top nut on the strut tower removal

97camastang06

forum member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried removing the top nut on the strut tower while it's still on the car??
I was in the process of upgrading my shocks and struts and got my struts out of my car compressed the springs and went to take the top off and the fucking thing just rotates and turns. I called up a.m. And they recommended an impact which I don't have. Or just doing it while the cars on the ground and break the nut loose. I tried some searching and YouTube videos and I think it was late model restoration that actually suggest doing it while it's on the car still. Any thoughts ?

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You are wrenching on your car, TECH would have been fine.

Set it back down and see what happens.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yea wasn't sure due to it being a question on how to. What do you mean set it back down and see what happens

They suggested setting it on the ground and breaking it free in your first post.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Or you could go down to the local auto parts store, borrow spring compressors, and do it right. I don't get all these gyrations people do to avoid using spring compressors & safely disassemble the strut/springs. It's not that much of a hassle, especially considering if things go wrong.

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
Didn't OP say in his first post that he compressed the springs?

That's how I read it. Best I remember, we used a piece of plywood wedged in there to keep the strut from turning while we wrenched on the nut after we got the springs compressed.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Spinning and spinning the strut rod can't be great on the seals - however they do rotate when you turn the steering wheel, afaik.

I drilled out a spark plug socket (15/16"?) so that a 1/4 drive would fit through the former 1/2" square drive hole. Put a box end wrench on the spark plug socket hex, a 1/4" drive 1/4" socket (or whatever the heck the formed hex on the top of the strut is,) hold the strut rod with the 1/4" drive socket and spin it off with the box end.

Someone had a picture of it on here at one point. Slick setup.

bcb06gt

Reaction score
I have a set of male hex sockets. I use the correct socket size and an open wrench. Never a problem.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back