Supporting engine mods for a whipple?

arabbit

12 inch member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I've been debating for a long time about keeping my 05 GT or going and getting a GT500 (or I am considering a Coyote now too). I really love my GT, and my power goals are not crazy high. I was thinking about just getting the Ford Racing Whipple kit from American Muscle, but my question is this: That kit provides 550 hp, which is exactly what I want to have, power wise. I know most people on here say that 500hp is the cutoff for a 3v before you are going to blow up. However, I have a friend that had one running on a stock motor just fine. SO, if I did a setup like that, what would I have to change in order to have a strong enough engine to hold up that whipple? I do not want a car that is always breaking or having to be adjusted, can a 3v safely and fairly easily handle that whipple kit and still be reliable? Or should I just say screw it and get a GT500 or Coyote?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you are aware that the 550 FRPP rating is FWHP and the comment of 500 HP being max is RWHP?

yes it can be reliable in the 450-500 whp area - proven over and over and as a member for 2.5 years..... surprising that you are not aware of that

arabbit

12 inch member
Reaction score
well that is what I thought, but I looked on American Muscle... "a ground pounding 550 Horsepower and 542 lb/ft of Torque to the pavement"...I assumed that "To the pavement" meant RWHP???

Either way, I've heard people on here say that over 450RWHP is too much, and some that say 500RWHP is fine. If the FRPP whipple can be reliably used on a stock engine, that is a serious contender for me.

Fantas

forum member
Reaction score
well that is what I thought, but I looked on American Muscle... "a ground pounding 550 Horsepower and 542 lb/ft of Torque to the pavement"...I assumed that "To the pavement" meant RWHP???

Either way, I've heard people on here say that over 450RWHP is too much, and some that say 500RWHP is fine. If the FRPP whipple can be reliably used on a stock engine, that is a serious contender for me.

A lot of it depends on the tune and other variables. People have blown their motor putting down 450 while other guys are making over 500 with no problems at all on a daily driver.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Basically what Fantas said.

We have a few on here with motors that let go under 450whp, there are others with 500+ going on for years now.

If you want to be safe, don't do any "supporting" mods, buy the whipple kit, install it on a stock vehicle, run their tune, and buy their insurance/warranty thing where they pay if your motor explodes. Of course, with the whipple tune, you won't be anywhere near the advertised 550BHP.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Run the frpp tune and you should be fine. Most get around 475rwhp with it. It's a very good tune and proven safe with a stock 3v.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back