Strange MGW Noise..?

07_GTCS

Powered By: Gypsy Magic
Reaction score
I have been hearing this noise ever since the MGW was put in and is only audible when going over bumps....any guesses anyone? I don't drive the car that often but when I do its ridiculously irritating

Sound Clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwLsVmPIId0

The race bushing is installed also if it makes a difference :confused:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
You have something loose or misaligned somewhere. That would drive me batty. Time to get the car on a lift and track it down.

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had a Barton shifter do the same thing. Was hitting the driveshaft. Had to have the rear shifter mount shimmed down and problem went away...

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Are you sure the front mounting bolt on the shifter to transmission is torqued down properly? Either that or if you have a 1 piece driveshaft it could be hitting the shifter. I would investigate and look for any odd wear patterns on the shifter itself.

07_GTCS

Powered By: Gypsy Magic
Reaction score
You have something loose or misaligned somewhere. That would drive me batty. Time to get the car on a lift and track it down.
Drives me absolutely insane lol its constant too since I live in NY and cant drive 3 feet without hitting a bump

I had a Barton shifter do the same thing. Was hitting the driveshaft. Had to have the rear shifter mount shimmed down and problem went away...
Stock driveshaft or one piece?

Are you sure the front mounting bolt on the shifter to transmission is torqued down properly? Either that or if you have a 1 piece driveshaft it could be hitting the shifter. I would investigate and look for any odd wear patterns on the shifter itself.
No idea, my girl had a shop install it as a gift so I might take it back to the shop she brought it to and have them figure it out since they obviously did something wrong

Last edited by a moderator:

onehotpny

forum member
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like they installed it correctly. mine has never made any kind of noise. You could always call George at MGW, he has the best customer service out there.. he really cares about his product...

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
It is possible they left the 2 bolts that hold the rod to the main body of the shifter loose. As you would go over a bump the deflection would create a noise like you are having.

Back