Vorshlag 2011 Mustang 5.0 GT - track/autocross/street Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's too bad.

There were also some "competitive irregularities" I witnessed that were absurd. Rules that changed on the fly, seemingly automatic disqualifications that were overturned, hot lapping of autocross course at weird times, etc. It all affected the results.

I have seen that before, at Michigan the regulars were "walking" the course on golf carts, really fast golf carts. I saw autocross laps "for TV" as well.

None the less, I think that is respectable finish.

Last edited:

Overtorqued

Reaction score
[removed my unrelated rambling spurred by my migraine med induced stupor]

Sounds like some politics involved in this OUSCI thing. Very frustrating.

Last edited:

B2B

forum member
Reaction score
18x10's for your 2015? Isn't that like driving on space saver spare tires and wheels? :)

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Update for November 19th, 2014: This is part 1 of 3 of the latest work. This bit covers this car's development work leading up to SEMA + OUSCI (Optima's Ultimate Street Car Invitational). Apparently I got a royal ass whipping at OUSCI (21st out of 100?) and it was only today, TEN DAYS after the event, that the bulk of the times were posted. I've been upset about this for the past 12 days. Today I got a call from Jimi Day at USCA acknowledging everything that went wrong during the event (mostly with Timing and Scoring, plus numerous schedule changes and delays), he took responsibility for the mistakes, and promises to do better next year. They did such a good job at the USCA qualifiers but it just all went to Hell at the big OUSCI event - mostly because they tried to squeeze 100 cars into 5 events over 2 days. Even though we had some major issues with how the event was run, I won't get into all of that until my 3rd post in this series.

This picture above - with gravel strewn completely through a corner - summarizes OUSCI 2014 perfectly

Anyway, let's move on. It looks like my last post in this thread was October 10th, after we had entered and won with the 2011 GT in a couple of autocross events - SCCA in MAM class and Goodguys in AAS class. I ran both of those events on the old 200 treadwear BFG Rival tires, to practice for Optima's big event after SEMA (OUSCI). After those two events we decided to remake the front flares in steel and I showed some of that in my last post, but the finished result came out better than expected and pictures are shown in this post below.

The new Vorshlag shop (4 miles form our old place) is twice as big, to house more cars and equipment

We finished construction at the new shop space in 5 weeks, went to ECR for a track day to support customers, moved Vorshlag over the course of another week, was interviewed for a TV show (we will likely never see that clip now), stickered up the car a bit, then loaded the Mustang up and headed to Las Vegas. I will cover this sequence of events in this update, then cover the SEMA show itself in another post (huge show, I took over 700 pics), and finally the OUSCI event in the third post. Somewhere in there I will list our 2011 GT for sale - I have to sell this car to help pay for some things Vorshlag needs in order to grow. I have a smattering of S550 Mustang news to share along the way as well, which will be sprinkled throughout.

But First - More on the 2015 Mustang

I'm going to jump ahead of my timeline a bit to talk briefly about the 2015 Mustang GT that we tested with this week as well as some weights we took about 2 weeks ago. As you may know we had a Performance Pack GT 6-spd on order since April for development use, hoping it would show up in time to prep for some racing and then take to SEMA for Amy to compete in. The timelines slipped due to some issues at the factory (a catalyst was installed incorrectly on most of the Performance Pack 5.0s) and due to the delay and for some other reasons, we cancelled the order about a month ago. A couple of weeks ago the first 5.0 GTs arrived and we weighed the yellow 2015 Performance Pack 6-spd at Five Star Ford in Plano. You can read more about my impressions from that day here (since we weighed and and then I drove it).

Vorshlag will be developing parts for the S550, of course, but we won't necessarily be buying a brand new car for us to tear into on day one of this chassis launch. We're really waiting for a Body in White or a wrecked example to purchase instead (or maybe the GT350!) - so we can cut it up and get the some much needed weight out of this car. I personally feel that this chassis is a tick on the heavy side to compete with, and while it might still make a good TT3 platform we were really set on moving to TT2 or TT1 next season and don't feel we could get there in the S550, even with liberal use of a Sawsall and plasma cutter. It doesn't make much business sense to buy a $43,000 car that we then go cut up and ruin the value of, and just owning a Plain Jane 2015 GT street car isn't in the cards right now - I wish it was.

The red 2015 GT we ordered long ago (plus an identical twin) have since arrived - while we were at SEMA, where this was a hugely popular car - and our salesman Corey White brought this red GT to our new shop this week to tease me into hopefully buying one. It damn near worked! This was the '15 I ordered - Race Red, Premium, 5.0 6-spd, Performance Package (big brakes), touch screen NAV (only $700, why not?), and the leather Recaros (perfect!).

