manifolds then it would work, the Roush / Stock Scoops are not designed to funnel air they will break and damage the hood.

My origional idea was to make a shaker type unit that fits inside the stock scoop that will make it into a Coldair intake. Not hard to do just need some ABS Plastic manufacturing skills.

09Stroker

forum member
Reaction score
I cut the plastic fake grill out of the stock scoop then used a hole saw to drill 9 2.5" holes towards the back half of the hood scoop. Doing this you do lose the front two mounting studs but I have no issues with flutter at all cruising at 80mph. It has seemed to help quite a bit with the underhood temperatures.

FalconGTHO

The Reporter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Im glad to see that guys have done this. Its been on my To Do list since before I got the car. I have a second hood and scoop painted just for this purpose. My reason is not out of any truly functional expectation, but to have the appearance of a functional scoop as opposed to a stupid fake scoop.

I did the same thing to my 02 GT, Ill post up pics of it later. And I "uncorked" the scoop on my Torino less than a month after getting it way back in college. All that required though was removal of the grill trim and blocking plates.

Last edited:

Styre

It Happens
Reaction score
nice thanks alot. I think I seen some billet scoop grilles on ebay tha would look nice. That would still let air into the scoop too.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back