Stupid AI question alert!!

smitty328

Reaction score
I know there are a million variables here but, are AI races pretty incident free? I figure there is a lot of rubbing and minor contact, but what about crashes? I really want to get into AI racing but I have no idea about all of the expenses that I can run into. Right now I have no business being on track with people racing Mustangs, so for now I'm getting info and dreaming.

captdistraction

Corner Carver
Reaction score
Its pretty clean, certainly not Spec E30 or Spec Miata. I think as you see the speeds move up, the racers tend to run a bit more cleanly. I'm sure you could talk to your regional Nasa incident review board, or AI group leader to get some good statistics for your region in that regard.

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
SpecMiataCrashes-500px.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvNylkt0uvc&feature=player_embedded

Spec Miata is just a fancy term for a demolition derby, American Iron seems to be a pretty cleanly raced series. If there is any contact its nothing insane, typically just a fender or bumper.

Last edited:

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score
Its pretty clean, certainly not Spec E30 or Spec Miata.

Don’t you mean Spec Piñata or Crash Miata? :)

I think mostly it is a result of racing momentum cars. These guys just can't lift, the cars do not have the power over the car next to them to make up what is lost just breezing the throttle a fraction of a second. Kinda like NASCAR honestly, better to push the guy out of the way and not loose my momentum then lift and never catch him again.

Last edited:

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
398460321.jpg

Nationals, this year. This was our own doing but don't think AI is just driving around in tt. Yes you can have contact. If building a car is all your budget allows then don't go wheel to wheel racing. Building the car is the cheap part. maybe look into cmc2 it's a more budget friendly type of spec racing.

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
Might want to look into club racing as well, its not super competitive and is based more towards just having fun

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
AI is club racing... The AI banner comprises three distinct series, all limited to US marque pony cars. Camaro-Mustang Challenge (CMC) is the "entry level" series, where modifications are extremely limited, and is geared around a 260HP cap, and is primarily populated with 3rd/4th gen F-Bodies and the Fox, SN95 and S197 chassis. This is truly a driver's series, since you can't really buy your way into a podium. With weight and mod limits to balance the various chassis, and a hard HP/TQ cap, the cars are essentially equal, so it's up to the driver to make things happen. Since the mods are limited, and the HP low, stock parts are the norm (if not the rule!), and are relatively unstressed. For a 302, you're talking shorty headers, mild cam (E303) and stock Cobra intake bits. For a 4.6 3-valve, it's just stock, period. Take a stripped out car, slap in a basic 6-point cage, spec tires (they suck, but they suck equally for everybody), and go racing. Very low entry cost for the car and build, and relatively low consumables.

American Iron (AI) is the flagship within the series, and is geared towards a much higher level of vehicle prep. 9.5:1 power-to-weight, and 9.0:1 torque-to-weight max, plus defined limits on what you can do to the track width and chassis stiffening. After that, it's essentially wide open. Think high-dollar motors, high-dollar suspension (SLA is NOT uncommon!), plus a decently expensive aero package, on spec tires (maybe, maybe not next year).

American Iron Extreme (AIX) is the "yougottabekiddingme" class. With just a few key restrictions, it's wide open. NO power to weight limits, virtually unlimited suspension and chassis mods, no aero limits, and wide open tire choices. In the last few years, the horsepower war in AIX has pushed numbers well north of 850, with 1000+ having been seen. Obviously, cost of entry and maintenance are HUGE.

In general, in all three series, the racing is clean, with contact at a minimum. Does it happen? Yes. Do cars get destroyed? Yes. Are there some beat-up race cars running around? Sure. That is the nature of the beast, however with ANY wheel-to-wheel series. With TT, it doesn't matter if you passed me or I passed you on any given lap or any given session, it's about who had the single best lap of the day. With W2W, the name of the game is to get by the guy ahead of you, and then keep him behind you! I won't say "at all costs," but let's face it, you're racing, and when the white flag has flown, you either need to figure out how to get by the guy ahead of you or make your car REALLLLLLLLYYYYYY wide to keep the guy behind you from getting around.

