Toyo Proxes 1 295/35/18

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
2:12-2:16 for most of the ones I've seen. And then there is Mike Roush who drifts around the track. I think I timed him at around 2:09. I'm not sure if he is on this site or not, but the guy can drive.

I would think an AI time is pretty good. It's a street car right?

Stephen31201

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, my car is a full interior street car with a lead weight in the front called a Magnuson 112. A lot of suspension mods, in fact coil overs was the only thing left.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Yeah, my car is a full interior street car with a lead weight in the front called a Magnuson 112. A lot of suspension mods, in fact coil overs was the only thing left.

I would be pretty happy with a AI time then.

Are the coilovers adjustable? Don't be too bummed out if it goes slower when you first drive it. I just helped a buddy set his car up. It was a fucking mess out of the box. It took 6 sessions. And I know a massive amount about setup.

Mike Rousch

Official Vendor
Reaction score
The AI guys go around 2:06-2:07 depending on the weather, Chris Cobetto holds the record with a 2:05.something. I generally go 2:03ish and have been 2:02's a handful of times in good weather with just me in the car and actually trying to go fast. That is with about 15hp over what AI is allowed but all other things being legal.

The 11inch set up can not be rotated from front to back ( different offsets?). I think you would be better off running 10's or 10 1/2's on 275 or 305 NT01's, The R888 gets greasy really fast on a heavy car. VIR will destroy a set of left side tires and especially the left rear in just one weekend if you drive the car hard, so i would strongly advise getting a set up that can be rotated.

The lap times on your car are going to be tricky as you know, If you cant get it done in the first lap its not going to get done at all. I bet with that blower after 2 laps your below what a decent n/a 3v is making for power. I would shoot for the 2:14 range and be very happy with it. If you have the right safety equipment in the car (bar and belts) i would be more then happy to get in there with you and show you some pointers, The uphill s's, 10, carasel, and hog pen are places that can drop seconds off the lap.

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
The 11inch set up can not be rotated from front to back ( different offsets?).
The Vorshlag setup can't be rotated.

I'm 99% sure that if the correct spacers/setup is chosen 11's can be run all the way around. I need to get out in the shop and verify this.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Are you saying you ran the North Course at a 1:15 lap time?

No, no. Just speculating on a lap time improvement at a more "normal' lap time. A motorcycle has never done a 1:15 around the North Course.

I was in the 1:26-27 range going full tilt during a sprint race. Track day or endurance race pace would be about 4 sec slower.

Stephen31201

forum member
Reaction score
I have seen you drive Mike and would absolutely appreciate the pointers! The lap times I was referring to of the AI class were the times we clocked off at the last event at VIR that they ran, and it was about 90+ outside. In fact you were there, I remember seeing the orange mustang. That was the day you were drifting down roller coaster into hog pen. I have seats and six point harnesses but no roll bar yet. When will you be back to VIR? I'm running Patriot course this weekend and TSCC next weekend.

And yeah DOB, I kinda figured its going to be like starting over again. I'm sure sway bar settings, ride height, tire pressures etc will all have to be changed. Back to the drawing board but hopefully a way better end result.

Mike Rousch

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I have seen you drive Mike and would absolutely appreciate the pointers! The lap times I was referring to of the AI class were the times we clocked off at the last event at VIR that they ran, and it was about 90+ outside. In fact you were there, I remember seeing the orange mustang. That was the day you were drifting down roller coaster into hog pen. I have seats and six point harnesses but no roll bar yet. When will you be back to VIR? I'm running Patriot course this weekend and TSCC next weekend.

And yeah DOB, I kinda figured its going to be like starting over again. I'm sure sway bar settings, ride height, tire pressures etc will all have to be changed. Back to the drawing board but hopefully a way better end result.

