timing wedge tool in colorado

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
Well replaced the alternator cuz the lights were doing some funky stuff, but no help. The only thing I can think of is pulling the front cover and checking the timing. Gonna call am tomorrow and see if the can check the tunes again. I took it out for a drive and it seemed to run good.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Well replaced the alternator cuz the lights were doing some funky stuff, but no help. The only thing I can think of is pulling the front cover and checking the timing. Gonna call am tomorrow and see if the can check the tunes again. I took it out for a drive and it seemed to run good.
Do a compression test! Pulling off the front cover is more work than you need to do!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
Oh ya forgot to say I ordered that fitting to do the test should be here Monday at the latest. Man when I drove it it pulled hard too I want to drive it some more lol.

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
Do I need to pull all plugs and cops to test just one cylinder?

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
Hey if I do need to adjust the cams is it ok to turn the cam using the bolt that holds the gear? Or should I take the cam out completely?

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Hey if I do need to adjust the cams is it ok to turn the cam using the bolt that holds the gear? Or should I take the cam out completely?
Theoretically, yeah. You just need to be careful. Personally, I turn the crank. You'll need to remove the followers to create enough play to move the cam. It's best to remove the followers for the cam you want to "move" first, remove the cam caps, and have someone hold the chain, and lift the back of the cam up (so the gear moves 'down'), while someone turns the crank.

To be honest, it's a pretty complicated operation. You have to know what you're doing, how to follow the timing marks, and have enough sets of hands to do it without allowing the chain to move the crank gear.

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
I just ran the compression test. I didn't get anything lower than 120. Key on count one two three. Now I'm really confused? Unless I'm doing something wrong. But it's pretty straight forward.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
I just ran the compression test. I didn't get anything lower than 120. Key on count one two three. Now I'm really confused? Unless I'm doing something wrong. But it's pretty straight forward.
Those are acceptable numbers for our altitude. A bit low... but not indicative of teeth being off.

The only other thing I'd suggest is changing out those sensors.

I can't remember, did you look into the alternator yet?

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
Ya replaced the alternator. Swapped sensors from left to right. I unplugged it no change. Unplugged the other it wouldn't set a code for the other side just the p0340. I was thinking maybe the vct? Also if I unplug the maf while the car is running there is no change. But if I try and start with it unplugged it won't start.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Ya replaced the alternator. Swapped sensors from left to right. I unplugged it no change. Unplugged the other it wouldn't set a code for the other side just the p0340. I was thinking maybe the vct? Also if I unplug the maf while the car is running there is no change. But if I try and start with it unplugged it won't start.
I would say it's time to post this in tech (if you haven't already).

You may even be able to get a mod to move it for you... but a new thread is probably better.

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
Took the car to a friends house and pulled the timing cover and re times everything. No more check engine light!!! April 12th tech and register at bandimere. And the drs just came in!!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back