Tired of waiting on a axle brace? Look inside!

DNT H8

Reaction score
So after bending a stock axle at the track (1.5 60) and tired of waiting for other company's to bring theirs too production I called TeamZ.
Come to find out after talking with Dave Jr they didn't make a brace of any kind for a S197, Dave said give me 2 days I'll fab up a brace for you... Well here it is. Big shout to TeamZ for knocking it out in under a week to my door lol.

Brace welded in, tubes welded, and Stange axles... Should hold some power.

f1ec597862029f6968705b54198df6da.jpg
af7b8b69bb2a3873d737b2cef78c7075.jpg
e7741e6a5a557f220602d8d7866b2ca0.jpg

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
It's nice.

But, that's not what my customers want. They want a bolt on solution. We could bend and notch/cope a tube Like that, and a few may buy it. The majority want a bolt on part. Unfortunately, "bolting on" isn't the most effective means of resisting axle tube deflection and twisting.

You should see some of the axle tube bracing systems TRZ has done for the S197.

DNT H8

Reaction score
I'm sure the BMR brace will be amazing quality like my other BMR parts, however I was in a position that I had to act. Just letting my fellow consumers know what options are out there.
Yes you are correct "bolt on's" might not fit extreme use and some don't have the luxury of doing what I did... I'll have to check out them TRZ parts thanks.

DNT H8

Reaction score
Because I cut 1.5 60's all day lol... A one price DS is more important right now.

zeroescape

forum member
Reaction score
I would think its more important to brace the axle in the plane parallel with the ground. The weight of the car plus dynamic effects produce a force vertical and creating a moment (torque) at the differential housing but the majority of the force comes from wheel producing a horizontal force and torque on a different axis at the differential. Id stay 1500 to 2000 lbs force on each rear wheel for a 1g launch. Most of this force goes through the lcas but in return creates another moment in the axis of the axle.

So end results in a axle being pushed forward, up, and also twisted to the rear by the lca.

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
There's no room in these cars for a weld in parallel brace like there was in the older cars. God knows it would be easier than bracing the lower side. But that doesn't preven the twist.

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
I would think its more important to brace the axle in the plane parallel with the ground. The weight of the car plus dynamic effects produce a force vertical and creating a moment (torque) at the differential housing but the majority of the force comes from wheel producing a horizontal force and torque on a different axis at the differential. Id stay 1500 to 2000 lbs force on each rear wheel for a 1g launch. Most of this force goes through the lcas but in return creates another moment in the axis of the axle.

So end results in a axle being pushed forward, up, and also twisted to the rear by the lca.

What you are saying is in plan view (top down, front of diff to ends) rather than front view (center bottom of diff to outside). I would agree that this direction would be more beneficial except that the axle doesn't really flex that much in that direction, or up and down in the direction the OP has braced his. Really the axle doesn't have that big of change in toe or camber on launch or while cornering.

This brace, like the other aftermarket braces do not address the issues surrounding the 8.8 axle which is rotational forces on the tubes. This will have some very minor effect on that force but it places all the stress in the weld points on the differential and isn't strong in that direction. In other words, added weight, little added strength.

My $0.02

DNT H8

Reaction score
This brace, like the other aftermarket braces do not address the issues surrounding the 8.8 axle which is rotational forces on the tubes. This will have some very minor effect on that force but it places all the stress in the weld points on the differential and isn't strong in that direction. In other words, added weight, little added strength.
Could not disagree more... Stick to cone dodging.

DNT H8

Reaction score
One major thing that TeamZ says keeps the diff's together is welding the tubes properly, and I would agree with probably the leading 60 ft company out there lol...

black2008gt

GT500 NOOB
Reaction score
What you are saying is in plan view (top down, front of diff to ends) rather than front view (center bottom of diff to outside). I would agree that this direction would be more beneficial except that the axle doesn't really flex that much in that direction, or up and down in the direction the OP has braced his. Really the axle doesn't have that big of change in toe or camber on launch or while cornering.

My $0.02

+1 just looking at the positioning of the rearend of cars that twisted axletubes tells me this brace will not be effective.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Could not disagree more... Stick to cone dodging.
Disagree? Then where's the tech, n00b? Everything Whiskey said is correct from a technical and engineering standpoint. That brace you have is dead weight.
One major thing that TeamZ says keeps the diff's together is welding the tubes properly, and I would agree with probably the leading 60 ft company out there lol...
Then why did you bother with the brace if welding the tubes is effective? And who the fuck is TeamZ?!

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
Disagree? Then where's the tech, n00b? Everything Whiskey said is correct from a technical and engineering standpoint. That brace you have is dead weight.
It's not dead weight. There are entirely too many cars going way too fast w gusseting. Guys are twisting w no bracing and little hp. Unbraced, these higher hp rears wouldn't live. Something must be keeping them alive.

Then why did you bother with the brace if welding the tubes is effective? And who the fuck is TeamZ?!
Welding the tubes only prevent the plug welds from slipping. It doesn't keep the tube from twisting torsionally at the axle ends. The tubing also wants to bow on the hit, which on top of the obvious negative reasons, throws off the car's instant center side to side and makes the car dance.
Team Z, Ford Cobra Jet program maybe?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's not dead weight. There are entirely too many cars going way too fast w gusseting. Guys are twisting w no bracing and little hp. Unbraced, these higher hp rears wouldn't live. Something must be keeping them alive.

Welding the tubes only prevent the plug welds from slipping. It doesn't keep the tube from twisting torsionally at the axle ends. The tubing also wants to bow on the hit, which on top of the obvious negative reasons, throws off the car's instant center side to side and makes the car dance.
Team Z, Ford Cobra Jet program maybe?

How does that brace prevent the tube from twisting at the axle ends? (Not trying to be a dickhead towards you; I'm genuinely curious.) I thought most of the axle failures we were seeing on the S197 8.8" rear were a result of the axle tubes twisting at the differential housing end.

And I also thought most of the really high-power cars were using custom 9" units from Strange, Moser, and the like. Those entire axle units are one big brace!

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
How does that brace prevent the tube from twisting at the axle ends? (Not trying to be a dickhead towards you; I'm genuinely curious.)
I don't think that's your intent. The pinion climbs the ring. That causes the rear to rotate backwards. The lca's are one thing that prevents that. When the lca's don't give, the tubing stays put, and the pumpkin keeps rotating when the plugs break. By putting tubing out to the end you're attempting to keep the tubing from turning at the end. Kind of like grabbing a dog by the head when it tries to shake itself dry after a bath lol. It's not a perfect system. A long tube has little leverage. But I like to think of it like an extension on a ratchet. Long ones will twist before the shorter. But if you grabbed the extension near the head, you'd be able to prevent the load transferring to the socket. Tubing works very similar. The load is transferred partially to the tube and pumpkin to resist the twisting. I've typed this out over a two hour period while moving the shop. Hopefully it makes sense lol

And I also thought most of the really high-power cars were using custom 9" units from Strange, Moser, and the like. Those entire axle units are one big brace!
Yeah, they are stout! I have a moser CM 3.5 tube unit here I need to shorten and add brackets to. Impressive unit. But some crazies keep the factory unit.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back