Tune only 15 Ecoboost great Torque!!!

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Wondering the same. I had a turbo Jetta with a curve like that. It was fun as hell to drive.

And if you have a 4 cylinder, just accept that it will sound like a 4 cylinder and move on. Fart cans are not acceptable.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wondering the same. I had a turbo Jetta with a curve like that. It was fun as hell to drive.

And if you have a 4 cylinder, just accept that it will sound like a 4 cylinder and move on. Fart cans are not acceptable.

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
If it can sound as decent as a WRX, that'd be acceptable.
The thing with the boxster engine in the WRX and STI the iconic sound came from an inefficient unequal length manifold. If you changed the exhaust manifold to an equal length you gained a lot of power but lost that sound everyone loved and known them for. I had an 05 WRX and 08 STI and even though I could have picked up serious gains from doing an equal length manifold I left it just to keep that sound. But with the 2.3 Ecoboost having an integrated manifold with a twinscroll set-up it is much more efficient and should have a unique sound all its own if that exhaust gets opened up due to the way the exhaust gas pulses are timed. Will it sound as good as a V8? Nope, never, IMO, but it sure as hell won't sound like a Honda.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see if there is any power to be had with aftermarket exhausts.

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see if there is any power to be had with aftermarket exhausts.
I'm guessing there will be, most turbo charged applications gain from opening up the exhaust to larger diameter with straight through design. And if Ford was concentrating on keeping things quiet just like they did with the coyote and adding the huge center resonator. I'm sure the ecoboost is corked up to high hell also.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wondering how much back pressure went into the design of the exhaust?

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
Wondering how much back pressure went into the design of the exhaust?
I will say a 3" downpipe with no cat to 2.5" no resonator or a smaller one and keeping the duals with a straight through muffler will gain 30-40whp tuned. Or a 3" all the way back with a single muffler design keeping the twin tips some how.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421023191198.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421023191198.jpg
    493 KB · Views: 48
  • uploadfromtaptalk1421023202033.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421023202033.jpg
    501 KB · Views: 42
  • uploadfromtaptalk1421023211778.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421023211778.jpg
    500.6 KB · Views: 40

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Different cars and engines I know but when I had my 2012 Focus and put a Borla on it there was some droaning.

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
Different cars and engines I know but when I had my 2012 Focus and put a Borla on it there was some droaning.
I had a 91 Laser 92 Eclipse 98 Talon 98 Eclipse 05 WRX 05 S2000 08 STI. Every one I picked an exhaust with performance in mind first and they ALL had drone on the highway unfortunately. I think it's pretty common in a 4 cylinder especially with no cats. Probably has something to do with how they are geared too though. My old 370 and my Mustang now had setups with no cats and are loud as fuq but I have no drone.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I suspect the 2.3 EB will sound kinda unique. The exhaust pulses do not travel very far before being merged in the turbo and dumped into the exhaust. That short path and the effect a turbo has on it would definitely impact the sound.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
I had a 91 Laser 92 Eclipse 98 Talon 98 Eclipse 05 WRX 05 S2000 08 STI. Every one I picked an exhaust with performance in mind first and they ALL had drone on the highway unfortunately. I think it's pretty common in a 4 cylinder especially with no cats. Probably has something to do with how they are geared too though. My old 370 and my Mustang now had setups with no cats and are loud as fuq but I have no drone.

For what it's worth from what I have been reading about exhausts on the ST and it seems like there are some setups with a cat less downpipes that don't drone.

brent_G

Custom User Title
Reaction score

Well after 5k rpm it drops off. In stick cars its so annoying to drive. You have to shift low to stay in the power band. Redline shifts take you out of the power band. So it feels good. The real flat. Shift. Feels good. Then flat.

I prefer power to pull hard to redline.

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
I suspect the 2.3 EB will sound kinda unique. The exhaust pulses do not travel very far before being merged in the turbo and dumped into the exhaust. That short path and the effect a turbo has on it would definitely impact the sound.
This is what I'm thinking too. The BMW N20 has a similar twin scroll turbo 4 and I have a heard a couple of these at work with an M sport muffler and didn't sound to bad. But keep in mind it was just an axle back. Still didn't compare to the sound of the N55 twin scroll turbo 6. Or the sweet sweet sound the coyote makes lol.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Didn't even pay attention to the dyno sheet that is like 400ft-lbs at 2k rpm and goes all downhill from there?

hmm looking forward to some 1/4 times with that curve!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back