Tune up questions! 2011+

blahdo_s197gt

forum member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I just picked up a 2011 Mustang GT Brembo Package. The vehicle has 40,000 miles on it and i'm looking to do a full tune up on it. I do have a few questions which I highlighted in red, is there anything else i'm missing that I should do at 40,000 miles? Thanks a lot everyone I appreciate all the feedback and help!

So far I have the following;

PS - I know the brakes need to be replaced as they're heat spots on the rotors and the brakes just don't bite like brembo's should.

StopTech Drilled & Slotted Rotors Front & Rear
Hawk Track Pads Front & Rear
Amsoil 75w-140 Gear oil
Amsoil 5w-20 100% Full Synthetic Oil (Should I go with the 5w-50? The oil cap says 5w-20 but I know the 2013-2014 track packages take 5w-50, why is that?)
Amsoil Oil Filter
Ford Motorcraft Transmission Fluid (Is there an amsoil alternative, or should I stick with the OEM crap?)
Ford Motorcraft Coolant - I'm draining the coolant completely and doing a flush.
NGK IRIDIUM IX PERFORMANCE SPARK PLUGS - HEAT RANGE 7 (What should the spark plug gap be on a stock Mustang GT that will eventually have an intake/flash and cat delete. Are these plugs recommended or should I stick with the OEM Pre-Gapped Plugs?)

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
First of all, changing fluids is not a tune-up, it's regular maintenance.

5/20 is fine, 5/50 adds some wear protection a really high stress situations like road course use but, are you doing that?

The oem stuff in your box is likely DCT fluid and is not crap. There isn't really a pressing need to replace this but, if you insist, you'll find amsoil doesn't recommend any of its fluids for this box because they don't match the exact specs of the oen fluid. Not saying you can't use their 75/90 MT fluid, just saying what they are saying. Redline MTL is really good in the MT82.

The Ford coolant is spectacularly good and I would not touch it. It is 100,000 mile ready.

Why are you contemplating dropping a heat range? Are you going nitrous or FI? If not, just use the regular heat range plugs (8) gapped at about.050. No way an intake and a cat delete needs these plugs. I need them because I shoot spray and FI through these engines.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Stock spark plugs. STOCK SPARK PLUGS.

Can I say this loud enough?

STOCK COPPER SPARK PLUGS.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Stock spark plugs. STOCK SPARK PLUGS.

Can I say this loud enough?

STOCK COPPER SPARK PLUGS.

The factory plugs are not a full copper. The core is but the tip is iridium.

Last edited:

blahdo_s197gt

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, ended up sticking with the OEM plugs/OEM Tranmission Fluid. Just went to amsoil today and picked up the 5w-20 oil/oil filter along with the rear diff fluid. Also changed out the coolant as well. I also ended up jumping the gun on the pypes cat deletes along with the JLT Intake/Tuner but i'm disapointed because I was looking forward to the ghost cam tune option through BAMA after watching YouTube videos and they didn't have the option for one. Way to spend $750.00 through AM when I could've just bought it from LethalPerformance smfh.

Would anyone happen to have a 91 Octane Race Ghost Cam Tune written for a 3.55 Rear axle ratio, Pypes Cat delete & a JLT Intake?

Back