Vibrating drive shaft

BlackDragon

Large Member
Reaction score
Phew... left a few minutes early and took a detour to mexico and ran it up to about 120. No vibrations.

Hope you get yours sorted out, but to add to the mystery, my driveshaft also has a little bit chewed off a corner.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes, I just got off the phone with them. They recommended I rotate 90* at a time and retest until vibration goes away. If that doesn't work to give them a call back.

Here's to hoping it works:beer:

Unfortunately I probably won't be able to get back to it until Saturday

Did you send them the pics to see if they considered that "normal"?

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I think the vibration is in the U Joint Cup being damaged like it is. With that damage shown, I bet that the needle bearings are displaced somehow.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I think the vibration is in the U Joint Cup being damaged like it is. With that damage shown, I bet that the needle bearings are displaced somehow.

That just looks like debris or a metal shaving of some sort. I'm sure the OP can verify if it's an actual crack or not, but it doesn't look like it.

GrabberBlue5.0

Gold Member
Reaction score
That just looks like debris or a metal shaving of some sort. I'm sure the OP can verify if it's an actual crack or not, but it doesn't look like it.

I can't very easily crawl under the car right now lol, and don't have time to jack it up. I vaguely remember seeing what you guys are referring to as the crack and I think it was some sort of this wire or debris or something. I don't remember 100% sure right now, but I'll be sure to update everything this Saturday when I rotate the driveshaft

travelers

Reaction score
I never saw one like that when I worked at a shop that made drive shafts with Dana Spicer parts and we were a large distributor for them. That weakens the flange adapter at that point.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I never saw one like that when I worked at a shop that made drive shafts with Dana Spicer parts and we were a large distributor for them. That weakens the flange adapter at that point.

Personally I have never seen that either. Generally when a shaft needs to be balanced, external weight is welded to it in specific locations!

jayman33

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, I just got off the phone with them. They recommended I rotate 90* at a time and retest until vibration goes away. If that doesn't work to give them a call back.

Here's to hoping it works:beer:

Unfortunately I probably won't be able to get back to it until Saturday

Just getting on, same thing they told me. Let me know if this doesn't take care of the situation. Sorry about the troubles brother.

GrabberBlue5.0

Gold Member
Reaction score

That was my thought too... I don't know enough about driveshafts or the engineering that goes into them to dispute it's integrity... But I do know that the integrity isn't what it would be if they hadn't ground it down.

GrabberBlue5.0

Gold Member
Reaction score
Small update: no new developments on getting rid of the vibration, but a little more on the adaptor flange. It seems that the adaptor flange is balanced separately and instead of adding weight (I'm not really even sure that is possible without it coming off at high speed) it has to be ground down, so this is nothing unusual from my understanding.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I get that they would need to be balanced independently. But if a casting needs that much ground off it to balance, maybe they should look at the quality of the casting and revise it. This is what makes the difference between a quality part, and a shoddy part.

I just installed a DSS shaft on my car (my flange looks normal), and I'm not 100% happy with it (slight vibration at 100). So this is no surprise to me. I'm going to clock mine and see if it improves.

Last edited:

GrabberBlue5.0

Gold Member
Reaction score
I get that they would need to be balanced independently. But if a casting needs that much ground off it to balance, maybe they should look at the quality of the casting and revise it. This is what makes the difference between a quality part, and a shoddy part.

I just installed a DSS shaft on my car (my flange looks normal), and I'm not 100% happy with it (slight vibration at 100). So this is no surprise to me. I'm going to clock mine and see if it improves.

Same issue? Hopefully clocking it will work. Nothing is ever perfectly balanced so all we can hope to do it get the heavy spots in the drivetrain directly put of sync with each other in hopes of off setting the heavy spots

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Same issue? Hopefully clocking it will work. Nothing is ever perfectly balanced so all we can hope to do it get the heavy spots in the drivetrain directly put of sync with each other in hopes of off setting the heavy spots

Yes I definitely have a light vibe with the new DSS. I'm also running 4.10's which really increases driveshaft speed compared with otheres. I will re-clock it and see if it changes. I've had good luck doing that in the past with my '03 Cobras and foxes.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back