Time for some interior work!

KonaBlue11

forum member
Reaction score
This thread was a great read. I'm just curious for anyone who chose to paint their steering wheel (or coat it) was it disassembled quite a bit? I didn't see it mentioned in the thread.

I just got a new Boss 2012 Alcantara Suede steering wheel. I haven't installed it yet, but I'd rather paint it before installing it. Just curious if anyone just masked off the wheel then painted, or took it apart. I know it doesn't apply to the CF wrap, just the folks that chose to paint theres.

2L8IWON

forum member
Reaction score
Bringing back an oldie,

Any last minute tips before I undertake this on my dash? Is it worth using water to get rid of bubbles?

2L8IWON

forum member
Reaction score
Also, when doing the airbag cover does a cut or slit need to be placed in order for it to deploy properly?

CommanderCool

Reaction score
Also, when doing the airbag cover does a cut or slit need to be placed in order for it to deploy properly?

I didn't cut mine. I used one piece to cover the passanger airbag. If the airbag can break the plastic, I'm sure it can blow through some vinyl.

2L8IWON

forum member
Reaction score
I tried mine and scrapped the project. It was too difficult to get the pieces cut to slide over the vents and I couldn't get the di-noc to adhere to the dash well enough.

Good luck to you, if you are successful please post a step by step of how you cut it.

- Jesse

avinaj80

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I tried mine and scrapped the project. It was too difficult to get the pieces cut to slide over the vents and I couldn't get the di-noc to adhere to the dash well enough.

Good luck to you, if you are successful please post a step by step of how you cut it.

- Jesse

Dang, that's not good. I had ordered a second set of wrap from the peeps on the eBay link earlier in this thread, and it wasn't the same. Ended up finding some cat on Craigslist who sold me some primo stuff. Sticks to anything!

As far as getting the cuts around the vent pods? I pulled the pods off of my panels. Just glued them back on after it was all said and done. No problems at all with them falling off or rattles. Still get compliments on the finished product. Hell, I've even done a couple side jobs doin the same for someone who didn't want to tackle it... This is still one of the best changes I've ever made to my stang!

JP06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I tried it as well and ended up pulling it all off. Carbon wrap just doesn't compare to the real thing! My buddy has a stage 3 roush and he has the real carbon fiber overlay and it made mine just look so fake it was crazy.

So after searching on eBay I bought this kit for 180 bucks

ygehagyh.jpg

06gtimpact

forum member
Reaction score
I did this last year and I'll be ripping it off and painting the dash mineral gray. I like the look but the edges were too difficult to get to look right.

BigSkyGT

Not your daddy.
Reaction score
Yeah I tried it as well and ended up pulling it all off. Carbon wrap just doesn't compare to the real thing! My buddy has a stage 3 roush and he has the real carbon fiber overlay and it made mine just look so fake it was crazy.

So after searching on eBay I bought this kit for 180 bucks

ygehagyh.jpg

I just bought this kit. Can't wait to see how it looks.

JP06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Sweet! Take your time putting it on! The red 3m backing on it is no joke! They way I did it was I started at one corner and peeled as I laid it down. Worked way better than taking the whole backing off because then you have this massive piece that is super sticky!

BigSkyGT

Not your daddy.
Reaction score
Sweet! Take your time putting it on! The red 3m backing on it is no joke! They way I did it was I started at one corner and peeled as I laid it down. Worked way better than taking the whole backing off because then you have this massive piece that is super sticky!

Did you use the adhesion promoter that comes with the kit? I am a bit afraid to use the stuff.

BigSkyGT

Not your daddy.
Reaction score
Well I can say I will never do that again. I am not impressed with the end result. It looks ok but I had a hell of a time getting the dash bezel overlay to sit right. It isn't where I want it to be and needs to be reapplied. I am going to see if I can buy just that piece and try it again.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back