touching up rock chips on screaming yellow

Bad06stang

forum member
Reaction score
hey guys, my father has a 2005 screaming yellow GT with 27K miles on it. It has been sitting in the garage for the last three years and the first day it got registered he let me drive it and a bird decided to kill itself on the front fender about 2 minutes into my driving and put some nice chips in it. needless to say my father didnt think it was as funny as I did. So now comes the time of touching it up. We put some touch up paint on it but it looks like shit. The problem is that the screaming yellow paint is so thin you have to put like 5 layers on before you cant see primer anymore and to be honest it looked better showing the primer. So I have a porter cable with M105 at my disposal, what is the proper procedure to wet sanding and buffing out touch up paint on such a light color? My dad is really upset since he bought the car brand new in 2004 about a week after they first came out and went all this time without a single mark in the paint. I would really like to get this sorted out for him. thanks guys!

20130529_185710_zpsc9ba2775.jpg

Last edited:

Bill220

forum member
Reaction score
You can try Dr. Color Chip. It won't fill in the chips to the point where it's level with the surrounding paint but it hides chips fairly well.

Another alternative is to find somebody in your area that specializes in fixing chips by filling them in and sanding to level out and blend in the chip. I was going to attempt this myself on my car but chickened out and used Dr. Color Chip instead.

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
Were you fairily impressed with how the Dr. Color Chip worked?

I've got some fine, but deep enough to show white, scratches in my black paint. I've been looking for something that will hid them a bit....but I don't want to do the crappy touch up paint thing.

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
Don't mean to :deadhorse:
But if anyone has used this, I'm intrested in some feed back. I've read the reviews on the site but would like to actually get some feed back from members here who have used it.

Bill220

forum member
Reaction score
I have a DHG 09 Bullitt and for the most part the Dr Color Chip hides small nicks and chips pretty well. However, it's not going to restore the repaired area to a flawless/new condition.

I've used it on scratches with decent results. Just be sure to follow the instructions and clean the area to be repaired with an IPA/water solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
I have a DHG 09 Bullitt and for the most part the Dr Color Chip hides small nicks and chips pretty well. However, it's not going to restore the repaired area to a flawless/new condition.

I've used it on scratches with decent results. Just be sure to follow the instructions and clean the area to be repaired with an IPA/water solution.

Right, I didn't think it would be as effective as a repaint. I just have a few small rock chips that I would like to cover as well as a small fine scratch that's down to the primer that I was hoping to hide.

Bill220

forum member
Reaction score
Only way to find out is give it a try. Just be sure that you prep the area well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
You could use touch up paint then mix some clear and hardner up dab it on till its higher then the chip. Let it set up and harden for a day or 2 then wet sand it flat and buff. May not look perfect but should look alot better then any other method

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back