Trying to Install Rear Shock Tower Brace...

OrangeKrate

Reaction score
...into my 2009 GT. The problem is that when I attempt to loosen the nut holding the shock piston shaft, the shock piston shaft turns with the nut. Online Shelby instructions offer, "Using the crescent wrench hold the top of the shock piston shaft while using the 15mm wrench to unbolt the upper mounting fastener." That's of no help because a crescent wrench simply won't keep the shock piston shaft from turning when I turn the nut.

My photo below shows what I'm dealing with. When I turn the nut (indicated by the red arrow and what Shelby calls an "upper mounting fastener"), the shaft (indicated by the green arrow) also turns. Is there some sort of special Ford tool that's designed to keep the shaft from turning while also turning the nut or am I relegated to a crescent wrench? Thanks.

621B92D5-8A85-4CAD-B3A5-84B3F12FA031_1_201_a.jpeg

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
Cut a small piece of rubber hose... Slide it over the threads leaving a little room for the nut to back off, then use vice grips to hold the shock shaft with the rubber hose piece protecting the threads from the vice grips.

Or... Sometime an impact gun will get the nut off... But to hold the shaft you'll have to take that same rubber hose piece I mentioned above and slice it open to go around the shock shaft from inside the fender well. You might have to get a helper to grip the shock shaft with vice grips using the rubber hose to protect the shaft. I also recommend cleaning the rubber hose and shaft with brake cleaner to get ride of any slippery substances, which will aid in the rubber grabbing the shaft when pinched by the vice grips.

Happy wrenching.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
A small battery powered impact wrench worked like a charm for me. For tightening the nut back up too. I don't know what I would have done without it.

OrangeKrate

Reaction score
The vice grips did keep the shaft from turning while my 15mm wrench turned the nut as it moved up the shock piston shaft. (See photo.)

But as the nut came up the shaft, I had to remove the vice grips to get them out of the way of the nut. Once the vice grips were no longer holding the shaft, the nut and shaft continued to turn the same way. In other words, I've been able to move the nut up the shaft, but it's not any looser.

Why isn't there a slot cut into the top of the shaft where one could fit in a slotted screw driver to hold it? The screwdriver would never be in the way of the nut or the wrench turning the nut.

The depressing thing is the online videos show no difficulty at removing the nut from the shock piston shaft.

I think I'm screwed here...

15448E41-905F-45DA-931C-C41A12482560.jpeg

JC SSP

Reaction score
Do you have an impact gun?

If not, try needle nose vice grip pliers on the very top nub. Your almost past the threads, that’s all you need to get the nut off.

OrangeKrate

Reaction score
I was able to remove the nut by using the needle nose pliers to hold the end of the shaft and keep it from moving. So both of the nuts ("upper mounting fasteners") have been removed. The next problem is that the specs say, "Once finished set the brace back in place and reattach the upper mounting fastener and tighten to 30 ft-lbs."

Before I mount the brace, I want to be sure that I'll be able to tighten the nut back down on the shaft. However, I still have the same problem. How do you torque down the nut when both nut and shaft both are turning in the same direction? Once my torque wrench is on the nut, the shaft is covered so there's no way to hold it with vice grips to keep the shaft from turning.

JC SSP

Reaction score
I have never installed a rear shock brace on a mustang but an impact gun will resolve your dilemma.

I have installed about 15 sets of rear shocks in mustangs and never used a torque wrench. I am assuming this has to do with the brace?

07 Boss

Reaction score
Why isn't there a slot cut into the top of the shaft where one could fit in a slotted screw driver to hold it? The screwdriver would never be in the way of the nut or the wrench turning the nut.

The depressing thing is the online videos show no difficulty at removing the nut from the shock piston shaft.

View attachment 87603

Why don't you cut your own slot in the top of the shaft???

Because it's not that difficult.

OrangeKrate

Reaction score
So I got the brace installed. Strangely enough, once I dropped the brace on, the shock piston shaft did not spin (at all) during tightening. This was a surprise as I'd already tried tightening the shaft (without the brace on) and they continued to spin. I don't know what effect the brace had on the shock piston shaft but regardless, once I put the shaft in place, the shaft didn't turn. Then it became an easy install.

Thanks to everyone who posted help! Even the suggestions I didn't use provided me with great ideas to help me figure this out.

Here are some pics of the install. Thanks again!

667DC69F-3B4C-4A34-BB91-11E77ED544CE.jpeg

8DE25496-29F2-422F-9187-5A40D4E9B520.jpeg

26676B2E-1443-4994-8571-1822F7C4AF75.jpeg

C8F055F4-C3B9-488E-AAE9-AC46C4D93DE8.jpeg

C29A1BC5-7702-435C-9E55-BC93BBBBC8A2.jpeg

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
The rear shock tower brace on my 05 needed to be welded in.

I have the steeda version...and it too had to be welded in. Unless it's welded into place, any rear strut brace isn't really doing anything.

Some lube on the threads would help, like never seize. The impact wrench is your friend. That specialized socket from amazon is perfect for the job.

Dunno if a nylock nut could be used....or not.

Flyin Low

Reaction score
A good 3/8 cordless impact will zip the nut right off, I installed the SR Performance Twin Brace rear shock tower brace on my 06 convert, I do a lot of winding back road driving, I noticed a major difference in how my mustang handled. I did end up welding my brace and to be honest I did not notice a big difference between it welded or not. What I liked about the SR twin brace is it has fingers that fit up against the trunk pan so it already is giving you more bracing, some of the rear shock tower braces just slip over the rear shock stud and rely on the torque value of the plate to hold everything in place. I agree welding it in place will give you the best performance for the application.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back