Swapping Navigator 5.4 DOHC in S197

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
I currently have a 5.4 Navigator motor in my garage that I am going to go through and put GT500 internals in it and eventually put it into my 06 GT and turbo it.
I have researched and found some info thus far, need help from those more knowledgeable for the rest.
I know so far:
I will need GT500 mounts
I know my 3650 will bolt up
I know there is an adapter to use 4.6 DOHC intakes on the 5.4DOHC from reichard racing

Unknowns:
How I will wire this up to be able to run a DOHC motor with my SOHC 3v ECU, if it will even be possible to use this ecu still
I still have the engine harness for the 5.4DOHC with the engine, can I modify that to work or should I hack up the 3v harness?
If I am missing any possible "**** me" issues, please bring them to light, I would like to actually go into this project with everything as thought out as possible.
Thanks for any input.

2BlownStangs

forum member
Reaction score
I have an AEM fuel/ignition controller that is brand new that you could use on your build. $380 shipped. I paid $575. It's priced the same as a hand held controller. What are your thoughts on this?

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
Appreciate the offer but I want to see what all is involved in this first before I start pulling the trigger on parts lol.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
hmmm a lot of guys have done this sort of deal in the thunderbird crowd, taking at the sohc 4.6 2v npi and swapping this or the mark 8 motors. you might try tccoa.com and ask what is all needed they might be able to answer some of your questions

peetiewonder

Terminator
Reaction score
kuro did this same swap, he has a thread somewhere. i think its under gt or v6 tech.

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I thought the navi where 32v? Isnt that a 4v v8? I know Mustan & fast fords put a navi motor in a fox body. I know your putting it in a s197 but you could try writting them...

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
The navigator is 32 valve. Yes that is a 4v V8. The electrical part is going to be the hard part, well not really hard, but could be very pricey.

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The navigator is 32 valve. Yes that is a 4v V8. The electrical part is going to be the hard part, well not really hard, but could be very pricey.

O my bad, you were talking about the other guy having a 3v 5.4. I'd image it was from an f150? The only other thread I can think of is the gt500 motor in a GT but thats still easier then what your trying to do, or at least I'd image it is...

but I'm def subscribed since my parents have a navi stilling in a driveway w/ a bad trans, shocks, tires, & cats...

popeye

forum member
Reaction score
Gt500 ecu and a Gt500 engine harness will be needed, since you have an 06 the engine to body harness plug may be different, some rewiring is needed but it's not a big deal. If you are going turbo with that setup a trick way to go with the manifold would be to get the ebay adapter plates to run a 4.6 to a 5.4. Find a 03-04 cobra manifold and build a custom upper to house the Tb. You would have a blow through intercooler and could use all oem take off parts in the build. Headers for the navigator heads would be easy as attaching an older cobra flange to gt500 long tubes would do the trick.

popeye

forum member
Reaction score
If you are serious about the build and are in the north east, Mike at Powerhouse in Erie Pa has experience in this swap and does top notch work. Assemble it yourself as far as your ability takes you and leave the wiring and tuning up to him.

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
Problem is I will be getting far far into expenses picking up all these random pieces, intake mani, gt500 pcm, harness, adapter plates, etc.
I am thinking about just taking the 5.4 bottom end, building it up and taking my heads and porting them, upgrading springs, valves, retainers and putting cams in them and mounting them up on the 5.4
I would have the advantage of the 5.4 displacement, with the ease of a 3v, so in essence doing what kuro did except building it and turbo'ing it.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
Problem is I will be getting far far into expenses picking up all these random pieces, intake mani, gt500 pcm, harness, adapter plates, etc.
I am thinking about just taking the 5.4 bottom end, building it up and taking my heads and porting them, upgrading springs, valves, retainers and putting cams in them and mounting them up on the 5.4
I would have the advantage of the 5.4 displacement, with the ease of a 3v, so in essence doing what kuro did except building it and turbo'ing it.

correct me if i'm wrong but aren't all 5.4 iron blocks except the new gt500's. why not just use you're block and get a stroker kit?

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
Because I like to drive my car and this is going to take a while, I just got into my first house, so money isnt readily available for car stuff and I would like to take my time and work on a motor for the car without having the down time of building my current block for possibly the next year. And yes 5.4's are iron blocks up until the $4000 aluminum block of the 2011 gt500's

popeye

forum member
Reaction score
Well you asked how to do it........

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
Just found this thread because i'm looking at doing a 4V head swap...

To get the wiring done all you would need would be a GT500 ecu and harness which sometimes pop up on SVT forums...

Also, you might be able to have your ECU flashed with a GT500 tune? I've never looked into it but it might be possible...

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
Are you going to use a 96 cobra intake manifold?

Last edited:

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
Im selling the 4v heads I have. Throwing around the idea of building the 5.4 bottom end and using my 3v heads. Let me know if you are interested in the heads.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back