Tinting windows, auto window down up feature disabling?

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
Just got the precut tint I ordered, Been tinting windows since I was 16 (late 30s now) but never on a vehicle that has the windows roll down and up when opening the doors.

Im waiting for a warmer weekend and after installing the tint , the windows cant be rolled up or down for a couple days and worried this auto window up down feature will screw it up.
Anyway to disable it?
Anyone else tint there windows there self? What did you do?

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Leave them cracked and it will defeat the auto door opening feature. You can't open and close the door with them full up the window hangs and it will push the tint down as it makes contact.

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
Shes in garage, im thinking maybe ill just disconnect battery with windows up and barely shut doors and just not drive it for a couple days.
I guess cracking windows a little might work too

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
Shes in garage, im thinking maybe ill just disconnect battery with windows up and barely shut doors and just not drive it for a couple days.
I guess cracking windows a little might work too

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Had mine tinted on the '09 Bullitt and son's '16 GT...both have the window "crack" feature and neither had issues w/the tint getting peeled/damaged. I think you'll be fine...

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Had mine tinted on the '09 Bullitt and son's '16 GT...both have the window "crack" feature and neither had issues w/the tint getting peeled/damaged. I think you'll be fine...
How far from the top edge of the window is your tint, we usually run ours up to the very edge of the glass and have had the door seal push on the tint if it's too fresh.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
I'll check this weekend...right now she's covered-up/hibernating for winter, but weather's getting into 50's (rare warming) and I have to get some information off the registration for taxes. I believe it's all the waty to edge, but could be wrong...more to follow.

AnotherS197

forum member
Reaction score
Mine was pre-cut and directly to the edge, and I never had an issue either. Doesn't hurt to take precaution either I suppose.

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
Got the back window and quarters tinted.....back window took FOREVER to shrink. Dont know if it was the film I ordered or my heatgun not getting hot enough. Or maybe im just rusty, couldnt find my squeegee and noone sold one so had to make due cleaning with hardcards.

Was being all carefull getting in backseat with wet tint in hand and trip on seat baserail and rubbed tint all over inside headliner lol. It didnt turn out bad though...can laugh now but was pissed. Lol

Hopefully can get door windows done sometime this week or weekend.

20180218_181417.jpg

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
I stand corrected...mine's exactly like EBABlacknChrome (above)...1/16" down from edges.

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
back window took FOREVER to shrink. Dont know if it was the film I ordered or my heatgun not getting hot enough.
Never seen it done or had it done that way. 11 or 12 cars and trucks done by the same guy but have never seen him use a heat gun or hair drier. When he did my mustang in turned out like shit and he even said so when he tint my new truck last year. He was having a rough patch in life at that time (divorce, moved his shop). He uses baby shampoo and water in small garden sprayer. The awkward back seat is a PITA to do anything back there needless holding that big ass wet sheet of plastic. Looks good.

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
ive tinted probably over 100 vehicles in my life. Its really convenient now with the precuts but back windows especially HAVE to be preshrunk on the outside or youll have bubbles and "fingers" all over the edges. Theres just too much compound curvature for a flat film to fit on the curved glass. I have a few embedded hairs stuck behind my back window tint that I can see now that its cured- from tripping with the tint when climbing in backseat, its only noticeable up close but im a bit of a perfectionist and it bugs the crap out of me. Thinking about louvers now lol.

On the door windows I just popped some bolts in the door latches to trick the sensor that the doors were shut and left them partially cracked open for a couple days untill i was sure tint was cured, worked great.

Grubb

forum member
Reaction score
All you have to do is use a screwdriver to close the door latches with the doors open, then while pulling the door handle flip them back open with a screwdriver. Its surprising how many new cars are like this, works on everything from Ford to Benz

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back