I drove it around and its very nice (even has Launch Control). While it was in the shop that day we shot some pictures, test fit some wheels, weighed a couple of things, and learned a little bit more. Please jump over to our S550 Development Thread to read more about that brief test session, and what we have in store next. What you are reading here is our S197 Development Thread and I don't want to cross-contaminate the two different chassis too much. ;)

Verifying the fit of the the Forgestar 18x10 CF5 over the 15" brakes + mocking up a wing for fun

Our friends at Dusold Designs just got their 2015 GT 5.0 this week and we are "borrowing" their S550 to develop the camber plates, MCS shocks, and some other bits for this chassis. We have equipment coming to help with that very soon and I want to see our production S550 camber plates as well as S550 MCS shocks shipping by at least December.

New Steel Front Flares + New Wing Uprights and Endplates

As you have seen over the past 4 years, each time we increased tire width on our 2011 GT the car "magically" became more competitive and our lap times dropped. Many people told us we were using too big of a tire, but the timers didn't agree. Even though we saw big lateral grip numbers on the 315mm Hoosier A6 tires (1.3-1.4g w/o aero) and saw similar data on the 335/345MM Hoosier A6 this year, our times kept dropping. Most of our 2013 TT3 lap records went down by 2-3 seconds in 2014 by simply moving up in tire width, and we also managed to make our short TT stints a bit longer, and increased tire life. My favorite adage "Bigger Is Better" paid off once again.

Here is a pair of the new 345/35/18 Hoosier A7 tires. The rear flares are made to fit more tire than this

Our friends at Heritage Collision in Sherman, TX made the rear flares in steel earlier this year and those now easily cover the 345mm DOT Hoosiers, which are nearly 14" wide. There's even room for a little more, as there is a 355mm Hoosier road racing slick I had my eye on back then. Both the 345 DOT and 355 Hoosier slick were pretty tall, so we had no plans to use either of those "rear" tires up front. Instead we built the old front flares to clear a 335/30/18 tire, in either Hoosier race rubber or BFGoodrich Rivals for street tire events.

The 315 front and 335 rear set-up worked well enough but we had set up the flares for a much wider front tire

Late in 2013 for Goodguys and earlier this year with USCA we ran on a 315mm front and 335mm rear Rival set-up, but that was only because BFG was out of 335mm tires and we could only horse trade our way into a single pair for the rear. I noticed that nobody else ran the 335mm Rival up front and some folks even said "it doesn't work well square", but I didn't put much stock into that. Most of the internet wisdom I have heard about tire width over the years has proven to be misguided or wrong. The plastic flares took a beating at Road Atlanta and looked terrible, and I asked our fabricator Ryan H to make us a new set in steel about 2 weeks before we left for SEMA.

He didn't disappoint. It took Ryan just 3 working days (our MyShopAssist time logging shows 23 hours and 29 minutes) to fabricate these flares from scratch. He used a shrinker, a stretcher, an English wheel, TIG welder, some hammers, and drills. I was totally blown away bu the fit and finish.

The front piece that integrates the flare into the bumper cover fits tight and bolts on. The flare extensions were welded to the fenders and needed almost no body filler. Almost all of this fab work happened during new shop construction so I was only seeing it at night, briefly, and snapped some pics with my phone. Once he was done with the steel work it was time for bodywork and paint.

I loaded the car up in our enclosed trailer and took it to Heritage Collision just a week before we were supposed to head to SEMA. They worked on the car for 3 days and bodyworked the front flares, fixed some rock chip damage to the rear flares, and repainted 80% of the car. They had to shoot the front and rear bumper covers and all 4 fenders anyway, so they went ahead and sprayed the doors as well, so it would all match for SEMA and the OUSCI judging.

Note - the car was already "sold" at this point, with a price agreed upon months earlier, so this extra work wouldn't benefit us in selling it - but we felt it was necessary for the judge portion of the OUSCI event. We did very well in that portion in March at the Texas round of USCA (4th overall) and it helped us with the win. I mean, this is a real street car with full interior, climate control, touch screen NAV and big strereo... that's what they are looking for in a well rounded "Ultimate Street Car", right? (note: the buyer backed out right before SEMA due to some family matters, so the car is back For Sale.)

The Heritage paint crew did an amazing job and the whole car looked better than it ever had. We got it back to the old shop and got to work on the rear wing.

I had taken some new plate aluminum to our friend's at Friction Circle Fab to use their CNC Plasma cutter a week earlier, and we cut out another pair of uprights using a similar shape to Jamie's ST3 wing. Ryan built the trunk mounting brackets to attach them and painted those black, but left the uprights raw (we ran out of time). Those have since been removed and are off to the plater to be black anodized this week.

