UCA install questions...

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
are all the aftermarket UCA mounts the same for 05-12+?

Not exactly.

The stock 2005-2010 is different than the 2011+

The 2011+ Upper Control arm system utilizes a substantially larger bolt (that mounts the arm to the mount) It is roughly 2mm larger on the 2011+

The 2011+ also utilizes a longer Upper Control Arm from the factory. It is roughly 1" longer.

Here a pic I snapped. The smaller arm is a direct replacement for a 2005-2010.....the larger arm is a direct replacement for the 2011+

Attachments

• 0510 UCA VS 2011.jpg
    0510 UCA VS 2011.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 31

RSKtakR

Reaction score
the UCA MOUNT is what I was asking about lol. I know the UCA's themeslves are different

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
the UCA MOUNT is what I was asking about lol. I know the UCA's themeslves are different

IF the arm is different, then the mount has to be different.

As I stated, the bolt that mounts the arm to the mount, on the 2011+ is 2mm larger than the bolt on the 2005-2010.

So that means the mount has to have a larger hole.

Also, the arm on a 2011+ is longer.....so therefore the mount has got to be revised to accept the longer arm.

Just trying to help out and clarify things. I like for people who look in the tech section, to get good tech info.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
IF the arm is different, then the mount has to be different.

As I stated, the bolt that mounts the arm to the mount, on the 2011+ is 2mm larger than the bolt on the 2005-2010.

So that means the mount has to have a larger hole.

Also, the arm on a 2011+ is longer.....so therefore the mount has got to be revised to accept the longer arm.

Just trying to help out and clarify things. I like for people who look in the tech section, to get good tech info.

ok well that answers my question about a 2011+ specific UCA mount then.. lol I appreciate all the clairification!

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
ok well that answers my question about a 2011+ specific UCA mount then.. lol I appreciate all the clairification!

I am going to make a new thread.

I get this question multiple times daily from our customers.

Thanks for giving me the idea! Hope everything goes good with your install.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
its a 2011 I havent seen a a Chiltons for it YET.. and there arent any instructions provided w/ the UCA.

Im waiting until I get my LCA relocation brackets and then I will install everything at the sametime.. BTW thanks for the help everyone.

my bad

one would think directions are basically the same though. oh well

RSKtakR

Reaction score
Ok so here is everything that I recived w/ the UCA for my 2011.. I just need to know what washers/spacers go where, because for some reason it seems like this bolt isnt long enough. and its VERY tight going through the non bushing end of this UCA, and the bolt is about 1/2" in diameter.

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I assume the small washers on the bottom go into the stock mount, like shown in their directions.

I will also assume, since you have a 2011.....that the top set of washers will go on each side of the actual arm, between the arm and the mount.

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Ok so here is everything that I recived w/ the UCA for my 2011.. I just need to know what washers/spacers go where, because for some reason it seems like this bolt isnt long enough. and its VERY tight going through the non bushing end of this UCA, and the bolt is about 1/2" in diameter.

Kelly has been right on with all of his comments.

All of the hardware shown is for the bushing end of the UCA. I believe the difference between the inner diameter of all the hardware comes from the difference between the ID of the factory UCA mount and the ID of our heavy duty UCA mount. Large ID for the factory mount and smaller ID for our mount.

I'm sorry, I am more familiar with the installation on the 05-10 cars because my car is an '06, and I'm less familiar with the installation on the 11+ cars.

I'll iron this out in the morning and post in here.

Thanks for your patience!

RSKtakR

Reaction score
Kelly has been right on with all of his comments.

All of the hardware shown is for the bushing end of the UCA. I believe the difference between the inner diameter of all the hardware comes from the difference between the ID of the factory UCA mount and the ID of our heavy duty UCA mount. Large ID for the factory mount and smaller ID for our mount.

I'm sorry, I am more familiar with the installation on the 05-10 cars because my car is an '06, and I'm less familiar with the installation on the 11+ cars.

I'll iron this out in the morning and post in here.

Thanks for your patience!

I called and spoke w/ Jeremy lastnight. None of the hardware is needed really until I upgrade the UCA mount.. the sleeve is for the 05-10 cars, and I will need to use the aluminum washers w/ the larger holes due to the larger dia. bolt. EASY!

HOWEVER air/impact seems to be a requirement to get all this apart.. lastnight I was able to get the mount and UCA out of the car, that part is easy.. but I had to put it all back in because the I dont have air at home, and the there is NO leverage after that thing is pulled out to break the nut/bolt that hold the two together.. So I will be pulling it all apart at work today again, and using an impact to get that one bolt/nut loose. Again thanks for all the help guys!

cshiznitzj

forum member
Reaction score
It can be done without air tools. Install the control arm in the mount then install to the car.

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I called and spoke w/ Jeremy lastnight. None of the hardware is needed really until I upgrade the UCA mount.. the sleeve is for the 05-10 cars, and I will need to use the aluminum washers w/ the larger holes due to the larger dia. bolt. EASY!

HOWEVER air/impact seems to be a requirement to get all this apart.. lastnight I was able to get the mount and UCA out of the car, that part is easy.. but I had to put it all back in because the I dont have air at home, and the there is NO leverage after that thing is pulled out to break the nut/bolt that hold the two together.. So I will be pulling it all apart at work today again, and using an impact to get that one bolt/nut loose. Again thanks for all the help guys!

Cool, I'm glad you got it all straightened out! :thumb2:

jannypana

Banned
Reaction score
I would recommend having a shop install it unless you can get a drive-on lift or have a method to apply load to the suspension while in the air.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Kelly, I have your UCA and your mount but have not yet installed it.

Can you explain the purpose of the mount having 2 hole locations for the arm please?

Sure!

The upper hole of the two, is to place the Upper Control Arm angle at the stock angle, and the lower hole of the two, is to increase the Control Arm angle.... which will also increase the instant center angle.

Basically speaking, the tighter (smaller) the instant center angle, the harder the suspension will push the tires downward. (suspension separates the tires and the chassis)

Generally, on the average persons combination.....adjusting the instant center angle on the upper control arm will not be as beneficial as dropping the angle of the Rear Lower Control arms.

I can get more into depth about this phenomenon, but it is better to discuss via telephone.

Here is a picture I drew for a presentation on suspension, hopefully it will help you understand slightly where I am coming from;

AntiSquat.jpg

california gt

senior citizen member
Reaction score
Sure!

The upper hole of the two, is to place the Upper Control Arm angle at the stock angle, and the lower hole of the two, is to increase the Control Arm angle.... which will also increase the instant center angle.

Basically speaking, the tighter (smaller) the instant center angle, the harder the suspension will push the tires downward. (suspension separates the tires and the chassis)

Generally, on the average persons combination.....adjusting the instant center angle on the upper control arm will not be as beneficial as dropping the angle of the Rear Lower Control arms.

I can get more into depth about this phenomenon, but it is better to discuss via telephone.

Here is a picture I drew for a presentation on suspension, hopefully it will help you understand slightly where I am coming from;

AntiSquat.jpg

Thank you much. I will be calling. :thumb:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back