Time to decide: Stay NA or buy a Paxton?

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
I have a set of Comp Cams Stage 3 cams that I picked up, lightly used. The car already has a Boss intake on it. I have a set of Baer SS4 Drag Spec front brakes in the box waiting to be installed (looking to drop weight).

I'm thinking about selling the cams, maybe the Boss intake, and the brakes. Then putting the money on a Paxton tuner kit (there's always sets of 47lb injectors for sale in the classifieds).

I think I'd be ecstatic with mid to high 500 at the wheels.

I'm thinking that it would be easier than trying to drop weight from the car and trying for every single NA horsepower.

Opinions?

PS,
I'm running catless long tubes, so the exhaust is taken care of. I know I'll have to have my converter re-stalled.

mikeyfitz

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
You could easily get well over mid to high 500s with barely any work lol.

Paxtons are sweet, and the boss mani compliments them very well. So that might be a better shot to keep it.

Fuck double treed

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Paxton FTW!!! If I hadn't gone turbo, Paxton would be on car.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
If you are already thinking about forced induction it's going to happen sooner or later. Save yourself some time, money, and heartache. Buy the supercharger and be done with it. I'd give Terry (Beefcake) first shot at selling it if I was you. Good prices, good guy, good service.

GrabberBlue5.0

Gold Member
Reaction score
We always want more, I'm willing to bet that you'd buy those 47# injectors, hit 600 rwhp with stock pulley and you'd be wanting more, but the 47s would be maxed out. As states above, skip the BS and call terry at beefcake, throw it on with boss intake, then sell cams and any other left over parts, drive it like you stole it, then when you get bored upgrade the pulley

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
We always want more, I'm willing to bet that you'd buy those 47# injectors, hit 600 rwhp with stock pulley and you'd be wanting more, but the 47s would be maxed out. As states above, skip the BS and call terry at beefcake, throw it on with boss intake, then sell cams and any other left over parts, drive it like you stole it, then when you get bored upgrade the pulley

I got prices from Terry a few months back, both for a Tuner kit and for his Beefcake special.

Let's keep in mind that what I have right now is the fastest and most powerful car I've ever had. I've got, what, maybe 390-400ish at the wheels? Maybe not even that much...

I'm not saying I'd never get dissatisfied with 600 at the wheels, but I don't think it would be overnight.

;)

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
You will need to get the converter re-stalled too. I went down a similar path last year. Bought a Roush TVS, sat in the garage for several months, sold it and decided to stay N/A. I plan to replace the internals on the car later this year and if I ever get the itch to run 9's, I will put a reasonable shot on it. I can't think of any reason I would need/want more than that.

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
George I thought you did plenty of real man racing with your old man, not this sissy power adder bullshit.

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
George I thought you did plenty of real man racing with your old man, not this sissy power adder bullshit.

Lol..I heard same thing...

Not to mention FI seems to cause other issues. But I love my blower, but had some issues in tuning, driveability, and finally got it dialed in. But little changes means more changes in tuning compared to n/a.

from the famous tapatalk

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score

LOL, I helped, I never said I approved. Also, they let FI cars in S/SS now.

BTW, I had heard you were doing twins. Was that rumor wrong?

;)

Last edited:

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
My vote is to Stay N/A and wait and see what the CJ IM does if you are thinking about doing internal engine mods. Anyone can make over 500 HP by slapping a S/C on their car but it takes some real time and dedication to get those fast time N/A

No offense to those FI guys.

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score

;)

I considered it in a moment of weakness. Then the NA CJ parts started getting listed and I came back to my senses. Wondering just how quick one can be at A/SA weight. The few that have been out there running C/SA have been pitiful.

sharkbaits

forum member
Reaction score

;)

Give me a call buddy.

I'll price you out some options and set you up with a great deal.

Aaron

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
I considered it in a moment of weakness. Then the NA CJ parts started getting listed and I came back to my senses. Wondering just how quick one can be at A/SA weight. The few that have been out there running C/SA have been pitiful.

Have you bought the CJ IM yet? I was looking at the JLT 110mm CAI I have sitting on my desk and was thinking that it should fit, the end that goes to the MAF housing is to small but until FRPP releases the tube it could theoretically work with a reducer and a plate to go over the MAF slot in the tube. But considering your aversion to JLT the C&L Racer tube would fit since they both are (IIRC) 110mm unless you want to make your own tube.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back