Left: This set of S197 uprights is for sale, without the wing. Right: This set of uprights and APR wing is for sale here for only $900

Ryan added the bull nose on the leading edges and knife edges to the trailing edges again as well. The end plates were the same size as those we made for Jamie's car but in .080" aluminum this time (up from .065"). We had Heritage paint the end plates body color. All of this was added to the original trunk, which had been sitting in storage for 2+ years.

The paint on this original trunk is actually the proper shade of red and it also doesn't have all of the holes from the two previous wing mounts + spoiler mounts from previous seasons. We've already sold the old trunk along with the ESP legal rear spoiler but the APR wing, uprights and brackets are for sale (here), as are the spare set of trunk uprights made for this AJ Hartman wing (above left), once I find them after we moved.

Another pair of machined Delrin trunk bumpers replaced the rubber bits so that the trunk will not compress under aero load, and that's all we had time to do. Ryan is going to make the same tubular aluminum trunk reinforcement tubes for our car (this week) to match what he made on the ST2 Mustang, shown above. Those came in at only 11 ounces each, so it won't add much weight but will reinforce the trunk structure.

I'm glad we went ahead and made the new wing uprights and wing end plates. The uprights are lighter & look a lot better than the old bits, and the larger end plates should allow less air to bleed off the bottom edges of the wing. The original trunk also looks 10 times better than the junkyard-sourced 2010 trunk we had used for 2 years, which had a bunch of drilled holes for older set-ups.

More on Jamie's ST3 Mustang

In my last post we had just picked up Jamie's Mustang from paint (at Heritage) and the cage and trunk looked great. Ryan spent a week and a half reassembling the car and wrapping up a lot of odds and ends, namely with wiring.

The pictures from my last post were during mock-up but these are the completed, finished results. The interior was very clean, all business, and utilized the switches he provided us plus a lot of work in our shop.

The bulkhead connections for the main battery cable up front are shown above left. We custom ordered Joe's Racing fire-proof, "Carbon X" shift boot kit - which showed up the day Jamie was scheduled to pick up the car. Our guys unwrapped the package, got it fitted it to the tunnel and installed right before he got here. Worked out great.

continued below

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
continued from above

The glass guys that removed the old windshield reinstalled it again, then Ryan spent hours fitting the "pre-made" Lexan to the rear quarter windows and back window. The quarter windows were about 3/8" too large so those were trimmed, and the rear window's black painted border fell apart when the clear masking film was removed. Those were re-masked and re-painted, then all of the flush-mount stainless hardware was added. This consisted of M4 nutserts, countersunk stainless M4 bolts, and countersunk Tinnerman stainless washers. It makes for a clean, flush finish. Light aluminum square tube reinforcement strips were added to the back glass as well.

A torn grease retention boot in the one-piece aluminum driveshaft's CV was noted weeks earlier so a repair kit was sourced from the Driveshaft Shop and Olof pulled the CV apart to replace this. The grease was dried up and gritty so the whole CV was inspected, cleaned and re-greased (luckily it had no wear). The old 285mm RS3 Hankooks were replaced with wider 295/35/18 BFGoodrich Rival tires on the 18x11" Forgestar F14 wheels. This tire fit these wide wheels so much better and should provide more stick, but of course will be replaced with proper R-compound DOT rubber when he's ready to jump into TT or ST.

The Drake quick-release mount was once again used for mounting a separate, hand-held fire bottle. A 2.5 pound "Halotron" (the Halon replacement good through 2030) unit is what was spec'd and that little guy sure is handy when you have a small fire to put out and you don't want to blow the whole fire system (filling the car with foam). Times like when you have to pull off track (loss of power) and the grass is dry.... POOF! Dry grass can light off the exhaust in a hurry and ruin your whole day. That's when this little bottle is your best friend! Also shown above is the completed engine bay, with custom firewall electrics and heater hoses going to the low-mounted heater core inside.

For the center net we went with a Simpson and anchored it to the cage's dash bar. The rear mounted fire system (EFF) main bottle is shown attached to the aluminum rear bracket that Ryan made. You can also see the MIL-spec bulkhead connectors for the rear wiring and the main battery wire insulated bulkhead connector as well. All of the wiring and connectors came out super clean, robust and minimal - Ryan has wired up everything from WC and GA race cars to Daytona Prototypes, and it shows.

Jamie's 14 x 68" wide AJ Hartman wing is shown mounted with our custom CNC plasma cut wing uprights and trunk brackets. With the bracing underneath it is as good as mounted to the frame, in case you were wondering. The electric trunk release solenoid was removed (won't work if the main battery kill is off) so the factory trunk release cable was "repurposed". Ryan made a custom pull ring for the cable from some 1/8" steel rod, welded and shaped to look like something you'd buy. The cable is routed through the gas cap trim right through the "T" in GT.