TT and W2W are both competition, and can get intense and fierce, but in completely different ways. If you're planning on going racing, factor some repairs into the equation! FWIW, I do both, with different cars. I wrecked my TT car in April in a single-car rain incident, and the CMC car blew the engine all over T1 of the same track just last month. Racing just isn't cheap, and if you don't have the budget to sustain the needed repairs, then you need to seriously consider whether you can afford to drive the car at 99.999% or not. If you're having fun in HPDE, where you can run around at 80% and occasionally push it to 90% when you feel like it, that's totally cool. If you're driving at 90+% on every lap, including the out-lap, then eventually something is going to go the wrong way, and you'll be facing some expense. It's all part of the game.

smitty328

Reaction score
398460321.jpg

Nationals, this year. This was our own doing but don't think AI is just driving around in tt. Yes you can have contact. If building a car is all your budget allows then don't go wheel to wheel racing. Building the car is the cheap part. maybe look into cmc2 it's a more budget friendly type of spec racing.

Hmmm... I think I'll build a cheaper car

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would say do cmc2. AI is getting out of control . This is my new cmc2 car I run as a rental . pretty basic parts . these cars can be built for around 15k if done right and very , very basic.

careful though . w2w racing is " black crack" . you do it one time and you will find yourself selling everything you own just to get back out on track.

this is the cmc2 race . http://www.speedcasttv.com/#/races/240 49.17 second mark. you can drag the link to the minute mark after it starts

398473551.jpg

Last edited:

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score
carefull though . w2w racing is " black crack" . you do it one time and you will find yourself selling everything you own just to get back out on track.

Isn't this true with just about any racing? lol

BTW, Steve I didnt know that CMC had a spec parts list, is this available anywhere to look at? With the varing models in that series I am assuming that this allowed parts list has to evolve a little bit each season or am I wrong with that thought?

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Isn't this true with just about any racing? lol

BTW, Steve I didnt know that CMC had a spec parts list, is this available anywhere to look at? With the varing models in that series I am assuming that this allowed parts list has to evolve a little bit each season or am I wrong with that thought?

not so much a list of spec parts . stock sway bars .update backdate through model year. no gt500 or special edition. Max dollar cap on brakes and shocks. max power of 267 rwhp and 310 tq. stock exhaust manifolds. etc etc .

www.camaromustangchallenge.com

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
Any racing is crack, building this Porsche was the greatest bad idea i've ever had, I am just spending more and more on it every day but I love it and I can't stop because I see the final product starting to show.

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Any racing that is a straight line or only left hand turns is not crack to me."lmao" more like crap.........

smitty328

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I have a great AI car. I just don't think I have the balls to risk deystoying it in a race. Maybe I'll try TT for a while, and use my Miata for W2W.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Any racing that is a straight line or only left hand turns is not crack to me."lmao" more like crap.........

I'm going to have to agree with you.

Only reason I don't do W2W racing is that I don't have the budget right now for it.

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score

I read this in a Grass Roots Motorsports forum thread a while back but someone there said, "If I wanted to see a bunch of pretty colors going around in circles I will just flush a bag a skittles down the toilet"

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Why be like that. I spent 10 years in GT-1 and GTO and then another 10 in super late models on asphalt. Going in circles may look easy but you're at the limit of traction 50% of the time, usually nose to tail or side by side or both. Its tougher and more fun than many road racers think, There are pluses and minus to both road racing and ovals. But you know one of the best parts of ovals is leaving the race track with a big wad of cash (or a big check) after paying your $20 entry fee just a few hrs before.

Sleeper_08

forum member
Reaction score
I read this in a Grass Roots Motorsports forum thread a while back but someone there said, "If I wanted to see a bunch of pretty colors going around in circles I will just flush a bag a skittles down the toilet"
:funnypost:

knownukes

forum member
Reaction score
Any racing is crack, building this Porsche was the greatest bad idea i've ever had, I am just spending more and more on it every day but I love it and I can't stop because I see the final product starting to show.

You know how to make a small fortune in racing???...........Start with a big one!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back