The age old question...turbo vs sc.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
what would it take to run 20+ psi?? I want to know if the 4.6 3v can live at supra boost levels. The supra can inhale massive amounts of air, and they make insane power. A 3.0 liter making 1000hp is very impressive, and now they are stroking them to 3.4 liters, and making 1200rwhp +! what does it take to build a 4.6 3 v to take 30psi?? And what numbers would it make?? The world may never know.
Forged Cobra crank (a stock Ford piece), H-beam connecting rods, a quality 2618 forged piston, stainless steel rings, ARP main & head studs. Add boost and fuel. We've done stock block/crank/head/cams/intake four valve modmotors that went to 1400 with single turbos. Twins are even easier. Three valve heads are damn good and it wouldn't take much more than that to reach 1000 hp easily. As others have mentioned, an experienced engine builder can point you in the right direction.

And, as a side note, fuck a Supra.

My weapon of choice will be a Novi 2200

I'm your Huckleberry. :evil:

me-gone

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Whoo whoo, I get to try out turbo. This is probably your evil plan to get me to want to buy a turbo off you guys and have you install it.

Come up here and drive mine. I'll bet it does not kick ass any beter than yours does!
Bill said that!!

Rampage

Reaction score
I have an 07 gt with 3.55 and manual trans....i'm looking to make somewhere around 450rwhp on an otherwise stock motor for a couple years untill i can afford to build it and jump up the power.....with all of that said it's my second car and i never take it to the track i just run around the streets with some friends that are all around the same power levels in their 350z's, supras, and wrx's so i'm looking to be able to run around with them and not left behind all the time....that is untill i get to my ultimate goal of around 700rwhp.....so anyone with personal experience with any of these setups or anyone who knows more about it then i do i would appreciate some imput on the following kits

i'm looking to stay around 4000 for the kit if i have to go up to 5500 i will but only if it makes that huge of a difference oh and i live in dutchess county NY so i do have to worry about emissions but as long as i can get the computer to say everything is right i have a way to pass the rest of the inspection ie no mufflers cats etc.

I'm looking at the hpperformance stage 1 single turbo kit http://www.hpperformance.com/2005mustangturbosystems.htm
but they don't tell you any of the details or specs of the system

or the twin hpperformance kit which i could only find on the turbochargedpower.com http://www.turbochargedpower.com/05-09%20Mustang%20Twin.htm

the third option is the single turbo kit http://www.turbohorsepower.com/kits.html

i tried to look at the powerhouse setup but it appears that the site is down so i can't find out any information about that

Last edited:

Vashthe3rd

Maximum Trolling
Reaction score
I have an 07 gt with 3.55 and manual trans....i'm looking to make somewhere around 450rwhp on an otherwise stock motor for a couple years untill i can afford to build it and jump up the power.....with all of that said it's my second car and i never take it to the track i just run around the streets with some friends that are all around the same power levels in their 350z's, supras, and wrx's so i'm looking to be able to run around with them and not left behind all the time....that is untill i get to my ultimate goal of around 700rwhp.....so anyone with personal experience with any of these setups or anyone who knows more about it then i do i would appreciate some imput on the following kits

i'm looking to stay around 4000 for the kit if i have to go up to 5500 i will but only if it makes that huge of a difference oh and i live in dutchess county NY so i do have to worry about emissions but as long as i can get the computer to say everything is right i have a way to pass the rest of the inspection ie no mufflers cats etc.

