Tips for removing ball joints

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
I have searched everywhere and I cannot find much information on replacing ball joints. The only information I can find is that the control arm needs to be replaced with the ball joint. I have also read that you don't need to do this :confused: I heard you can simply press out the old ball joint while it is still on the car. This is the route that I am hoping to go. I have the ball joints and I have a ball joint press. My question is, what parts do I have to remove to before I start clamping down with the press? and b) should I be trying to press it out from the top or from the bottom.

I have never done this before but I have wrenched a lot of things in the past. Any tips or directions would help greatly. I'm trying to do with removing as little parts as possible.

Thank you

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for that! These are great instructions. The instructions in the Moog box sucked as they were very generic. I'm off to give it another kick at the can!

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I recently had to take them out for a k member install. First take the bolt completely out as the ball joint has a failsafe and locating groove that won't let it come out until the bolt is removed. Next, knock the ball joint out. I had to knock one out and one just required a push. I reused the control arms.

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
OK, first stumbling block. In the instructions it says to remove that cotter pin on the crown nut (didn't have one just a regular nut) and it should fall out. Well I removed the nut that was there but it certainly didn't fall out. Is this piece threaded in and I have to wrench it out somehow or should I get a big f'ing hammer and force it out?

steering.jpg

killr3v

Hector G.
Reaction score
That looks like the tie rod

Sent from my galaxy II while double clutching and blowing the welds on the intake.

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
That looks like the tie rod

Sent from my galaxy II while double clutching and blowing the welds on the intake.

It is but how do you get the bolt out?

Back to the question.... is it threaded in or can I just knock it out with my air chisel or something?

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Tap it out with a hammer. You don't want to trash the boot. In fact, I'd use a grease needle and squirt a little grease under the boot when you reassemble.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I recently had to take them out for a k member install. First take the bolt completely out as the ball joint has a failsafe and locating groove that won't let it come out until the bolt is removed. Next, knock the ball joint out. I had to knock one out and one just required a push. I reused the control arms.

This is what you need to do.

OK, first stumbling block. In the instructions it says to remove that cotter pin on the crown nut (didn't have one just a regular nut) and it should fall out. Well I removed the nut that was there but it certainly didn't fall out. Is this piece threaded in and I have to wrench it out somehow or should I get a big f'ing hammer and force it out?

steering.jpg

The instruction link wasn't for an s197. Like the others have said that's the tie rod. The ball joint fastener will take an 18mm and 15mm.

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
This is what you need to do.

The instruction link wasn't for an s197. Like the others have said that's the tie rod. The ball joint fastener will take an 18mm and 15mm.

Just to clarify... I know that was a tie rod end but I had to remove it so I could get the knuckle out of the way. I hit it a few times with a hammer but it wouldn't budge. I was concerned that it was threaded on to something. Just needed a bigger hammer and out it came. The rest of the ball joint removal went according to plan.... now to get the f*cker back in and that is already proving to be a problem. Just need to figure out the exact pieces of the press to use. Also, how do you know when it has been pressed all the way in? Does it pop like when it came out?

ControlArm.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
If it's in correctly then you'll be able to install the retaining bolt. If you can't get the bolt in then it's not in place yet.

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
If it's in correctly then you'll be able to install the retaining bolt. If you can't get the bolt in then it's not in place yet.

Shitty! So I have to remove the press and check to see if the bolt goes through ok and if it doesn't I have to load up the press again and giver some more?? Oh man, what have I gotten myself into?

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
Just take your time. I put some X5 balljoints in and they only took a 12 pack to do it. Mine have a c clip you have to install so that's when I knew they were in far enough. My suggestion is just push them in as far as they will go. Fwiw I did not have to pull the tie rod of the spindle. Just move it out of the way with a bungee.

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
Fwiw I did not have to pull the tie rod of the spindle. Just move it out of the way with a bungee.

I didn't have to take mine off either. Just had to detach it. All is good so far now but won't be able to get back on it until later today. Putting the new one in looks like a pain.

SD07GT

forum member
Reaction score
Look into a c-cup installer ..takes five minutes aside!

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, I have successfully removed the ball joint and now I'm working getting the new one in.

1) Does the snap ring go on before or after the ball joint is pressed in?
2) when pressing the ball joint in do you press it in so that the weight is on the spindle

IMG_0542.jpg

or right by the groove where the snap ring goes by using a sleeve?

IMG_0543.jpg

I'm guessing that the snap ring goes on after it is pressed in or else it gets in the way. I'm also guessing that you don't want to push it in using the spindle (or w/e it is called) as it will damage the joint. However, it seems it would be easier to get it in by cranking on the spindle. I'm worried the sleeve will slip off and get stuck on top of the ball joint.

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
I managed to get the ball joint in. According to the instructions I was to push the ball joint out from the top and push the new one in from the same direction. I could not get it to go no matter what I tried. So, I pushed it in from the bottom and it went in. I'm not sure if I have it in far enough yet because I do not have a decent snap ring pliers to get the snap ring on. It "looks" to me like it is in as far as it has to go though. What a shitty job. glad it doesn't have to be done very often.

Oh, and to top it all off I now have a tear in the boot.

IMG_0544.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back