To GT or to GT500...need some advice

arabbit

12 inch member
Reaction score
Hey guys I need some advice. Right now I have an 05 GT, 85k miles, bolt ons (TB, UDP's, Intake, Exhaust, Tune, suspension, etc) and alot done to the exterior. Recently I've been looking at build threads for the 4.6 GT's and seeing how much work goes into them. I dont have any set horsepower goal, I just get frustrated to hear that the 4.6 has major issues over 500hp unless they are built. So, I went and looked at an 08 GT500 today, which I loved, but I'm not sure it's worth selling mine and paying about 20000$ difference.

Here's my question: For those who have built 4.6's and those who own GT500's, do you have any helpful input? If I keep the GT, I'd like to buy the S&H turbo kit, eibach coilovers, brembo conversion, etc and eventually build the motor for over 500 hp. But is it worth it? I dont want a high horsepower GT that is constantly breaking or requiring alot of attention. But at the same time, I *hear* that the 07-09 GT500's are great in a straight line, but theyre heavy and dont handle well. I primarily want to do road course, so handling and power are both a consideration, I want something well rounded (and I dont want a coyote, I want to stick with this body style).

Here is my GT now
552092_3615014291403_543243390_n.jpg

Here is the GT500 I looked at today:

531272_4148878557676_1677593814_n.jpg

So people that have been here tell me...is building a 4.6 worth it, or should I stop the modding now and switch over to a GT500 for a high horsepower, reliable, street and road course Mustang? I could afford either route, I just can't decide whats going to end up being the right choice and its driving me nuts. Thanks!

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
if you want a courseable gt500, you'll drop easy 10k if not more on brakes, suspension, driveshaft, pulley, intake, tune. Stock GT500s are dogs until you get all that stuff upgraded to where it makes the power of a car with a live rear axle. Pops dropped 20k on his 07 gt500 to make it able to handle a track day. Bottom line, you love your current GT and you'll learn so much if you drop a stroker and 6060 in that sucker. YOU WONT

stang06gt

forum member
Reaction score
for that price and you want to road course? C5Z/C6 hands down IMO
Go test drive one.
Honestly if you boost a 4.6 you will at some point be rebuilding it sooner than later.

Last edited:

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Building the GT yourself is the cheaper route. If you don't wanna do the work then it's a no brainer. GT500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It seems like a better platform out of the box but it really isnt, not an 07-09 gt500 anyway. You will drop just as much money into the gt500 as you would the GT plus the additional cost of the car and insurance for the gt500.

kenneth

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If those are the only 2 cars your considering, get rid of the GT as fast as you can and jump into the GT500.

You'll spend a ton of money getting the GT to 500+ reliable, where as CAI,pulley,tune and your already above that mark with the GT500.

As far as suspension goes, it looks like you would be upgrading either car you go with.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
He's looking at 20k in additional debt for the shelby. That is more than he needs to build the GT if he does most of the work. Throw labor in there and I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Well, it all depends on what he's willing to spend and what his goal is. First off, GT500's are not "pigs" - they're a few hundred more pounds than a GT, and that can be remedied by springs and D-Specs. Second, you get a hell of a lot more than just 200 extra hp for your money - a much better engine and transmission, much better brakes, and generally speaking a much nicer interior. Not to mention the body itself.

You can find used, extremely low mileage GT500's for less than the price of a new 5.0, down in the very low 30's or even very high 20's. To me, it was worth every penny. I was looking at going forged and blown, and after you add all that up (and the fuel system, tune, etc) I was looking at well over 10K to mod my GT. It made more sense to start with a better platform.

brent_G

Custom User Title
Reaction score
how comparable is that price of the gt500 to a new or newer 5.0?

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
If I was in your shoes I'd go with the gt500, itll hold its value in the long run, has a great motor/tranny,, nice interior, etc. You can do some bolt ons and really wake it up. I drove a 2010 and wasnt impressed, didnt feel near as responsive as my Saleen. I love my Saleen, so Ill just build it the way I like it and thats that. Just think of what will make you happier in the long run.

GerRod

forum member
Reaction score
I'd just build my GT for about $6k to $7k vs $20k plus $5k in upgrades. The 07-09s bone stock are probably in the power range of an 11+ 5.0 with bolt-ons, ~ 425rwhp (500 bhp @ 15% drivetrain loss), but 400lbs heavier. If you want to flex your muscle, you're going to spend some money on the GT500!

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When you mod the 4.6 you get the satisfaction of picking every part that goes on it. The fun part of being a hotrodder. If you bought the GT500 and didn't touch it, you might actually come out a little ahead and be dead reliable. But most guys don't leave them alone and your baseline pricewise is now much higher.

bullitt6019

Boss Jockey
Reaction score
I had 2008 GT500, and I loved it. However you were correct it is somewhat heavy and it is better in a straight-line . That being said, I did road course it with a few minor suspension mods.....
I sold it and recently have become an owner of the new GT with the Brembo brake package. Lighter, nimbler and nearly as fast as the stock GT500, but way quicker around a race track.....The 2007-2009 GT 500 is a performance bargain if you can find one unmolested...

HankyGT

Make it three yards mf'r
Reaction score
Weight difference is most notable when it's all in the nose. It's a bit tougher to deal with.

I agree 10000% on go drive a c5z. Runs like my blown 4.6 (Which was buku $$$ to do right and not even forged) yet when you hit 3rd/4th instead of hitting the brakes you just want to pitch it into a turn. They feel absolutely awesome and back it up at the track religeously.

If you really just want open track and want your stang, keep the GT over the GT500. You don't need the hp or the weight, or even the taller geared trans. Less weight, brakes, tires, and a healthy (350-370rwhp) n/a setup will go pretty far on the track.

Things that you need to look at are longevity standpoint items. Cooling, oil temp, oil starvation, sustained high rpm use etc. That might be the only thing I can see the gt500 benifitting, but I can't say how much as it's still blown and more heat.

Heavier cars will also eat tires/brakes regardless of the suspension.

Get it light, get it to rev, and get it to be happy there with bigass brakes.

Ie: Go get the c5z or pickup someones used track car for the $. I'm way over c5z cost already. It sucks.

arabbit

12 inch member
Reaction score
Cool guys, lots of good advice so far. What I'm gathering is that building a GT would be probably more cost effective, but is going to need some upkeep, and would be a little lighter and tighter than the GT500 on a track. But the fact that the GT500 was made for high hp and can reliably make it without breaking is a huge plus to me, plus with the passing of Carroll Shelby, they may be the last of their kind. I'm still leaning a little toward the GT500...are there any more GT500 owners here that can tell me if it is really worth it to do? I mean they come out to cost less than a 2013 5.0 and it is my favorite body style, so its sounding better and better to me.

And on a side note, even though I want a track car, I definitely will not be leaving the Mustang family. As much as they arent specifically built for road course, I love them and wont be moving to anything else.

Thanks for all the input so far, keep it coming! Im still having a hard time here. I would love to hear more from current GT500 owners and high hp 05-09 GT owners on what theyve experienced.

Wlkn Tal

forum member
Reaction score
I wouldn't limit your options to just the 500's. Start looking for a new or used boss with track package. For me I'm past the point of no return, I have too much invested in my car to turn back now, I'll lose my ass.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back