Want a slick trunk-lid: filling holes w/rivets...feedback, please?

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok Guys, I know I could have ordered the car, and been patient and waited 8 weeks for delivery, but I wanted it when I wanted it and got 98% of what I was looking for.

I wish I didn't have a rear spoiler, and a fake hood scoop. I'm thinking of unbolting the spolier, and filling the holes with 5/16 steel rivets (I have the Crafstman rivet tool). I'd actually have to rivet a loose nut on the underside of each hole so that the rivet grips. I'd also have some silicone sealmaker around each rivet to ensure water-tightness, and then I'd paint the rivets with touch-up paint so that they blend in with the trunk lid.

If it turns out well, I'd also consider unbolting the fake hood scoop and doing the same thing, except that I'd use aluminum rivets to avoid any electrolysis issues.

Your comments :2cents:, suggestions, counter-indications and alternatives are welcome!

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Personally I don't think you will be happy with rivits. They won't be flush, the paint probably won't match and will make them stick out more, and just about the time you get used to seeing them, the paint will start to chip and just piss you off all over again.

But that's just my opinion.

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Personally I don't think you will be happy with rivits. They won't be flush, the paint probably won't match and will make them stick out more, and just about the time you get used to seeing them, the paint will start to chip and just piss you off all over again.

But that's just my opinion.

What he said!!
Do it right the first time and be happy knowing that you did. take it to a body shop :)

GRAYPNY

Rich
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You have a white car and maybe you can trade for a trunk that is spoiler delete? I have seen many rental cars without spoilers that were white over the last couple of years.

Tortuga

[[princess]]
Reaction score
I took off my spoiler. I filled the holes in with the body filler stuff (i forgot the name of it?!?!) put painters tape on the top and put my finger gently down. filled it in from bottom up. came out perfectly even. (didn't have to sand the filler down or anything) from there u can choose to take it to a body shop and get it painted or do it urself (doesn't look too bad, but has a noticable difference). when u take off the spoiler, u have to take the thick ass tape off and scrape off what's left of it. that sucked, but wasn't hard. the one problem i ran into with this is that the paint was slighly warped around the holes and i had to sand the paint around the holes to even the paint.

or just find a white v6 and ask for his trunk. so many of them are wanting and getting the rear spoilers after the fact that you could probably make a deal with the owner.

Last edited:

Kevin@PMP

Reaction score
Another option is use some on the online search engines for junk yards and call some around you and see if they have a spoiler delete trunk lid in white. I have seen perfect trunk lids listed for about $250.

Booger

No longer under warranty
Reaction score
or just find a white v6 and ask for his trunk. so many of them are wanting and getting the rear spoilers after the fact that you could probably make a deal with the owner.

Problem is almost all of the cars out there have a spoiler. Not to many around that I've seen don't have one. The ones that don't have the spoiler didn't want one in the first place. I wish mine didn't have one either so I could do something else and not have the holes to fill.

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the imput people. You're a balsy chick, Tortuga, doing that yourself! I think I'll take the other suggestion of going to a car rental place and see if I can make a deal with them. To complicate matters, I have the Sirius antenna back there as well. I can get a new lid for $271 with the antena hole already made, but then I figure it'll be another $200 for paint/install....but maybe that's the route I need to take.,

Tortuga

[[princess]]
Reaction score
Thanks for the imput people. You're a balsy chick, Tortuga, doing that yourself! I think I'll take the other suggestion of going to a car rental place and see if I can make a deal with them. To complicate matters, I have the Sirius antenna back there as well. I can get a new lid for $271 with the antena hole already made, but then I figure it'll be another $200 for paint/install....but maybe that's the route I need to take.,

Lol. i would rather do the work myself then take it to any of the shops around here. Besides I'm good at workin on cars. :clap:

hoboattacker

Reaction score
I ripped my spoiler off and put ducktape underneath the holes and then colored the ducktape black with a permanent marker. Can't really tell a difference from a distance, it looks better, and I don't have ANY water get into my trunk even when I go through car washes.

To get the holes filled at a small body shop here in town would have cost something like 275 for everything including paint and all. I think I'll stick with my ducktape fix for now :)

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
I've seen some people moving the sat. ant. into the interior up on the back deck. Might be something to look at doing if you don't want to put it back on the trunk.

2007 GT/CS

"Oderint Dum Metuant"
Reaction score
Should be able to get those holes filled properly and lid re-shot for much less than $275. Shop around.

I had my front antenna taken off and washer nozzles removed as part of some other work for $100.

I'm thinking of going to the CDC ducktail on mine and relocating the satellite antenna as well.

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Should be able to get those holes filled properly and lid re-shot for much less than $275. Shop around.

I had my front antenna taken off and washer nozzles removed as part of some other work for $100.

I'm thinking of going to the CDC ducktail on mine and relocating the satellite antenna as well.

I've seen some people moving the sat. ant. into the interior up on the back deck. Might be something to look at doing if you don't want to put it back on the trunk.

The Sat antenna relo is a great idea...especially if I'm gonna have someone properly fill the holes and paint...thanks!

1Fast05Turbo

Flying Low
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I can get a new lid for $271 with the antena hole already made, but then I figure it'll be another $200 for paint/install....but maybe that's the route I need to take.,

Or you can do what I did. I went out of town, my wife decided to drive my car and got in a wreck. During repairs, I asked for a spoiler delete trunk lid and voila!!!! no spoiler!!...LOL

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Or you can do what I did. I went out of town, my wife decided to drive my car and got in a wreck. During repairs, I asked for a spoiler delete trunk lid and voila!!!! no spoiler!!...LOL
Awesome solution...probably came with alittle of that avatar too :bonebh: !

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back