I'm looking at the hpperformance stage 1 single turbo kit http://www.hpperformance.com/2005mustangturbosystems.htm

or the twin hpperformance kit which i could only find on the turbochargedpower.com http://www.turbochargedpower.com/05-09 Mustang Twin.htm

the third option is the single turbo kit http://www.turbohorsepower.com/kits.html

i tried to look at the powerhouse setup but it appears that the site is down so i can't find out any information about that

I wouldn't bother with HP performance at all. THP is good, Hellion, powerhouse, turbonetics are also good choices. All of those I've seen turn out pretty well. It sounds like you're aiming for turbos. If you have a friend with a turbo'd supra you won't be playing with him unless he's not running much boost. Other than that, you'll walk on any stock motor 350Z provided you aren't 400 lbs. As for the WRX's, it's up in the air.
A Turbonetics system will do you well, as will THP because both offer a good size single for the streets (You will want a 60-62mm since you say you don't go to the track) without the clearance issue of the Hellion system.
The big thing you want to look at here is who's doing your tuning and/or install. If they're inexperienced it might as well be you doing it. They can mess something up and blame it on the piping or just not know how to properly tune a turbo mustang and you won't like what you see. If you don't have access to a shop that's put a turbo on these cars I'd stick with a supercharger.
You won't find a brand new complete turbo system for 4K$, 5500$ seems to be the average. Be sure you're also factoring in the new injectors, fuel pump, MAF, gauges, etc. into your total cost.
If it turns out you want to go with a supercharger a novi 1200 or 2200 will give you everything you want, you just won't have the torque of a turbo car.

GQ4Life

forum member
Reaction score
turbos better but i'm going to go with a supercharger for ease of install

Reaction score
Nothing hard about the install on my twin turbo system. Complete bolt on.
..but it ain't cheap! Probably worth my entire car. Lol. But seriously, that is my favorite setup. And before u or someone else says it.. yeah there are other "easy" kits out there.
I've seen turbonetics kits on ebay under 5k, but don't run into many peope running them comared to the other choices out there. Are the rumors true that they are difficult to tune? Or is that just the general perception applied to all turbo setups?

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
..but it ain't cheap! Probably worth my entire car. Lol. But seriously, that is my favorite setup. And before u or someone else says it.. yeah there are other "easy" kits out there.
I've seen turbonetics kits on ebay under 5k, but don't run into many peope running them comared to the other choices out there. Are the rumors true that they are difficult to tune? Or is that just the general perception applied to all turbo setups?

Good/Fast/Cheap. Pick 2.

Other kits can come in at $5K or less like the Ebay stuff. I don't mind people pricing their stuff low. After all, they know what its worth. :evil:

Sometimes that old "you get what you pay for" line hits pretty close to the mark.

luillo

forum member
Reaction score
Forged Cobra crank (a stock Ford piece), H-beam connecting rods, a quality 2618 forged piston, stainless steel rings, ARP main & head studs. Add boost and fuel. We've done stock block/crank/head/cams/intake four valve modmotors that went to 1400 with single turbos. Twins are even easier. Three valve heads are damn good and it wouldn't take much more than that to reach 1000 hp easily. As others have mentioned, an experienced engine builder can point you in the right direction.

And, as a side note, fuck a Supra.

I'm your Huckleberry. :evil:

How much is the maintenace in you kit if any? Is it worth for DD?

onequicktang

forum member
Reaction score
I dont think I like the turbos mounted like that. I dont drive in the rain, but their is always that chance you might get caught in it one day and that spells trouble for those turbos. Plus I have a saleen so those turbos and piping would proboaly get alot of road rash on my car.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
This one was driven all over Texas in the rain last winter. No problems especially with the carbon fiber belly pan that covers from the radiator support past the turbos. And no part of the turbos, piping, or plumbing is below the sub-frame rail. Good clearance even on lowered cars. The first kit built is on a Shelby GT that has been lowered 2".

Cobra SS

forum member
Reaction score

or the twin hpperformance kit which i could only find on the turbochargedpower.com http://www.turbochargedpower.com/05-09 Mustang Twin.htm

I have the 07 Turbonetics kit for sale (less then a 1000 miles on it) sitting in the shop in RI. It made 452rwhp/502torque @ 9lbs of boost. PM for price.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think I'd go with that TT setup SD has if I didn't live in the great state of CA. Instead, plans call for a Vortech/Paxton/Procharger (preferrably the Procharger) with a 50-75 shot. I've already got the nitrous setup and am too invested to just dump it at this point. Yes, it's probably overkill, but if you can, why not?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back