We had a customer's 2014 Z/28 in the shop the day when Jamie was coming to pick up his car, and it was interesting seeing the two side by side. The Z/28 has an amazing motor (dry sump LS7) and ceramic brakes, but it tipped our scales at 3835 pounds. Jamie's race prepped, caged, W2W safe 2013 GT was nearly 500 pounds lighter - makes you think.

We added a pair of our new S197 rear tie-down hook kits to this car, which Jamie appreciated the next time he towed the car in his trailer. This is a big time saver every time you load and unload the car. The next picture is a shot of his lightweight exhaust we built using Magnaflow mufflers.

Last but not least - the weight. With both racing seats in the car it weighs in at 3351 pounds. That's almost exactly 200 pounds lighter than it was the last time we weighed it as a street/track car (3553), and it now has about 100 pounds of roll cage, safety nets, two fire systems, and a giant rear wing - full Wheel to Wheel safety prep. Not bad. If he wants to drop another 40 pounds it would be as easy as unbolting the passenger seat, brackets and racing harness, getting very close to 3300 pounds. The same level of lightening w/o the cage and safety gear would easily slip under 3200 pounds, too, but Jamie wanted SAFE and we cannot blame him one bit.

More pics of Z/28 - Know Thy Enemy!

I think it helps the S197 crowd to see what the competition is up to, right? So let's take a look at some of the features of Chevy's new track terror pony car: the $75,000 Camaro Z/28.

The Carbon Ceramic Brakes are the most outlandish thing on the Z/28 - and the most delicate. These massive yet lightweight carbon ceramic 2-piece rotors are mated with 6 piston front and 4 piston rear calipers and really can make this 2 ton terror slow down quickly (1.5g braking, as tested). But you have to be VERY careful around these rotors - one nick to these brittle beauties can damage them to the point of being ruined (if you don't catch it they can explode under heavy braking). We have to always take SPECIAL care around these rotors on ZR1s, when removing or installing wheels or working around them with metal tools.

The cost to replace all 4 rotors can nearly eclipse FIVE FIGURES ($1200-2400 each, depending on where you get them). And they WILL wear out eventually, and do so fairly quickly if you track these cars. After talking to the guys at AP brakes at SEMA, well... I won't be lusting after CCBs any longer. They have brisk sales of AP iron brakes to replace CCB systems on track driven Porsches and the like. Their main concern was maximum heat attainable - the CCB rotors can only reach 1600°F and then they stop shedding heat, after which they start to wear exponentially. Iron brakes can reach 1900°F and still be shedding heat. AP said they have had customers go through a set of CCB rotors in one track weekend.... ouch! Just be careful what you wish for. I'm glad that Ford eschewed CCB for the GT350.

The 505 horsepower aluminum LS7 motor in the Z/28 is my personal all time favorite factory engine. 7 liters of dry-sumped, aluminum V8 glory is the BEST part of this car, by far. These are dyno'ing in at 440-450 whp bone stock, and 500 whp with just full length headers - wow! This motor is what made the C6 Z06 so fast on track, but Chevy is ditching this titanium rod equipped, lightweight, 505hp beast in the C7 Z06 in favor of a damned supercharger. Blah! They just ruined the Z06, to me. Superchargers don't belong on tracked cars.

The suspension is pretty unique on the Z/28, as it is equipped with Multimatic designed magnetic shocks. These are super pricey, custom designed, dynamically tuned dampers that have hydraulic fluid filled with magnetically charged particles (that's the expensive part - the fluid). As conditions change an electric charge can be changed in each damper to alter the viscosity of the fluid - dramatically and quickly - which in turn changes the damper characteristics. Does it work? Yes. Does this apply to racing? Sadly, no.

These shocks are not user-tunable to any real degree, so you cannot affect front-to-rear handling changes like with a set of normal adjustable dampers. But they do ride well and can handle well, as long as you don't go jacking with things like spring rates and the like. Neat technology that is very expensive and has limited usefulness on a racing car...but works very well for a street car. The other picture above is the upper strut mount on the front - which needs a camber adjustment (but this car had fairly decent negative camber with the unique Z/28 spindles). We've got a Vorshlag adjustable camber plate for the 5th gen Camaro that is finally going into production in the next 2 months.

The weight is the main disappointment on the Z/28 - its not much lighter than a regular Camaro SS, which itself is very heavy compared to the S197 or even S550 Mustang chassis with V8s. This car had the optional radio and air con, and some fuel in the tank (as shown in the pic), but I was still hoping for a scale number closer to the sub-3600 pounds that my loaded 2011 GT was when new. They pulled every trick out of the bag to get it near 3800 pounds but it is still heavy. Luckily these cars come with some really wide wheels (19x11" front, 19x11.5" rear) and super sticky 305mm tires (60 treadwear - aka: race tires), so it makes big grip and makes for quick-ish lap times for the auto jounrtalists. It costs more than a Corvette, though, and is triple the cost of the V6 Camaro. Is it worth it? To the right buyer, yes it is. Can you make a Mustang much faster for far less? Yes again. The new GT350 might be a rival to this Z/28 - if Ford uses the "factory race tire" trick, and can keep the pounds down. We shall soon see lots of Z/28 vs GT350 comparisons...

