Top speed

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
that's some good info right there, and much appreciated. so let's say theoretically if said iat's were monitored, a nice easy shift was made and didn't stay on it for too long... would there be any safe way to see what she can do? i realize that most likely a stupid question with an obvious answer, but if its at least possible... i mean, with just my current mod level (n/a) it seemed to be climbing in rpms pretty good in 5th last time... i'd hate to think that i would be limited in top speed by adding forced induction

On a N/A car you don't have to worry about most of those issues, as long as the A/F ratio is right and you don't over rev it. Most top speed runs that you see done are not done at WOT the whole time, they work it up to a certain speed and then gradually start pushing the car to WOT in top gear. If IAT's were monitored and detonation as well and no WOT shift into 5th yes a run can be done safely up to top speed.

Also the problem comes from having an engine already pushed past its design envelope say for a drag car or street / strip car with a relatively aggressive tune and you add all of those other factors in and its no surprise when an engine fails.

dubba07

Reaction score
With my old tires and before the blower or a tune to correct the speed i pinned the speedo so about 151 mph for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigmachano

Weapon IX
Reaction score
once again, greatly appreciated info there! that makes sense to me. i highly doubt that i will ever drive the car all out wot anyway until MUCH FURTHER DOWN THE ROAD after everything is built and strenghtened. thanks again

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Found this from a car like mine...
24awz94.jpg

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Just under 150 with CAI and Tune. . . . . in reverse. Gnaw on that, lol

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
174 mph... and no, it was not on a public road.

How does the 3v feel when it hits 150? Is it struggling or does it still want to go?

At 150 the motor was strong and the car felt safe/stable. Ran out of revs at 174. The Summitomo's were like pudding. I was not comfortable at those speeds. 1 mile every 20 seconds is scary.

antonio1988

Redline: 8600rpm
Reaction score
Went up to 166mph in the stang before I traded it in, felt like it had a bit more in it but I backed off. I already hit 183mph in the z06, crazy thing is it felt like I was only going 50! How's that for being well mannered?!

*Disclaimer* Top speed runs done in Mexico

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
This one time, at band camp, I hit 88MPH and ended up in the old west. . . . .

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
Went up to 166mph in the stang before I traded it in, felt like it had a bit more in it but I backed off. I already hit 183mph in the z06, crazy thing is it felt like I was only going 50! How's that for being well mannered?!

*Disclaimer* Top speed runs done in Mexico

Isn't it weird how you look up at the heads up and you do a double take because it feels like your not going that fast?

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
With an intake/tune and otherwise stock I hit 140. The car felt pretty good and didn't feel like it was floating much. The steering was pretty good to, not much vibe. Still scared me though. You go off the road that fast you're gonna die almost for sure.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
buck 20 and felt uneasy taking it any higher was getting quite a bit of float(with stock susp) also the hood was fluttering like a sob and i don't want that thing coming back at over 100mph.

JesseW.

forum member
Reaction score
178 mph gps'd. with an aftercooled v2, headers, o/r h. closed course of course. it was on a cold night, iat's were around 80 on top end. pretty rock solid and had more in it but a slight curve on the course was coming up. the stock rear shocks are bouncey at 150 in a slight curve. i also have no rear spoiler, that might have something to do with that.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back