String Trimmer.... ie weed whacker

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
I've been using a Stihl for 3 years and love it. I did change out the head to use pre-cut lengths of string, rather than the bump-style head. I use very thick string (with an "X" cross section) and can do my whole yard without needing to change the strings out.

Memphis 05

forum member
Reaction score
the FS90 from stihl is lieght weight, reliable and if you are eco- has the lowest emmisons on all the brands. plus there is a system that you can purchase edgers, chainsaw and pruner attachemts that use all the same engine. for a homeowner it is a really good tool... one other trick, Stihl uses all the same pole diameter... all the parts will go on a weedeater head... but the attachemnts as you need them and you are saving $$$$$$..... it adds up fast on theese tools....

i also recommned the BR600 for a blower... you will need that next! lol.....

On the fence line a you can sprya round up, but you can add a pre-emrgent to the mix to stop the weeds from coming back.. it takes time to get a layer down, but once it is down then you spray once in a while to reinforce the barrier. It is the same method that turf chemical companies use to keep the weeds out of your grass. it does not effect the water table not any vegetables that you might be growing... You can also use it in the beds around the house to keep the beds from growing there as well...

and find a place like a John deer Dealer that you can purchase the round up or similar at... do not buy that junk at home depot, you will pay to much there. You are looking for glyphosate 41% or 38.5 % depending on what stock is left. your mixture rate is an ounce per gallon. I would buy a 2.5 gallon let you last for years!!!

Last edited:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on the JD dealership for Round up. We have a big one about four miles from the house.

I'm gonna need a powerful weed eater. I was surveying my yard the other day and I have A LOT of over growth to cut back.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The ZTR mower will reduce a lot of trimming just because you will be able to get so much closer to everything. Once you get it under control it won't take any time at all.

50tbrd88

forum member
Reaction score
Stihl should be your 1st choice...awesome products! We sell them here at work and I think that they really are the best. Echo also makes pretty nice stuff.

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
I usee an Echo weed wacker, its great. Starts on first or second pull everytime. I would never buy an electric one. For around fences trees I could see it being fine, but occasionally I do have to get into some heavy thick weeds and I just see the cord getting tangled in everything

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back