New Shop for Vorshlag

Those of you that have friended me on Facebook saw the work that went into our new commercial space in October and into November. It was an epic amount of work and I am glad the bulk of that is finally over. Our company isn't huge (me + Amy + 6 others) and our race prep shop was backed up with orders and service/fab work during the time we were doing construction, so shop manager Brad and I would spend the mornings at the old shop then afternoons and all night working at the new shop to get it ready. After five weeks of 14-18 hours days, and help from both of our wives and even some friends, we were done and got the C.O. so we could move in. Here's a few pics to show the scale of work we tackled - too much!

Lobby construction.... Left: before. Right: Walls and ceiling demo

Lobby construction.... Left: Ceiling and interior walls gone, new drywall work. Right: Drywall textured and painted

Lobby construction.... Left: Hung ceiling grid going up. Right: Brad cutting a window opening

Lobby construction complete: hardwood floors + baseboard trim added, painted, lighted, and ready for more displays and framed pictures

We did similar re-work as in the Lobby to other areas, including the "machine" room, shop area, some offices, and the Order Build Room. It was all done to add more space to the rooms we needed and remove offices and hallways we didn't want - similar to what we did at our old shop three years ago, but on a larger scale. I don't want to do this again in three years, ugh. Cursed growth! Oh wait...

There was a small room/big closet in the shop area we demo'd and removed, then patched the walls at the junctions. We then massively enlarged the opening to the machine shop room, above. That was framed in 1x6" finished wood instead of drywall, to make room for the big toys going in here in the coming weeks. Just "waiting on electrical", which has been the story of the entire shop construction.

There's still some finish work left to do, but we were fully functional with lifts, light, air and welders by November 11th. The new space is twice as big as our old unit, and we needed the room to house all of the cars we're working on. We also have room for some new equipment which should help ease our supply problems, but I'll save that for another post.

This 5 weeks or construction work was followed by a week of moving equipment, desks, parts and supplies from the old shop to the new. We finished moving our last load of stuff by 11 am on Saturday the 1st, then went to the new shop to add decals to the Mustang and load it into the trailer for our trip to Vegas. After we got back from SEMA this past Tuesday we still had a lot of work to do to get fully operational, but Brad has been attacking tasks while Olof and Ryan wrench and fabricate on various customer cars and projects. Big steps were made on the Alpha LS1 Miata and Alpha LS1 FR-S this past week - look for updates on those two projects soon.

Like we have done every year for the past 3, we will have the Texas Region SCCA Solo Annual Tech and Vorshlag Open House in February, at which time we should be fully moved in and all of the equipment up and running. Our phone number stayed the same (972-422-7170) and our new address is on our contact page, with a map. Outside parking isn't great here but that's the only real down grade we made, and the doubling of space more than makes up for it.

Five Star Ford track day at ECR - Oct 25, 2014

We have been attending the FSF track days at ECR for 3 years. We worked with organizers Corey White and Jerry Cecco and they let us take over the ECR Tech Shed this time. This was better than working in a parking lot in the hot sun. When I got to the track at 7:15 am, after setting up a table with the donuts we brought, I immediately started teching cars that didn't get a chance to have their car inspected by one of the many track service shops around Dallas/Ft. Worth.

continued below

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
continued from above

During the day our crew was busy working on people's cars and supporting our customers who were in attendance. The tech shed stayed busy all day with brake fluid flushes, brake pads swaps, and other various repairs. Some of these were pre-scheduled jobs, but for the most part they were emergency "my brakes are done!" kind of jobs. Luckily we brought plenty of Motul brake fluid, Centric rotors and Carbotech brake pads this time.

This was the largest event that Five Star has ever sponsored at ECR, with over 65 cars. As usual, this event attracts a lot of Mustang owners, but also a smattering of "everything else" and we had a few NASA TT racers our there testing as well. I counted over 25 Vorshlag customers there that day, which is pretty cool - at our first FSF ECR event there were none, but we've been making some headway and have worked on a good chunk of these guys' cars.

We brought our 2011 GT out to the track to show off the new flares, wing uprights and paint, but sadly we couldn't run it on track. Why? The paint was less than 2 days old and too soft to take any grasshopper or tire clag hits. Shiloh would have blown a gasket if I would have brought the car back for paint repairs so soon! Ryan had also just finished the wing uprights the day before - picked the car up from paint Thursday night, wing uprights fabricated and installed Friday then loaded into the trailer for the trip to ECR Saturday, all while finishing construction. I had two Halloween parties that Saturday night (both good ones!), and we started moving the shop the very next morning on Sunday, so it was a busy weekend.

