Upgraded battery for stereo...?

riored4v

Just Brew It
Reaction score
I have an aftermarket stereo and I've noticed some dimming at night so I'm considering changing the factory battery for a better one.

Just curious what batteries you guys are using?

Thanks!

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
My guess would be an optima. What kind of system are you running. Do you have any capacitors? I had a directed 1500 with two eclipse 12s with a1.0 cap. It worked pretty good

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
I've killed three optimas. Switched to interstate and have no problems.

riored4v

Just Brew It
Reaction score
I'm trying to avoid using any sort of caps on the system.

Was looking at a battery since it only seemed like a minor voltage drop that a battery might cure. I was having a hard time finding a good battery calling around to different stores so I posted here. Once i got home though I decided to check the voltage with my DMM, and it was dipping as low as 12.2v and that wasn't even full volume/gain, so I could see it potentially going under that if I'm not careful.

I'll be looking for a new alternator first. I dont think a battery will solve this one.

System is just an Audioque 1200d at 1ohm. So its running at the full 1200w rms with a 12" SSA ICON sub. Nothing crazy, but certainly more than the stock electrical can hang with, it seems.

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've killed three optimas. Switched to interstate and have no problems.

Went through 3 in my truck when I had a big system in it. Optima's suck balls.

Bought a capacitor and never had any issues after that .

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
Alternator and upgrade your big 3 wiring is where you need to go. Power is only as good as the wiring you have.

Gauge your wire size from a wire size chart that is what your system is rated at.
Capacitors are just band aids.

Optima batteries are good, but when they want to be charged, they will take everything your alternator has to charge up. Resulting in killing it.

Sent from my Ironman suit.

kylecm85

forum member
Reaction score
Alternator will help. Try to go up in amperage if you can. I know pa performance offers one aroun the 200 amp range. Stock is 130. That and a good battery should be all you need. Just or refrence. A cap is a waist of money. They are designed for sharp spikes not drawn out currant draws like bass causes.

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Don't waste your money on a PA Performance alternator. I just killed one and read about somebody else that did too.

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
I had problems the first couple days with my PA alternator as well. Car actually stalled a few times. I agree with others.....CAP is really the way to go. Going to actually help with your low end audio on the kick drums/etc.

kylecm85

forum member
Reaction score
A cap is not the way to go. It will be a bandaid for the problem. They where not designed for lots of bass. I never had a problem from my pa performance alt. but yes mechman makes a goo alt or Ohio generator.

despinos

Reaction score
I've had good luck with my optima yellow top, d-35. I am going on 4 years and 1.5 with the system. No dimming of lights at night.

15 Alpine type r dual 2ohm wired down to 1 ohm powered by a kicker 750 mono amp, Kenwood components all the way around powered by a kenwood 4 channel amp, and a kenwood head unit.

DRock

Reaction score
Caps are nearly a band aid and won't work really. In a low power system 1k or less rms it will do nothing more than ad a headache.

I agree with the big 3 upgrade to start!

riored4v

Just Brew It
Reaction score
Look into a Mechman alternator.

http://mechman.com/

They are not cheap, but do a very good job at power.

I've been talking back and forth with Mechman a bit and I think I'm going to go this route.

After posting the thread I went out with a DMM and was seeing some pretty heavy voltage drop with the stereo going, so I am pretty sure a battery won't resolve it. Likely going to go with a 240 amp alternator and the wiring upgrade and that should take care of things.

ummduh

forum member
Reaction score
ill just throw in with the dont go with a cap guys.

they rreally do more harm than good. you just need more alt.

optimas have been known to be crap since the mid 2000's. there are a lot better options out there.

go check out and do some reading at the caraudio.com forums.

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
I've been talking back and forth with Mechman a bit and I think I'm going to go this route.

After posting the thread I went out with a DMM and was seeing some pretty heavy voltage drop with the stereo going, so I am pretty sure a battery won't resolve it. Likely going to go with a 240 amp alternator and the wiring upgrade and that should take care of things.

Post pics when you get it.

riored4v

Just Brew It
Reaction score
ill just throw in with the dont go with a cap guys.

they rreally do more harm than good. you just need more alt.

optimas have been known to be crap since the mid 2000's. there are a lot better options out there.

go check out and do some reading at the caraudio.com forums.

Havent been on that site yet, but the couple car audio forums i'm on weren't able to recommend a battery. I was looking in to sears and interstate, but they (the companies) couldn't direct me towards a direct swap.

forum member
Reaction score
Like others have said, don't get a cap. It's a waste of money, time and headache installing it. What you can do 1st is do the big 3 upgrade with 0 gauge wire. I use welding cable as its ofc and not cca, and its pretty flexible. This fixed my dimming and I was running 2 db drive platinums and a rf t1500bdcp at 1 ohm.
If that doesn't resolve the issue add a second battery or replace yours with something like this.... http://www.shurikenonline.com/
The aq is actually pumping out close to 1400 watts and running at 1 ohm is causing all that strain on your electrical.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back