VCT Failure or Malfunction?

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Recently installed a Procharger on the car and had it tuned. During the tune we had issues with cam angle causing knock. After checking the datalogs we found the cams were doing as the tune commanded up 'til about 4200 rpm. At that point the tune calls for 2.5* cam angle, but the logs show they're swinging from 0* to ~17*. The tuner tried several things to see if the VCT would respond differently, like basing them on load only and then assumed torqued only. Neither affected them differently, they still swing straight to 17*. It's not a smooth transition either, just 0* then hard pitch to 17*. He finally commanded the whole VCT table for WOT loads to 0* and the VCT sat there and we made a clean pass. Unfortunately my power curve falls short because of this and only has about 15* of spark in it in case VCT decides to just do what it wants. Power is falling off at 5250rpm with the cams locked at 0*.

I do have Comp phaser limiters in the phasers and these are stock cams, stock valve springs on max 9psi. So 20* is the max. I have a feeling the phaser springs have gone bad or something, only thing I can think to cause them to go full tilt. Not getting any CEL's and I've put 120 miles on the car since the dyno.

The car feels sluggish during normal driving. He left the VCT table stock for normal driving loads so it should do whatever stock commands. Off the pedal at a stop the cams sit at ~0*. As soon as I give it pedal and start to roll through gears the cams go right to 17* (via livewire monitor "actual cam angle" and "right bank cam angle"). I've done a rolling load test to see if there's any transition difference from the cam angle values to avail. In 4th gear starting at .30 load I roll the pedal down to .40 load, .50, .60. All through the load transition the cam angle remains the same, ~17*. At about .60 load the pedal is down far enough that the BOV wants to close and boost up so the cams instantly roll back to 0*. Could this by why the car feels like it's lost it's spunk during normal driving? Phasers gone bad?

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
I had a passenger side phaser crack, which caused issues very similar to yours; the cam angle would be all over the place. I was running 127300 cams and Livernois limiters.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
My cam angle isn't all over the place. It's pretty much all the way to 17* or all the way 0*. There's no transitioning anywhere. These are stock cams, stock springs, and low boost. I wouldn't think the VCT would have a hard time here. Thing that bugs me is if a phaser failed why isn't it all over the place? Why not be pegged at 20* where my limiters are at? Or at least be random through the rpm and gear changes.

On Bruce's advice I changed my oil back to 5w20. I had recently switched to 5w30, and was seeing higher oil pressures. The thought was perhaps the higher oil pressures could have been causing the issue. I suspect it isn't but it's worth a shot. Cheap fix if it is. Didn't see any differences under normal driving. Will know if it makes a difference at WOT tomorrow.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I did say I'd try a different oil but I'd also look at the solenoid screens first. Have you pulled them yet?

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
No. It's pretty brutal in Vegas right now. It's just going to have to wait.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back