20141025_164948-L.jpg

Corey White was super busy, as he had TWO events going on at ECR that weekend. He also helped set-up a "Raptor Rampage" off road event. They had about 15 Raptors show up that took to a 4+ mile off road course that Corey helped create earlier this year. He took us to this site on the same grounds as ECR (its off South of Turn 6) and a few of us got to ride in some very tricked out Raptors. I rode in one with 24" of rear stroke on the dual remote reservoir, triple bypass shocks. The course was wicked and has trees, boulders, and even a big jump. I rode in a few trucks and each one was different, and each one was fun.

Jamie Beck brought his 2013 GT out to do some initial track testing before the NASA race weekend at ECR on the following weekend. The car worked flawlessly on track but had a weird issue when starting, which we had a work around for that day but got worse when he ran with NASA. The culprit was later traced to a faulty solid state battery disconnect unit, which has since been bypassed then replaced.

One of our customer's brought his 5.0 Coyote swapped BMW to this event for its first on-track shake-down runs, so we had a plan of attack and sent him out for some short test runs, then into the pits for temp checks and inspections. We had to replace one brake line early on, but after that it went smoothly on track for a couple of sessions. Until the water temps started to spike...

It was weird, because the radiator temps were low on an IR gun, so removed the thermostat, lots of things checked, and eventually realized that the coolant wasn't moving through the radiator fast enough. Looks like an old junkyard motor's water pump went bad during this event, which was a bit maddening to diagnose... but after other causes were ruled out it was the only one left. It was a part we hadn't installed or touched, but after the pump is replaced it should be ready for more on track action.

Did I mention we did a lot of brake jobs?? ECR is a brake eater and even though we caution everyone to get good fluid and pads before they come here, most folks don't expect it. We worked late into the day, then loaded and and were the last trailer to leave the track that day. Thanks to Tim, Olof, Brad and Amy of Vorshlag for spending their entire Saturday out here helping customers and track folks get through the day (and the next day Sunday moving to the new shop!). Next time we go to ECR will be the annual Toy Run in December, and we are all going to be DRIVING that day instead of wrenching. ;)

It physically pained me to be at a track I love after parts of it were just repaved with our car we race and NOT to drive it. I had hoped to hop in another car or two that day and at least get some laps, but with a steady stream of cars needing track side repairs I was too busy to break away all day. Lots of folks came by to admire the new front flares. I wish I could have put it out there - but even a simple off track excursion could have damaged the flares, paint or splitter only days before leaving for SEMA. The next weekend at ECR was the last NASA Texas event of the year, and I had to miss that one as well - that's when we were driving to Vegas. Missing this NASA ECR event hurt more than I like to admit, but at least we had nailed down the TT3 regional championship back in June... so missing TWS and ECR didn't hurt that. Now that we are back from the OUSCI event, I wish we hadn't skipped those two NASA Texas events or NASA Nats East, but hindsight is always 20/20. :(

Better Personal Safety Gear

I've gotten a some flak from other racers over the past 3 years for my safety gear use. We were running fairly quick times in TTS/TT3 trim for a while without any rollover protection, but after a discussion with our engineer we added the Maximum Motorsports 4-point roll bar. I've always been quick to upgrade to fixed back racing seats and 5+ point racing harnesses (for better control), but roll cages don't belong in street cars, and I resisted that in this car, since we do street drive it a good bit. I have also resisted the optional use of Head and Neck restraint systems, racing suits, and some other gear - but I have been re-thinking that lately.

I tried to use my old 3-layer Simpson racing suit at a few TT competitions this year, but its so heavy and bulky that it quickly made me overheat. This time I spent real money and bought an Alpinestar GP Pro Racing Suit. This SFI 3.2A Level 5 Nomex suit was lighter, made from a newer style fabric that breathes, and it fit me better. I went and tried on 5 different sizes until I realized a European size "58" fits me pretty well. It was painfully expensive, but what's it worth not to be bar-b-qued in a burning car, or worse - sweating so badly that I get heat exhaustion (much more likely)? In August I bought Amy and I both new pairs of Alpinestars Tech 1-ZX gloves as well, which have the seams run inside-out for better feel on the inside. I used my old gloves at all events (for better feel, both autocross and track) and wore holes in the fingertips, so it was time to upgrade.