Yes sir, I remember who you are! Yeh everyone was pretty slow that weekend, I think the fast time in AI was like 2:09 something. The track was a greasy shitty mess. I will be at TSCC also and NASA in early Oct, Call Watson and get a bolt in 4 point, There pretty gravy to put in. You are starting to go fast enough to need one now:cheersman:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Just a couple things to remember about AI....I'm sure many of you know this, but for anyone who doesn't-

They're full race cars
Limited to a 275 Toyo RR on a 9.5" wheel
9:1 power weight without ABS, 9.5:1 power/weight with 05+ Ford ABS

Mike Rousch

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Just a couple things to remember about AI....I'm sure many of you know this, but for anyone who doesn't-

They're full race cars
Limited to a 275 Toyo RR on a 9.5" wheel
9:1 power weight without ABS, 9.5:1 power/weight with 05+ Ford ABS

Correct, I built mine around the AI rules in anticipation of maybe W2W one day.

Stephen31201

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, but no one (ME) likes getting passed by a similar car (Meaning anything that has 4 wheels) :trophy: I'm sure Ill end up selling this car eventually to build something that I can actually race in a class such as AI. But for now, its run what ya brung and first man to the finish line still wins. And Mike, if you get bored and don't mind riding along a couple laps it would be greatly appreciated!

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
No, no. Just speculating on a lap time improvement at a more "normal' lap time. A motorcycle has never done a 1:15 around the North Course.

I was in the 1:26-27 range going full tilt during a sprint race. Track day or endurance race pace would be about 4 sec slower.

Good thing, since I was gonna recommend you start schooling the AMA/WSB/MotoGP guys IF you were claiming 1:15's.

My best around the North course was 35's some 12 or so years ago and the top level AMA guys at the time were turning 28's.

It's been a long time and I'd have to imagine chassis/suspension/tires have gotten loads better over the years.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Good thing, since I was gonna recommend you start schooling the AMA/WSB/MotoGP guys IF you were claiming 1:15's.

My best around the North course was 35's some 12 or so years ago and the top level AMA guys at the time were turning 28's.

It's been a long time and I'd have to imagine chassis/suspension/tires have gotten loads better over the years.

In 2003 Yates got pole with a 1:25.07. So they were cooking back then even.:head3: I think Mladin still has the lap record from back then-ish somewhere in the 23's.

The last time I was there in 2006 (I think that was the last time) I was on a SBK spec GSXR1000 making a little over 200 to the wheel with full on SBK forks and mag 16.5's running the Pirelli WSBK slicks. The slowest thing on the bike was me. It probably would have gone faster if I jumped off.:Big Laugh:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Yeah, but no one (ME) likes getting passed by a similar car (Meaning anything that has 4 wheels) :trophy: I'm sure Ill end up selling this car eventually to build something that I can actually race in a class such as AI. But for now, its run what ya brung and first man to the finish line still wins. And Mike, if you get bored and don't mind riding along a couple laps it would be greatly appreciated!

The only thing worse than getting passed. Is getting passed in a straight line.:frown:

Mike Rousch

Official Vendor
Reaction score

As long as you get a bar in there i will be more then happy to get in there with you and show you a few things!

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
The Vorshlag setup can't be rotated.

I'm 99% sure that if the correct spacers/setup is chosen 11's can be run all the way around. I need to get out in the shop and verify this.

I have Jongbloeds 18x10.5s, 7.75 BS. Run all around with a 5/8" spacer up front. 11s could be done but would probably need more spacer up front, the rim can come inboard further in the rear bought these used or they would be 11s. Will probably order Forgestars for next season I really don't like running that big of a spacer.

Stephen31201

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah that's about a grand for the roll bar so that won't be in there until winter. So just pull off a plug wire and I'll follow your line around the track.

tbrock

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I decided on 295/35/18 Nitto NT05's I realize not the best track tire, but with two teenage boys, who play multiple sports I'm lucky to get a couple of track days a year I'm content. Michelin Pilots Sports would have been a better option, but they are back ordered at most shops and price was a little more than the budget could afford. Car will be much better than last track day with BMR watts, Koni yellows, and wider stickier NT05's. The Nitto 555's are good daily tires but easy to exceed the limits on the track.

SlowJim

forum member
Reaction score
I run NT05's in that size. Size is a perfect fit for these cars and they are decent for autox. Will get greasy quick at a road course so make sure to watch your psi and spray them down between sessions.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back