TREMEC T56 Magnum S197 Transmission

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
So what kind of fluid is everyone using in these trans? I ready to do my install and need to buy some fluid.

I initially ran Red Line D4 ATF and found out it did not perform too well during cold days; gears were clashing.

I then swapped it out for Mobil 1 ATF and the shifting felt 100% smoother!!
I was later informed this transmission was designed using Mobil 1.

Last edited:

HOLLYWD69

Reaction score
I initially ran Red Line D4 ATF and found out it did not perform too well during cold days; gears were clashing.

I them swapped it out for Mobil 1 ATF and the shifting felt 100% smoother!!
I was later informed this transmission was designed using Mobil 1.

I was just about to ask about Mobil 1 LOL

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Most of the Corvette guys I know (including myself) prefer the Royal Purple Synchromax fluid over the Mobil 1 in our T56 transmissions for smoother shifting and performance. Never had an issue in over 7 years of using that product (daily driving and road course).

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Most of the Corvette guys I know (including myself) prefer the Royal Purple Synchromax fluid over the Mobil 1 in our T56 transmissions for smoother shifting and performance. Never had an issue in over 7 years of using that product (daily driving and road course).

How does it perform (shifting) in cold weather... 40-ish degree weather?

Might try it...

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
How does it perform (shifting) in cold weather... 40-ish degree weather?

Might try it...

No problem in 40 degree weather. I've never driven my Corvette during freezing temps (no traction), but smooth as silk in the 40s.

I think you'll like the results. It's the only Royal Purple product I recommend. Here are some threads on the Corvette Forum: LINK

Last edited:

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
The T56 transmission calls for fluid #88861800 (GM fluid spec/part number), which could equate to using Royal Purple Synchromax - check out this link.

Synchromax is recommended for manual transmissions that specify an automatic transmission fluid (ATF). There are a few good options. RP works for me.

Last edited:

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Its the twin discs causing the rattle in your transmission, but not all twin disc clutches are the same - same rattle, some don't. I tried one clutch brand and it rattled, then I went to the RPS twin disc in my Corvette and no rattle at all. Race parts vs. OEM; always a trade-off.

88_50

forum member
Reaction score
Wow, 51 pages. That only took all my day. Oh well, I was at work and got paid to read...haha

I think I have everything for my swap minus the driveshaft. What ds are you guys running? I got one quote from Tommy@JPC so far. Just want to see whats out there before I pull the trigger. I noticed the Dynotech has the rear spacer. My current one piece ds doesnt have the spacer. Its a direct fit. Im looking more for an Mag XL ds without the spacer. Any suggestions?

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Wow, 51 pages. That only took all my day. Oh well, I was at work and got paid to read...haha

I think I have everything for my swap minus the driveshaft. What ds are you guys running? I got one quote from Tommy@JPC so far. Just want to see whats out there before I pull the trigger. I noticed the Dynotech has the rear spacer. My current one piece ds doesnt have the spacer. Its a direct fit. Im looking more for an Mag XL ds without the spacer. Any suggestions?

My understanding is that there is only one option. I have the Dynotech with the adapter; not a spacer.
The OEM driveshaft has a spacer.

DSC08490.jpg

Here it is with the adapter installed:

DSC08492.jpg

Basically, the OEM driveshaft has a spacer, but its integrated into the CV joint.

This adapter simply provides a surface for the u-joint to bolt onto; the pinion interface is 6 bolts while the u-joint is 4 bolts.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back