TREMEC T56 Magnum S197 Transmission

bullitt boy

Reaction score
Shifts like butter is exactly right. No need to slam the gears at all they seem to jump right into place.
Thanks for the tip on the fluid.We put Mobil 1 synthetic ATF and it is as smooth as silk.

tommygodfrey

JPC Sales & Tech
Reaction score
If you answered it there, I must have missed it.
Does my Magnum XL complete conversion kit trans have carbon fiber blocker rings Or the old style sintered bronze?

Sorry Brady I did not see the thread bump. Yours is the standard unit direct from Tremec with the Bronze rings. Same unit we've ran and sold.

it's not what something has gone, it's what something can keep on going that counts! (In my book, anyway).

In most cases but something that is proven and still going is worth something?

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Holy shit !!! Why did I wait so long. This is a totally different animal jumps into gear with the greatest of ease. No binding or pushing to catch a shift a slight nudge and you're there.
Thank you JPC for a great deal on a killer package, Thank you Rob at Robs Performance for the quality work and attention to detail on the install.

I think you now are all set. :thumb2:

Congrads on the new gear.

Terry

HOLLYWD69

Reaction score
This is going to be my next upgrade for sure. I figure i need to strengthen up my drive train before i add any more power. Any suggestions on which ratio to go with? I do mostly street driving with an occasional trip to the drag strip. Im leaning toward the 2.66

bullitt boy

Reaction score
^ talk to the crew at JPC and review the middle of this thread. I think it all depends on the H/P you have or expect to end up with and what you do with the car.I can't comment on the 2.66 as we went with the 2.97 set up. Have only gotten to drive the car about 40 miles so far . After a bit more seat time I will report back.

HOLLYWD69

Reaction score
^ talk to the crew at JPC and review the middle of this thread. I think it all depends on the H/P you have or expect to end up with and what you do with the car.I can't comment on the 2.66 as we went with the 2.97 set up. Have only gotten to drive the car about 40 miles so far . After a bit more seat time I will report back.

Thanks for the input. Yea i have read this whole thread lol. Im at 470 hp 440 tq rite now but my plans are to build a high boost motor so Im want to get my drive train in order. It makes more sense to build the drive train to handle the power first. I will talk to jpc about what they think

gizmo5

Italian between my legs
Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on the JPC S197 magXL kit. What's the general labor fee that some of you have paid? I'm curious about the round about number so I can calculate that into my total cost?

Out with the old, in with the new complete install?

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on the JPC S197 magXL kit. What's the general labor fee that some of you have paid? I'm curious about the round about number so I can calculate that into my total cost?

Out with the old, in with the new complete install?

Not sure how much it would cost; maybe around $700?
You will need a new clutch.

I think most of us installed it ourselves.

gizmo5

Italian between my legs
Reaction score
How hard is the install? I installed my Paxton, all my BMR stuff including K member, and have done suspension work on other vehicles as well, but I've never jumped into trans/clutches. Should I just do it myself then?

gizmo5

Italian between my legs
Reaction score
Hmmm, I might go ahead and do this myself with a buddy or two.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
How hard is the install? I installed my Paxton, all my BMR stuff including K member, and have done suspension work on other vehicles as well, but I've never jumped into trans/clutches. Should I just do it myself then?

The hardest part will be pulling the 3650. You could do it no problem. It's mostly turning wrenches and crawling around under the car. Don't get me wrong, it's a pia but there are worse things.

bullitt boy

Reaction score
60 years old no lift or garage = me paying someone to do it for me. Installed new sway bar and end links in the driveway last week when I get a good stretch of weather will do my new rotors and brake pads but I had to draw the line some place.

HOLLYWD69

Reaction score
OK question, I can get a TR6060 with everything needed to install in my car (clutch, DS etc.) for about $3500. I need opinions, is it worth the extra $1500 for the T56. The plus with the T56 is everything is brand new and i like the higher overdrive. Other than saving a little money any upside to the TR6060?

bullitt boy

Reaction score
I do not think you will regret that choice.^ I am very happy with my set up and can't wait for the weather to break so i can some more seat time.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
OK question, I can get a TR6060 with everything needed to install in my car (clutch, DS etc.) for about $3500. I need opinions, is it worth the extra $1500 for the T56. The plus with the T56 is everything is brand new and i like the higher overdrive. Other than saving a little money any upside to the TR6060?

The 6060 came with two different sets of 5/6th gears. Up to 2008 it's .8 and .63, 2009+ is .74 and .5.

I haven't driven a Magnum. I have been driving a 6060 for a few years now and it's a night and day difference over the 3650. No matter what you go with it will be a huge improvement.

If I was in your place and the money wasn't a huge concern I'd get the Magnum. Like you said it's all brand new. You also get an sfi rated bellhousing. Are the two you are comparing apples to apples concerning included parts?

If you pieced a 6060 swap together yourself it could be done for under $2500 and that's with a new RST clutch.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back