Necksgen-sizing-chart-L.jpg

The various HANS devices I've tried always greatly limited my ability to turn my head. I have now tested 3 different designs: the HANS brand, the Simpson Hybrid, and then the NecksGen. Each of these required different helmet anchors, so I've got 3 sets of those for my helmet. I used the NecksGen at the SCCA Road Course autocross in September and it actually allowed me to turn my head enough - and as an autocrosser at heart, I am looking out the side windows a lot, aiming for the next corner. The other units restricted my head turning too much, but the NecksGen was tolerable. I borrowed this unit from my friend Ed for use at OUSCI, and I was determined to use it in every on-track session. After the wreck at Road Atlanta in May and the damage to my vertebrae, which may have been exacerbated by NOT having a HANS device, I wasn't going to track again without it.

Next year, whatever I run seriously will likely have a full roll cage - if its as fast or faster than this TT3 Mustang. I'm getting too old to bounce back quickly from a crash like the one I had in May, and if what we build over the winter is what I hope it to be, it will need a serious cage indeed. I've been pushing my luck on track for far too long - and probably setting a bad example. I cannot count how many W2W guys come by and look at our Mustang after they see the lap times we run and are then HORRIFIED that we don't have a cage in this car. I remind them that Time Trial shouldn't have any car-to-car contact, but the car-to-wall kind scares me enough to want to do the cage, nets, HANS and the rest.

Stickers + 335 Tires + Loading for Trip

The Mustang was almost ready for the OUSCI event after it got back from Heritage for paint, bit there were still a few things left to tidy up. Most of that got done at the old shop but we moved the day after ECR, so some happened at the new place - like the new tire mounting and decals. Olof mounted a brand new set of 335/30/18 BFG Rivals to all four 18x12 wheels. I wanted to race on "sticker" tires so we didn't do any testing on this new set-up with the wider 335 fronts - that was probably a mistake, but I just couldn't afford a second new set of 335 Rivals to test with.

On Thursday October 30th, Kevin Mooney with Mooney Productions stopped by on a tour of 3 shops in and around Dallas that had cars entered in the big OUSCI shootout. He is a camera man and on-air interviewer for their MavTV series and was also going to be shooting video all week at SEMA and of the cars in Optima alley. We had met at previous event and I liked Kevin's attitude about the event and the cars that are featured.

We had cleaned up the entire shop prior to him stopping by, as we were still in the middle of the shop move. He was cool and only shot part of the shop, which we had cleaned up the night before and added this massive decal to one wall of (see above). We had a couple of clean customer cars we had built on hand and one or two of those were in his shots, as well as our 2011 Mustang.

Again, as poorly as we apparently ended up at OUSCI, this footage is unlikely to be shown. Its a shame, as we had a fun interview that everyone here felt went really well. Them's the breaks - gotta place well or be a sponsor to get coverage on the show.

After Kevin left we cleaned up the car, detailed the interior and underhood, and then I fought with Amy about the decal package we would use for SEMA and OUSCI. She wanted to go with the loud WHITE stripes again, and even wanted to get a set of wheels done in white like last year. I reminded her that the white wheels only stayed white for about 2 track sessions, then looked gray forever. Also, the OUSCI series and TV show was supposed to emphasize STREET CARS, and as I was told by one USCA organizer, the stripes made the car "look too much like a race car", so Jason and I convinced her to go with a toned down livery instead, which Jason cut on our vinyl plotter that Thursday.

On Saturday, the last day of moving, we finally added the smaller "Vorshlag" stickers in black to the rear shoulders and small sponsor decals to our manufacturers of the parts we run along the sides, leaving ample room for the OPTIMA door decals and event sponsor stickers on the sides as well as to of the windshield. We didn't get in our request to USCA in time to get the event decals so we had to wait until Monday in Vegas during "load-in" to get them, but we assumed we could show up early and grab them in time for the big Ford 50th Anniversary picture shoot Monday afternoon at 3 pm (but that assumption was wrong). Brad, Jen and Amy hand cut the stripes for the hood and laid them down minutes before the car went into the trailer (they were still wet so we left the transfer paper in place).

I took a quick romp down the parking lot and made some Figure 8 turns to see if the 335s rubbed up front. Nope, all clear. Then we loaded up for the 22+ hour one-way tow to Las Vegas. We brought two mounted spares and one dismounted spare tire for the trailer, as we had too many blow-outs last year going to Utah for NASA Nationals and didn't want to take any chances.

After loading up at the shop we went to our house and loaded our clothes, food and other stuff for the TEN DAY trip. We had hoped to leave by noon but it was closer to 6 pm before we rolled out. Luckily we had an extra day padded into our time budget to get there, so we only lost 6 hours of the extra 24 we had budgeted. Off to Vegas we went, with high hopes! Jason was driving up the long way and planned on being at the show on Tuesday. Olof and Jon were leaving Tuesday in to arrive early on Wednesday, Brad was flying in Friday and even Costas was going to join us Friday through Sunday. We had a big, experienced and capable crew on hand to help me at the event, and also to talk to the various vendors we knew at the SEMA show.

