Valve Spring Selection

Drex

forum member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am upgrading cams and need advice/opinions. I purchased Comp camshafts - part number 127550. These should be a nice addition to my TVS blown 4.6. The car has 3:73 gears and is a 5 speed. Other than the TVS, Roush catback, and one-piece drive shaft, the car is stock with 35K miles.

I also bought Comp beehive springs (26125-24) and phaser kit to go with the cams. Pacesetter LT headers will be installed at the same time.

So, my installer/tuner here in Germany said he is not comfortable installing the beehive springs and stated he would require me to sign a disclosure statement stating he is not responsible for any possible damage related to the springs. He went on to say he has witnessed 5 separate failures with these springs locally in the past year or so. He asked me to buy a set of Manley springs instead.

I did some searching and sure enough, google returned a few instances where the beehive springs failed, although it's not clear (to me) whether it was the spring's fault or another component.

So my question is - are the beehive springs a good spring to use with the grind I am installing? If not, which spring should I use?

Should I buy new retainers?

Thanks for your advice. It's been so long since I posted here, I feel like a newb.

Below is a pic of my car - still makes me smile since 2009:)

45c47138.jpg

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't have a spring recommendation for that lift but I highly recommend you not use the Comp phaser limiters. They don't work correctly with the newer version phasers. I had one come apart and cost me a new engine, along with damage from the resulting fire. Get the phaser limiters from Livernois, much better design. http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92049 Read post #19

Comp makes two sets of springs. I think the failures were probably from running the lower lift limit springs with high lift cams. The springs you have are the correct ones and shouldn't be a problem.

Earl

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
The Manley springs won't handle the lift of 550 cams and are known for breaking. I'd keep the 125 (123 also won't handle the lift, maybe your guy is confused?). Phasers with limiters and 125 springs have a higher incidence of failure also, I'd lock the 550 cams out.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I had a set of the 125s break and cost me an engine. I'd look around for another set of springs.

silverstang07

forum member
Reaction score
What other options do you have besides the comps for a higher lift capable spring?

Drex

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies fellas. I'm having second thoughts about choosing 127550s now. If I had went with a NSR cam, I wouldn't be having this conversation! Honestly, my initial goal was to have a rough idle - which I could have gotten with a number of different grinds, but I wanted to use the opportunity to match my TVS and show a performance gain.

Based on the experience Early had, I will either lock the cams or go with a different phaser. And even though my gut tells me the 125s are a good spring, I will shop for some other springs - probably the Livernois. I don't want something to happen and not have a "warranty" to fall back on with the installer.

I'll have some brand new parts for sale soon.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Actually you usually have more down low since they are locked in full advance...you loose top end power and a little fuel economy.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The Livernois springs max out at .550 lift. Give Comp a call and see if you can swap the 550's for some 350's. This will give you the sound quality you're looking for and you can run the Livernois springs and phaser limiters instead of lockouts.

Earl

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back