Tires are done, what is next?

bolivianpimp

Reaction score
Well i had my 275 - 35- 20 Nitto's for exactly 20k miles and the thread is almost gone. Just now coming home my tire pressure got low, and i managed to pull over at a gas station and pump air (this tire has gone flat before) and make it home. So anyways, i need 2 new tires for the back, I have 20x10 wheels. I like the way the nittos grabbed on the street, but i am just wondering if there are any other tires that are better/equal or bang for the buck. I thought about just putting 20" drag radials in preparation for having a supercharger later, but this car is my daily driver so i am worried about being caught in the rain. I haven't ruled out the d/r yet, but i am leaning more towards the best/good value tire that i can run on the street to hook like a mofo, but also have somewhat decent mileage out of it and be driveable in bad weather. Thanks for opinion. :helpme:

Also, what is the biggest size i can run? I have eibach pro-kit on the car BTW.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I run a tire with an overall diameter of 28.8" with Prokit springs. I don't think I can run anything taller than that.

DSC_0557.jpg

forum member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what kind of Nittos are you running?

bolivianpimp

Reaction score
I run a tire with an overall diameter of 28.8" with Prokit springs. I don't think I can run anything taller than that.

How do you compute your tire height? curious as to what my current tire height is, or what is the biggest size i can run on the 20's.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of Nittos are you running?

Im running nittos 555

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
I'm running Nitto NT555R 305/35/20s in the back, they hook like a mother fucker on the street but between hard driving and burn outs at the track they aren't lasting. I have maybe 4,000-5,000 miles on them and they are going to be done in a couple thousand miles. Nitto NT555Rs aren't bad in the rain by any means. It's a Mustang, you shouldn't be driving like a ricer in the rain anyways. Another tire to check out is the Nitto NT05.

bolivianpimp

Reaction score
I'm running Nitto NT555R 305/35/20s in the back, they hook like a mother fucker on the street but between hard driving and burn outs at the track they aren't lasting. I have maybe 4,000-5,000 miles on them and they are going to be done in a couple thousand miles. Nitto NT555Rs aren't bad in the rain by any means. It's a Mustang, you shouldn't be driving like a ricer in the rain anyways. Another tire to check out is the Nitto NT05.

Nitto has the 555r, 555, nt05, and invo. Obviously the drag radials are the best hooking ones, but out of the other 3, what is the main difference? I looked up the prices and its about $500 for the 555, NT05, and INVO two back tires on ebay (discount direct tire). Is one better than the others? Thread patterns are definitely all very different.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nitto has a 555R II now its the extreme drag redesigned for autocross i will be trying those next. The 555r is a great tire on the street works great in the rain better than street tires in my opinion but your only going to get 4 to 7 k miles depending on your driving habbits.

bolivianpimp

Reaction score
Nitto has a 555R II now its the extreme drag redesigned for autocross i will be trying those next. The 555r is a great tire on the street works great in the rain better than street tires in my opinion but your only going to get 4 to 7 k miles depending on your driving habbits.

I would love to get that instant hook with the drag radials, but I just cannot afford to get 5-7k miels out of them, at least not yet. I will be getting a s/c in about 5-6 months, but they would be wore out by then lol. I will probably buy those 555r once i get the FI.
What is the biggest size that we can fit with eibach pro-kit (1.5" drop) ?

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
I would love to get that instant hook with the drag radials, but I just cannot afford to get 5-7k miels out of them, at least not yet. I will be getting a s/c in about 5-6 months, but they would be wore out by then lol. I will probably buy those 555r once i get the FI.
What is the biggest size that we can fit with eibach pro-kit (1.5" drop) ?

Bigger than you can fit on your wheels probably. 315s will fit with a 11" wide wheel. I'll be posting pictures of it in a couple months. I'd just get the Nitto NT05s if I were you.

brady_f

D1SC
Reaction score
I've been running the 555's and they have been pretty good so far. Got tired of replacing tires all the time and switched from the 555r....they have been good to me ever since.

07 Boss

Reaction score
How do you compute your tire height? curious as to what my current tire height is, or what is the biggest size i can run on the 20's.

tread width x aspect ratio = sidewall height (metric)

Sidewall height (metric) / 25.4 = sidewall height (inches)

sidewall height (inches) x 2 (2 sidewalls in the diameter) + rim diameter = tire height.

275 mm x 35% = 96.25 mm

96.25 mm / 25.4 = 3.79"

3.79" x 2 + 20" = 27.58"

bolivianpimp

Reaction score
Bigger than you can fit on your wheels probably. 315s will fit with a 11" wide wheel. I'll be posting pictures of it in a couple months. I'd just get the Nitto NT05s if I were you.

Yeah i figure its probable a 285 or 295. I've heard a lot of good things about those NT05 from many people now, they say they get the best dry pavement grip out of the three?

I've been running the 555's and they have been pretty good so far. Got tired of replacing tires all the time and switched from the 555r....they have been good to me ever since.

Yeah this is why i didnt want to get drag radials yet, i dont have a s/c yet and my tires are going to wear out quick! My 555 were good to mee too.

tread width x aspect ratio = sidewall height (metric)

Sidewall height (metric) / 25.4 = sidewall height (inches)

sidewall height (inches) x 2 (2 sidewalls in the diameter) + rim diameter = tire height.

275 mm x 35% = 96.25 mm

96.25 mm / 25.4 = 3.79"

3.79" x 2 + 20" = 27.58"

scientific method! a 285 or 295 is 28-28.5 which i think would fit. Your tires are meaty as shit!

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Well there's no way they get better dry traction than any drag radial but they probably are the next best STREET tire.

07 Boss

Reaction score
scientific method! a 285 or 295 is 28-28.5 which i think would fit. Your tires are meaty as shit!

Mine are 305/45/18 Nitto DR's. I don't think you can go bigger than that. A 295/35/20 would be 28.13" in diameter which is about a 1/2" shorter than what I have. I don't think they make that size in a DR but I'm pretty sure the NT05 comes in that size.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Mine are 305/45/18 Nitto DR's. I don't think you can go bigger than that. A 295/35/20 would be 28.13" in diameter which is about a 1/2" shorter than what I have. I don't think they make that size in a DR but I'm pretty sure the NT05 comes in that size.

What do you mean by bigger? 315s fit with Steeda Sport springs which are about the same drop as the Eibach Pro Kit. I'm running 305s with plenty of clearance to go wider with the Steeda Sport springs. Height wise there's no more room.

bolivianpimp

Reaction score

Im about to go check and see which ones of the nitto tires have tires bigger than 275's. Good to know i can fit bigger ones.

What do you mean by bigger? 315s fit with Steeda Sport springs which are about the same drop as the Eibach Pro Kit. I'm running 305s with plenty of clearance to go wider with the Steeda Sport springs. Height wise there's no more room.

Dang man you fit 315 with the same drop, i was wondering if i could even go up 1 or 2 sizes not 4 lol. :thumb2:

Shades

Reaction score
I would be curious to know! but i only got 20k out of mine. :yuck:

haha, how hard did you run them?

Also since I'm a daily driver, the only thing I'm worried about is getting caught in the snow, I have another car to use when it snows but in NY you never know when this shit comes. Any idea how these things hold up in the snow?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back