To GT or to GT500...need some advice

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
I would stick with your GT and started with a new block from JPC racing or JDM engineering and add on as your have the cash.

I got an Aluminator while they were still available and have been adding on as I can afford it and this spring will be adding a SC already did brakes, BMR stuff, suspension, exhaust, gauges, etc..

It is slower going but I own the title, have no payments or debt on it.

arabbit

12 inch member
Reaction score
I wouldn't limit your options to just the 500's. Start looking for a new or used boss with track package. For me I'm past the point of no return, I have too much invested in my car to turn back now, I'll lose my ass.

Well really my plan is for now to get a badass 05-09 S197 because thats the body style I love, but later on down the road I want to buy one of the 11-14 Mustangs as well, and make that a seperate project. So whenever I could afford a second Stang in the far future I will be looking at that generation, but for now I'd like to stick with the early ones.

MilehighGT

forum member
Reaction score
Are you in Colorado? I am guessing by the Courtesy Ford plate frame on the GT500. I have thought about this same idea but cannot get past how much they are asking for the GT500's. I cant seem to find anything under 37, seems they even went up since Shelby's passing.

In your case I would lean towards modding your car, the only downside being the mileage. You can get away with much more boost at this altitude than sea level. I know of 3 4.6's around here running much more than 10 psi and they have stayed together without issues. One user on here (RedS197) has a Shelby GT running I think 13 psi, LT's, cam's, basically enough to pop a motor at sea level with ease yet his car stays together and runs great. He had another Whipple car with high boost and that ran great as well.

My Kenne Bell car shows just under 9 psi with an 11 psi pulley and I have trapped within 3 mph of an Intake/tune/DR 2011 GT500.

Of course if you aren't in CO then forget everything I just said. :dunce:

brent_G

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Are you in Colorado? I am guessing by the Courtesy Ford plate frame on the GT500. I have thought about this same idea but cannot get past how much they are asking for the GT500's. I cant seem to find anything under 37, seems they even went up since Shelby's passing.

In your case I would lean towards modding your car, the only downside being the mileage. You can get away with much more boost at this altitude than sea level. I know of 3 4.6's around here running much more than 10 psi and they have stayed together without issues. One user on here (RedS197) has a Shelby GT running I think 13 psi, LT's, cam's, basically enough to pop a motor at sea level with ease yet his car stays together and runs great. He had another Whipple car with high boost and that ran great as well.

My Kenne Bell car shows just under 9 psi with an 11 psi pulley and I have trapped within 3 mph of an Intake/tune/DR 2011 GT500.

That's why I asked too because I've only seen one other for 38k. And a new 13 for 80k.

charlie123

forum member
Reaction score
I would just stay with your current vehicle a lot of things can happen between now and then and putting yourself in more debt is not a good idea.

kenneth

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

So at 9psi. your still trapping slower than a GT500 that's probably showing 7-7.5 psi. (corrected to youe elevation)
FYI the intake on that GT500 most likely is a minimul increase in power being that ALOT of GT500's are running the TVS supercharger and still using the stock intake.

arabbit

12 inch member
Reaction score

Haha yes Im in CO, and thanks for the input! They are indeed selling it at 36k but were pretty willing to negotiate the price and the $$ for my trade-in. I mean...what price should I be looking at for an 08 GT500? If I could find one for 30-32k it would be an easier choice. Yeah that is true with the altitude, but I may not be living here much longer, so that wouldnt help me quite as much. I see alot of people on here building 4.6's, but honestly in addition to racing, I want a car that I can reliably take on trips and normal daily driving as well, and ALOT of people modding the 4.6 above 500hp have a hell of a time maintaining their systems (it seems). The GT500 could do it reliably, buut is a bit more pricey.

iRoush

Roush God
Reaction score
Do a GT500 swap. It's a bit of work on the 05 compared to the 07 I have, but I love mine! Getting close to 600rwhp and I'm not done yet. :)

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread. But you would have to sell your car and finance $20k to get the GT500... and then drop another $5-8k to reach your performance goals.

That is enough to keep your old car AND buy a new GT.

It doesn't make sense to spend that kind of coin to end up with a 500hp Mustang. If you really want to track a car, find a high mileage C5 and beat on it. It will cost less, and a 400hp N/A 3200lb Corvette will whip the hell out of a a 500hp supercharged 3700lb Mustang on any course, any day.

JLear

2014 GT
Reaction score
Ever consider a 03/04 cobra? They handle well and can safely make alot of hp. I understand that it might not be your favorite body style, but they can be picked up for alot less than a gt500 or 5.0.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ever consider a 03/04 cobra? They handle well and can safely make alot of hp. I understand that it might not be your favorite body style, but they can be picked up for alot less than a gt500 or 5.0.

They handle OK, but it's still based on the Fox platform, which isn't very stiff at all. Stiffening up the chassis on the SN95/New Edge helps a LOT.

JLear

2014 GT
Reaction score
They handle OK, but it's still based on the Fox platform, which isn't very stiff at all. Stiffening up the chassis on the SN95/New Edge helps a LOT.

I was always under the impression that the irs was a better platform to road race as opposed to straight axle? Forgive me because I know nothing about road course action, but I thought my 04 handled quite well on the curvy country roads where I live lol.

arabbit

12 inch member
Reaction score
I decided no on the GT500, I actually have been reading alot about all the advancements that the 11+ have, and even though I like the 05-09 look better, the new plan is to play with my current GT for awhile, and in the meantime save up for a big down payment for a 2012 Boss. The Boss seems to have everything that I'm looking for, especially because I want to do road course, and Im fine with my GT in the meantime.

GerRod

forum member
Reaction score
The ageless question, to build or buy...it's a hard question for others to answer. If you got the money, buy ( a 13 GT500 preferably ... don't even need a pulley or tune). If you don't, build...

topbliss

Reaction score
Put the difference of th e$20 k in your GT and you will be beating everything including a GT500, easy.. Easy answer.. Build your car

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back