Swapping Navigator 5.4 DOHC in S197

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
silly thing popped into my head, now the older 4.6 2v/4v used the same heads now i know you can't use the 3v heads on the older 4.6's without a lot of modifications, i'd assume this would be the same for the 5.4' 4v's

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
Bringing this thread back up because I want to make this happen...

Talking to Tanner today and he brought up the fact that a stock 3V harness could potentially be able to run this, does anyone have confirmation if there are any additional sensors on the 4V motors?

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bringing this thread back up because I want to make this happen...

Talking to Tanner today and he brought up the fact that a stock 3V harness could potentially be able to run this, does anyone have confirmation if there are any additional sensors on the 4V motors?
It will run it. It's really just a head swap, that uses the same sensors.. Remember our discussion?

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
It will run it. It's really just a head swap, that uses the same sensors.. Remember our discussion?

Yes Tanner, I do lol. PS: In the thread lightblade linked the guy had to add an extra cam position sensor...

Trying to figure out the intake manifold situation.

Last edited:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes Tanner, I do lol. PS: In the thread lightblade linked the guy had to add an extra cam position sensor...

Trying to figure out the intake manifold situation.

Yup no way around that really since there are 2 more cams.

I think jpc make a 5.4 manifold.

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
Yup no way around that really since there are 2 more cams.

I think jpc make a 5.4 manifold.

Already have a JPC 5.4 3V manifold, I would most likely do the Reichard racing plates and a 4.6 4V manifold. Spent about an hour and a half bullshitting with Tanner on the phone and learned a lot, but still don't know which manifold I should go with.

Mach1Marauder

LARGE MEMBER
Reaction score

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I guess you know better than Mike Bowen and I.. Interestingly enough the GT500 doesn't have 2 sensors and it runs off the same PCM with a different strategy.. That tells me that the PCM is capable of running the coils and the single sensor. If I had my laptop (sct-adviii) in front of me, I'd tell you exactly how to do it.

Mach1Marauder

LARGE MEMBER
Reaction score
I guess you know better than Mike Bowen and I.. Interestingly enough the GT500 doesn't have 2 sensors and it runs off the same PCM with a different strategy.. That tells me that the PCM is capable of running the coils and the single sensor. If I had my laptop (sct-adviii) in front of me, I'd tell you exactly how to do it.
So, what did you do with the other cam sensor?
We all can wait until Tuesday. :beer:

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
Tanner, so what you were saying was that the PCM would be unable to use one sensor with both tapped in because they PCM thinks they are in different locations at different times?

Last edited:

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So here's the deal.. I still believe it can be done with one sensor. From what I can tell, the PCM uses one sensor to monitor cam position for actual engine operation, like the 4V does. It also uses the same sensor to monitor and adjust the VCT for that same bank. The other sensor seems to be used only for its respective VCT operation. It's possible that it uses and adjusts for both banks for not only the VCT but everything else as well. If that's the case, then it would pose a definite challenge but is not impossible by any means. Like I said, I'm positive it can be done and the PCM could run it this way but I don't own an IDS/VCM. I will have to agree that adding the other sensor to the sensorless bank on the 4V would (no doubt) be easier.

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
Mach1, is the coolant head temp sensor still located in the same place on the 4V heads?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back