Tranny issue

assasinator

1000hp turbo 4v
Reaction score
It is what JPC is running in there car. Least they told me that. Will be out in spring.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

i was there at bowling green when the blew the tranny AND rear end up. helped them push it back to the trailer.

Khell

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same problem man with 5th gear. I've gotta wait 3 friggen weeks though to take it to the dealer lol. Totally booked till like February 11. But I can go into gear smoothly if I granny shift it so I'll be ok till then I suppose.

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
I'm having the exact same problem man with 5th gear. I've gotta wait 3 friggen weeks though to take it to the dealer lol. Totally booked till like February 11. But I can go into gear smoothly if I granny shift it so I'll be ok till then I suppose.

Mine don't go smooth at all. But least I'm not only one with issue.

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
And uncle Phil and George don't take this wrong but

Cough Fuck you Cough cough Lol.

Just have to rub it in huh. It's all good though. I said if do over I would get an auto

Mishri

forum member
Reaction score
Wow.. Holy cow.. I thought these transmisions were supposed to be much better than the old 5 spd as far as holding power.. tons of people are running 450-500whp on those... hmmz. I am disapoint.

I saw those 10 second runs on the stock tranny so I thought they would be better. Makes me wonder how the automatic tranny is going to hold up for most people and not just a few passes for a youtube video like ive seen. I ordered an Automatic 2012.

assasinator

1000hp turbo 4v
Reaction score
Wow.. Holy cow.. I thought these transmisions were supposed to be much better than the old 5 spd as far as holding power.. tons of people are running 450-500whp on those... hmmz. I am disapoint.

I saw those 10 second runs on the stock tranny so I thought they would be better. Makes me wonder how the automatic tranny is going to hold up for most people and not just a few passes for a youtube video like ive seen. I ordered an Automatic 2012.

the auto is a great transmission. the GM version in the G8 IS stronger. it uses sprags to hold gears in shifting so its not totally synchronized.

synchronized shifting requires release of one clutch pack, while simultaneously closing another. flare from mis-timed shifts can damage the transmission.

that said, the ZF/ford/gm 6 speed auto is up to the task easily. it can handle big power from a heavy G8. and racers can gear it with 5.13 gears and use all 6. overdrive is simply a combination of existing ratios withing the 3 planetary gearsets. OD is not weak.

Last edited:

assasinator

1000hp turbo 4v
Reaction score
it might be wiser and faster to get a harness, pcm, and transmission from an auto car in the future.

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
Talked to dealer. They are ordering a whole new transmission. Waiting on call back to see what actually went wrong inside of it.

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
the auto is a great transmission. the GM version in the G8 IS stronger. it uses sprags to hold gears in shifting so its not totally synchronized.

synchronized shifting requires release of one clutch pack, while simultaneously closing another. flare from mis-timed shifts can damage the transmission.

that said, the ZF/ford/gm 6 speed auto is up to the task easily. it can handle big power from a heavy G8. and racers can gear it with 5.13 gears and use all 6. overdrive is simply a combination of existing ratios withing the 3 planetary gearsets. OD is not weak.

We better hope the 6L80 isn't stronger.

G8s are having trans failures above 550hp or so.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I have been very fortunate to not have had a single issue to date outside of notchy shifting when cold. My plans are:

Barton shifter
Alum. flywheel with twin disc clutch
Alum. D/S
Change tranny fluid to 75w90 gear oil

If I start having issues after those changes, I will not hesitate to swing down and pick up an auto. Money isn't an object and if I take a hit on my current 5.0 then so be it.

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
I have been very fortunate to not have had a single issue to date outside of notchy shifting when cold. My plans are:

Barton shifter
Alum. flywheel with twin disc clutch
Alum. D/S
Change tranny fluid to 75w90 gear oil

If I start having issues after those changes, I will not hesitate to swing down and pick up an auto. Money isn't an object and if I take a hit on my current 5.0 then so be it.
What clutch and flywheel?

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
My car is currently at the dealer with trans issues as well..

Mine grinds going into reverse, and is notchy from 1st to 2nd. Also, I have HORRIBLE whine in all forward gears, except for 5th and 6th. It sounds like I have a twin screw under the hood.. it's that loud.

So, the dealer has it torn down, and Ford has them going through a bunch of tests. They found some play in the rear end (which was also making noise), and a bad TOB. So, they're replacing that stuff, and the tech will road test it on Monday. He and I have talked, and we both know it's a bearing, or lash issue inside the trans. He said he's going to keep the car there until Ford agrees to give me a new trans. Cool guy.. :)

BTW, I've been to the drag strip twice.. I haven't been back because the car has horrible wheel hop. I need to get the suspension dialed in. I looked at the clutch and pressure plate yesterday at the dealer, and it has absolutely zero hot spots/glazing. It looks new.. I didn't have the issue with the pressure plate bolts backing out, either.

Travis

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
Good info. I had prior issues with tranny till 5th messed up. My new transmission is suppose to be here Monday.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back