20141103_160640-L.jpg

Just wanted to point out that while our shop was shut down for a couple of weeks during the move and SEMA (we turned away a lot of work and cleared the schedule), we're fully operational and have openings on the schedule now. Need some fabrication or race prep work? Suspension install? Have a heavy wallet that is weighting you down?? We can help. :)

Tune in next time for part 2 of 3 - the SEMA show!

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Sweet Jesus that mustang is sweet.

I may be stopping by sometime in late December to meet you, take a look at the shop, and pick your brain on a few items. Hopefully we can get something on paper then!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
More pics of Z/28 - Know Thy Enemy!

The suspension is pretty unique on the Z/28, as it is equipped with Multimatic designed magnetic shocks. These are super pricey, custom designed, dynamically tuned dampers that have hydraulic fluid filled with magnetically charged particles (that's the expensive part - the fluid). As conditions change an electric charge can be changed in each damper to alter the viscosity of the fluid - dramatically and quickly - which in turn changes the damper characteristics. Does it work? Yes. Does this apply to racing? Sadly, no.

These shocks are not user-tunable to any real degree, so you cannot affect front-to-rear handling changes like with a set of normal adjustable dampers. But they do ride well and can handle well, as long as you don't go jacking with things like spring rates and the like. Neat technology that is very expensive and has limited usefulness on a racing car...but works very well for a street car. The other picture above is the upper strut mount on the front - which needs a camber adjustment (but this car had fairly decent negative camber with the unique Z/28 spindles). We've got a Vorshlag adjustable camber plate for the 5th gen Camaro that is finally going into production in the next 2 months.
I'm under the impression that the Z/28's Multimatic shocks use DSSV technology rather than magnetorheological fluid like what the supercharged ZL1 does use. Supposedly there's only one other car using DSSV, these dampers are also a bit expensive, and apparently not end-user-adjustable either.

There was a Z/28 at a NJMP track day last Sunday, entered for one session of paced laps, and I got to ride along. It never occurred to me to look at the shocks for any sort of electrical connections, and the guy had left before my second session ended.

Norm

DILYSI Dave

forum member
Reaction score
In the same way that megasquirt has allowed end users an affordable and accessible way to tune engines, I imagine there will be something similar in coming years for computerized dampers.

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
I'm under the impression that the Z/28's Multimatic shocks use DSSV technology rather than magnetorheological fluid like what the supercharged ZL1 does use. Supposedly there's only one other car using DSSV, these dampers are also a bit expensive, and apparently not end-user-adjustable either.

There was a Z/28 at a NJMP track day last Sunday, entered for one session of paced laps, and I got to ride along. It never occurred to me to look at the shocks for any sort of electrical connections, and the guy had left before my second session ended.

Norm

You are correct Norm. They are not MR, they are Multimatic Spool Valve shocks. They are not adjustable, and GM won't sell them to just anyone you need to prove you own a Z/28 to get them. ZL1's have MR shocks, and the last one I drove on track was an underdamped mess even in level 5 race mode.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Wish there was an option to not but the ferrofluid shocks on the GT350...we'd all pull them off anyway, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say they're not cheap.

moostang09

Resident YouTube Guy
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wow what a read, you guys have a lot going on over there! Congrats on the new shop, it looks fantastic. The new fenders and pain are looking good as well as the spoiler supports. Thanks for keeping us updated and I look forward to the next informative read.

claudermilk

Reaction score
You are correct Norm. They are not MR, they are Multimatic Spool Valve shocks. They are not adjustable, and GM won't sell them to just anyone you need to prove you own a Z/28 to get them. ZL1's have MR shocks, and the last one I drove on track was an underdamped mess even in level 5 race mode.
An interesting observation on this. I happened to fall in behind a brand new Z28 on my commute (no plates yet). I noted he was bouncing over the bumps on the freeway like a ricer. That suspension is obviously super-stiff & very much focused on track duty above all other concerns. Didn't look like a nice ride on the street.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I'd call it 'firm' without being at all harsh, though it might well be a bit 'jiggly' over pavement that's smooth but uneven rather than broken up/patched/etc. Now I know I could live with it on a daily basis where before it was more of a strong suspicion that I could

I wish the guy I rode with had had some track experience under his belt, enough to at least roll over a few inside curbs and track out over a few more, then I'd have more to go on.

Norm

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score

Norm
Yep, I got that bit very very wrong. Consider this my "retraction" (have had to put that on 2 other forums already). Sorry about that - don't ever trust the interwebs! :p

Swine

forum member
Reaction score
Terry:

Id rather read your update posts then watch damn near anything on TV for entertainment.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back