Track Day - Brakes a little warm

Philostang

Chrome Hater
Reaction score
I used to run a dedicated rotor/pad combo until I started using all Carbotech pads for street and track. You can then just swap from their street compound ("Bobcats") to whatever track compound you like (XP10s or XP12s) and back without having to resurface the rotors. Once the rotors are dead (be it on track or on the street), then you swap out and bed them once. *PLUG ALERT* I have an almost new set of Bobcats for sale for GT calipers - half price!

I still do the same with the Stoptech's, since changing pads on those is so easy it's scary, but changing rotors is the same ole / same ole as changing OEM rotors. I'm not a fan of doing it with such frequency.

A dedicated rotor does give you a bit of peace of mind, as you can cook them and still get home. Or you do as you already do and bring a spare along. I don't think a dedicated rotor would help with using more of the pad surface, because that's a function of caliper design and eventual fatigue (i.e. spreading).

Also, I don't think running a dedicated caliper would be worth it...hurts me just thinking about it.

Best,
-j

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
I used to run a dedicated rotor/pad combo until I started using all Carbotech pads for street and track. You can then just swap from their street compound ("Bobcats") to whatever track compound you like (XP10s or XP12s) and back without having to resurface the rotors. Once the rotors are dead (be it on track or on the street), then you swap out and bed them once. *PLUG ALERT* I have an almost new set of Bobcats for sale for GT calipers - half price!

I still do the same with the Stoptech's, since changing pads on those is so easy it's scary, but changing rotors is the same ole / same ole as changing OEM rotors. I'm not a fan of doing it with such frequency.

A dedicated rotor does give you a bit of peace of mind, as you can cook them and still get home. Or you do as you already do and bring a spare along. I don't think a dedicated rotor would help with using more of the pad surface, because that's a function of caliper design and eventual fatigue (i.e. spreading).

Also, I don't think running a dedicated caliper would be worth it...hurts me just thinking about it.

Best,
-j

Note I said "part of the reason" lol. Since I run the Brembos, the stock bulletts(my street wheels) will not fit over them. So effectively, I run a different pad/rotor/caliper/wheel/tire combo at the track. I'm not chewing up my R compounds on the street.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back