Valve covers

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yup... Paint peels off over time

Not if the prep is done correctly. Almost all paint problems can be traced back to poor or incorrect base prep. Like a house, a paint job is only as good as it's foundation.

On a side note....

I've seen conflicting reports...are the 3V cam covers magnesium or aluminum? Did they change someplace along the line?

allinon72

forum member
Reaction score
I need to paint mine but removing them seems like a pain so I am mentally preparing first :owned2:

GB10

8s coming soon?
Reaction score
Not if the prep is done correctly. Almost all paint problems can be traced back to poor or incorrect base prep. Like a house, a paint job is only as good as it's foundation.

On a side note....

I've seen conflicting reports...are the 3V cam covers magnesium or aluminum? Did they change someplace along the line?
Mixture of both accoring to the bottom of my valve covers. It has the symbol for both elements.

Irishman

Ricer
Reaction score
How are you cleaning them before powdercoating? Do you send them to get a heat bath or just wipe them down with a degreaser? I will be doing mine this summer.

Pumpkinfish

Johnny Quarter Mile
Reaction score
Irish, my powdercoater cleaned mine and prepped them for me. I would definitley call around and ask about prep as part of your market research. All my shop required was that I took them off and wiped as much of the oil off as possible.

06TORCHEDGT

forum member
Reaction score
try mothers mag/aluminum polish, i spent about an hour on the valve covers while on the car and it made a very noticable difference.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back