vibration 60-90mph

warpig12354

too slow
Reaction score
I've searched and didnt find a definite answer. My car has always had a slight steering wheel shake around 60+ but lately seems to have gotten worse. I'm almost positive my alignment is fine but I guess thats always a possibility. I recently got AMR wheel/tire combo 18x9/18x10 with 255/45-18 in the front and 275/40-18 in the rear, the front tire size didnt change from my last set up. When I initially got the wheels it seemed that the shake had almost gone away but within a few days it was back and seemed worse than before so I got them rebalanced (road force) and it didnt really do anything. When my hand is on the wheel it shakes my watch and I can see my radar detector moving on the wind shield. This happens from random speeds from 60-90, like at 76 its fine then I speed up or slow down and it vibrates/shakes. Then above 90 it feels solid. I have koni orange shocks/stuts, BMR springs and GT500 mounts. I never adjusted the pinion angle after lowering it but don't see that all the sudden being a bigger issue now (stock ds). I've also had the tie rods replaced with in the last ~20,000 miles. Car has about 103,000 miles on it if that helps. The rotor clips are also off so thats not the issue. Thanks for the help. Im going to get them rebalanced today to see if that helps any.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
have you had the front brake rotors checked?

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
Variance in thickness. Typically any warp in the rotor will be mainly noticed while braking but can also be felt just while cruising if bad enough. At work on BMW's maximum variance is .030 of a mm and we have to measure 8 different spots around the rotor 25mm in from the edge on front rotors. Anything at or over that variance rotor needs to be replaced with new pads.

Last edited:

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
While your doing that check for play in control arms and wheel bearings...have all 4 wheels off the ground and try moving the wheel for play holding left and right and then top and bottom. It's best to have someone with you check to see where the play is coming from, if any, while you move the wheel.

warpig12354

too slow
Reaction score
I'll take a look at them and check for play as well, the pads and rotors aren't too used so I hope it's not that. Is there any chance of a poor alignment causing this?

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Make sure you don't have a random hub centric spacer on any corner. That would cause vibration. Amr wheels don't require them.

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
I'll take a look at them and check for play as well, the pads and rotors aren't too used so I hope it's not that. Is there any chance of a poor alignment causing this?
No, out of spec alignment wouldn't cause this unless it was due to a failing suspension component. Which could cause alignment to be out, but if said component is failing putting it back in spec won't help or last. If that makes sense. And there is not much adjustment on our cars anyway besides front tow. Unless you have CC plates or bolts and or adjustable control arms. And that wouldn't effect vibration unless they were loose. Hence why I suggest shaking down the wheels.

Last edited:

warpig12354

too slow
Reaction score
Turns out they're machine wasn't calibrated correctly last time, I went back today and they fixed it, vibrations are gone. Thanks for the help.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back