String Trimmer.... ie weed whacker

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
In addition to the serious lawn mower I have to buy now that we have our house, I need a string trimmer. I've looked at 2 and 4 stroke units and this weekend started looking at plug in electric units.

The Stihl FSE60 looks pretty attractive. ( http://www.stihlusa.com/products/trimmers-and-brushcutters/battery-and-electric-trimmers/fse60/ ) I like that it'd be relatively quiet. I'm not particularly "green". I don't buy the whole electric is clean thing. It may be clean at the point of use, but what about the point of production? I do like that I wouldn't have to stop and refuel. Running up to 500 feet of extension cord is not an issue to me. I also like that electric motors make more torque when you load them, so if it gets thick it'll blast through.

I have about 2400 linear feet of chain link fence to trim, plus about two dozen trees, the house and the barn.

Has anyone here used electric trimmers and what are your thoughts?

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've used one before. I thought it was the weakest trimmer I had ever used, and I've used dozens. I used to cut grass for a living. The cord really is a pain, always getting caught on something, having to move it around, roll it up, cutting the cord with the trimmer (wife), etc.

I like the two strokes. Lighter and much more powerful than electric (at least the black and decker one I used)

4 strokes are a little heavier, but you don't have to mix the oil, which is nice.

I think I would not like dragging around 500 feet of cord. That's about 50 lbs of cord, where a good two stroke will weigh around 10 lbs and be much more portable.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
I like Stihl products, but never an electric trimmer. I have an el-cheapo black and decker electric weed whacker and it works great for me. Use on my small yard and my dad's 1 acre which has probably 1500-2000 linear feet of chain link. Pulling around the extension cord can start to be a pain, but it has always done the job. I've gotten into the habit of using an extended control weed killer along my fence line this year so I've had to do very little trimming. I kill just enough along my picket fence that the lawn mower can get to everything during a normal mow and it makes for much less maintenance work. Just something else to think about.

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
+1 on the weed killer. I spray it under the fence and the edge of the mulched areas and it cuts down trimming in half.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Electric is a PITA if you need more than 50' of cord. On the other hand, gas can be an issue if the ethanol fuel sits in it for extended periods of time. I run two cycle equipment for a living (and have for over 30 years) so I feel I can speak with some measure of authority on this. The absolute best thing you can do for two cycle equipment is to run it often enough to keep the fuel from going stale. And the best way to keep good fuel is
1) always use premium fuel from a known clean source
2) always use a premium synthetic two cycle mix oil. I prefer Stihl synthetic (white bottle, NOT the orange bottle).
3) Keep your fuel stored properly in a sealed container and protected from extreme temperatures and humidity.

My own personal weed wacker is an old Echo straight shaft unit I bought from Home Depot about 20 years ago. I had sold my lawn business with all my commercial units and needed one for personal use. About 6 years ago I had to replace the primer bulb (ethanol destroyed it) and just this year I finally had to rebuild the carb. I use it about 10-12 times per year and it can sit for several months unused.

Finally, I'll recommend using Roundup instead of a string trimmer along your 2400' of fence line and wherever else is appropriate. That shit will get real old real quick. In the industry we call it 'liquid weedeater'.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don't even think about getting an electric trimmer.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Does the "liquid weed eater" just leave dirt behind? I've thought about this, but having no experience with it I have no idea what to expect. We have well water that I am mindful of what I would spray since it will end up in our water.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Roundup® (glyphosate) type products are a systemic herbicide. They are absorbed by the plant through the green leaves and are inert in the soil. Spraying the dirt won't work, you spray it on the leaves of what you want to kill. Yes, it works very well with virtually no risk when used properly.

Or you could also spray your used motor oil along the fence like our grandparents did.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Roundup® (glyphosate) type products are a systemic herbicide. They are absorbed by the plant through the green leaves and are inert in the soil. Spraying the dirt won't work, you spray it on the leaves of what you want to kill. Yes, it works very well with virtually no risk when used properly.

Or you could also spray your used motor oil along the fence like our grandparents did.

No I won't use the old motor oil trick or gasoline. I've heard it takes very little oil to effect the taste of water in an aquifer. SO none of that will be happening on my land.

I can always buy one of those pump sprayers and a gallon of concentrate and mix it up as needed.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Make sure to label the sprayer with a black magic marker. Don't ask me how I learned that lesson.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good idea. Skull and crossbones with "WEED & GRASS KILLER" on it... it will be.

I had the same tank with weed killer safe for grass. Got em mixed up. Bad.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well I'm going to do weed killer only. I'll still have to trim but only a few times a summer as opposed to every time I mow.

Now I need to find a mower. I'm thinking gang-deck if I can get one. My front lawn is like two football fields side by side.

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
I bought a 4-cycle trimmer to eliminate the hassle of mixing the oil. Although it does save that step, it seems a bit harder to start than my old 2-cycle trimmer that finally died.

For liquid weed killers, I found Roundup QuikPro to be the most effective. I used to use the Roundup products from the local box stores and their effectiveness and price was less than ideal. Although the QuikPro may seem a bit expensive for the 6lb container, but with a mix ratio of 1.5 oz/gallon of water, it definitely lasts a long time when compared to the $20-$30 price tag for those small bottles locally. This stuff kills everything, but it works great for areas lke the cracks in paver sidewalks & around my culverts. I had some left over from when my lot was killed off before it was graded for grass in '06 and I finally had to order my first full container last summer.

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
I have tons of chain link too. If you don't use roundup, you'll be constantly stopping to refill the trimmer line.

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
I have a straight shaft 2 cycle Echo that I've used for about 7 years. I use it every week during mowing season and it starts every time easily and has always done a great job. Best weed eater I've ever owned. I vote for it, also it's one from Home Depot as well.

never buy the cheap 75 dollar crap.. I learned that the hard way

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Straight shaft are also better if using accessary heads.

ctt326

Brenspeed Hater
Reaction score
I have a straight shaft 2 cycle Echo that I've used for about 7 years. I use it every week during mowing season and it starts every time easily and has always done a great job. Best weed eater I've ever owned. I vote for it, also it's one from Home Depot as well.

never buy the cheap 75 dollar crap.. I learned that the hard way

This, we use an older 2-stroke echo and it always starts right up and is very reliable.

isthatguy

forum member
Reaction score
ive got an electric battery operated weed eater, works fine. no cords and no fuel to mess with. just plug it in when your done.

i also use an electric trimmer. works amazing. and pulling a cord along isnt that bad, you develop a routine.

Back