Street/Drag tire choice/experiences

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
Okay so I just got my 15x10's in last week. I have debated every day since of what tire to get. First off, the car will see the street occasionally on the weekends when the weather gets better well when it starts to warm up lol. It will see the track monthly or maybe even more when the weather is good.

I have about three choices on my mind: MT ET street, MT ET street SS, Hoosier QTP.

The first two obviously being radials and the Hoosier being a bias ply.

I just want to know anyone and everyone's experience with any of these and their circumstances of why they chose what they did.

Right now I am leaning towards the QTP because from what I've been told it hooks like a mother, yet has a very good wear quality better than the ET street.

But then that goes to debate radial vs bias ply and so forth. So you can somewhat see why I'm struggling right now.

If you have anything to say about any of the 3 tires please chime in!

07 Boss

Reaction score
I have QTP's on my 15's but I only use them on track days. You don't wanna run them on the street. They have a DOT tag but that is just to qualify as a street tire for racing but they are not for the street. If your looking for the street/strip tire, stick to the ET Street Radial, that's gonna be your best bet. I've run triple 5 R's and NT05R's and the MT's is what I'm gonna go back to for the street.

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
I was referring to the et street radial! Sorry for the confusion! Haha.

How is the et street radial wear wise? Life expectancy?

The only thing questionable is I have two buddies in other states that run QTP's on the street aired up and said they have no problem. This is where I draw the line of confusion lol

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
It's because I am kind of a rebel, the QTP's are fine in the street aired up.
As with all racing tires, don't get caught in the rain and watch out for HUGE potholes.
No they are not for the street technically, not for daily driving etc... but you can make a trip to the track with no issues.
Been doing it for years, remember you're on soft tires and don't take corners like an animal... you'll be OK.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I run the M/T's as my street tires in the warm months, usually from April-Oct, on mine and they do a great job. I run an 18" Street Radial II, not a 15", the regular Street Radials are supposed to be a liottle different design, so I don't know if they would be as good on the street and the II's are. I have about 4000 miles on my current set and they still look good. I don't see why I can't get 8-10 thousand miles from them. I ran M&H tires previously but I think the Mickey's are a better tire.

Sactown

Sactown
Reaction score
I have ran all 3, the MT's are better IMO on the street, and the QTP are better at the track.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
Pretty much any dot drag radial will work for what you are asking. I have even seen a few guys driving around on the M/T ET pros.

I have heard to be careful with M&H drs on the street though. I have had a few guys with them tell me that even though they are a DOT radial they flex more and are built thinner (lighter) then M/T, BFG, ect

I still prefer separate drag and street tires though.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Running regular old radial ET streets (the ones with lots of grooves,) have had good luck with durability, in damp weather, etc...

I couldn't find 27" radial front runners that can handle the weight of the car. My 28" Sportsman S/R's look kind of tall.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
I've gotten caught in heavy rain with 275/50/15 ET Street Radials on the car and the car was surprisingly OK.

I got caught once with bias-ply 10.5x26x16 ET Streets once and it was HORRIBLE...constant fish tailing at anything over like 20 MPH. Real dangerous.

Honestly the ET Street Radials are great tires. I've run them quite a bit on the street during the summer and while they wear fast, for the most part they're fine.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I run my Hoosiers to the track and back but would never daily them. Any sudden emergency type maneuver can really become a handful with a mix of radial and soft bias ply tires.

SSPSTANGBANGER

LSx Slayer
Reaction score
I have ran QTP's and M/T and Nitto's etc.
I would not daily a Bias tire like that period is is way too easy to loose on the streets given the different surfaces and road contamination you will encounter.
The M/T are good on street but don't last as long as a 555R will.
I wouldn't run my track tires daily as the heat cycling will cause them to not work as well at the track after a little while(they get harder)
M/T radial pro while some drive them on the street M/T says don't do it as it ruins the tire from heat cycling it and causes it to get hard very quickly.
I keep 2 sets of rear wheels/tires to swap from street to track. it's 10min to swap them at the track. Just toss them in the trunk with a small alum jack and a lug wrench.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
I ran a M&H 275 last spring/summer/fall and other than the higher wear rates it was fine. Was caught in light rain at least twice and never had a problem. Ran them at the track once and there is now about 3000 street miles on them. Half the tread left. I have a new set ready to go on when these are done.

I've read about the heat cycling thing. The tires seem pretty soft to me. It's debatable but regardless of how true it is even a slightly harder than new drag radial will still produce far better traction than a summer tire IME.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
On my street setup on 20" DRs I loved the Nitto NT05s, I even ran 9.90s at the track with them. I now have 15" ET streets, and love them. I plan to do ET Street Pros next time though. I have limited street use though.

If mostly street I like the NT05s myself.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have had et streets, radial pros and 555R. The 555R was the best drag radial for street use out of them all imo.

BlueDevil

BOOSTED!
Reaction score
Running regular old radial ET streets (the ones with lots of grooves,) have had good luck with durability, in damp weather, etc...

I couldn't find 27" radial front runners that can handle the weight of the car. My 28" Sportsman S/R's look kind of tall.

attachment.php

Are those 15" fronts?

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
New MTs are just shipping now so I would wait and see how good they are. Suppose to be a lot better.

I run the 345 ET street 2 daily on vette, and 325 ET street for events. Both work great on the street. Mileage is decent.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back