water/meth injection and a few other things.

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
So iv been thinking of running a meth kit on my car, iv been reading up and have heard I don't need it since I'm running E85 but I haven't really found the right answer, my setup is an 05 get stroked out to a 302 10.0:1 ported heads, 127550 cams, jpc racing intake and a cog driven F1A at 19 psi. On this setup last winter without the intake made 830 rwhp, at 22 psi,17 degrees @6700 rpm 60 degree weather. We installed the jpc intake and took it up to 7000 rpm and 21 degrees boost at 19 psi in 100 degree weather made 831 rwhp. And another thing the F1A is about maxed out so I'm also thinking of going with the F1C. So would I benefit much from throwing a meth kit at it? Even with E85? I'm just looking to squeeze out as much as I can out of this setup. Or possibly go with an air to water intercooler

05yellowgt

Reaction score
Meth is a waste of time with E85 already in place IMO. The ethanol is doing everything that the meth does, without having to have a seperate system. The main things that the water/meth does is raise octane (ethanol is about 116 octane) and lower intake temps (Ethanol is doing this fantastically, but it is harder to measure vs meth because it is being injected directly into the runner, instead of somewhere upstream where at AIT sensor can read it.)

Plus, you already have an rich mixture with the E85 (probably running around 8:1 or so) and adding meth injection might make it a bit tough to keep from blowing out the spark.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
What kind of IAT's are you seeing? That's the deciding factor....I'm not pushing nearly the boost you are but I'm set up that mine won't pull any timing until I hit 170 IAT temps per Lito's suggestion on E85.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
I'd just up the timing if I were you. I ran 24 degrees on my combo (stock heads, intake, cams, 9.3 compression stroker). With all the restriction I saw 27psi on a 4.3" pulley. There were zero signs of detonation. Just up the timing till the power starts to drop off and back off a degree or so.

What kind of IAT's are you seeing? That's the deciding factor....I'm not pushing nearly the boost you are but I'm set up that mine won't pull any timing until I hit 170 IAT temps per Lito's suggestion on E85.
IAT is very hard to judge with E85. It pulls a TON of heat out of the air charge and combustion chamber, but it's almost impossible to measure unless you can get a sensor down in an intake runner somehow. I didn't pull timing till 200 on my setup.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what my iats were il ask though, I no the weather had a lot to do with the power it put down only gaining 1 Hp from the new intake and more timing but the reason I asked was because the blower is being spun pretty hard and it made sense to help it out with meth. When I was talking to my tuner it sounded like power was starting to fall past 7000 rpm so throwing more timing at it isn't gonna do anything right? I'm trying to figure out what I can do to take it up a little higher I'd like to take it up to 7400 rpm but I gotta figure this out first.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
The power curve is going to be more a product of your cams (valve springs being able to support the rpm plus boost) and the ability of the blower to be able to keep up (you are probably far out of the peak efficiency range as hard as your a driving it)

What pullies are you running and have you calculated the blower rpm?

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
The power curve is going to be more a product of your cams (valve springs being able to support the rpm plus boost) and the ability of the blower to be able to keep up (you are probably far out of the peak efficiency range as hard as your a driving it)

What pullies are you running and have you calculated the blower rpm?

I haven't really driven it much since I built the motor almost 2 years ago it's been to the track twice and maybe 1500 miles, I did notice a little ticking around 7000 rpm poll need different spring.
I'm running a cog setup with a 40 upper and 77 lower, the blower is turning 72,700 RPM's at 7000 rpm and max is 74,000 on the F1A which would be at 7200 engine rpm.
what should it be?

Water meth instead of water method

Last edited:

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I did a few pulls on a friend's dyno back in June and every time I added timing I gained power. The blue was 20* fixed timing in WOT, the red was 20-23* timing and the green was 20-25* timing. On the 25* timing it actually seemed to carry the power longer without dropping off but I didn't want to spin the engine any higher. These numbers were at only 10-12psi of boost on my engine.

dis-regard the funkyness early on in the blue chart..I don't think my converter liked being locked up and going WOT that low in the rpms.

3-pulls_zps4ee70b0e.jpg

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
I'm at 21* right now I compared the to dynos from last month and last year on 17 * I didn't gain much up top but lower and mid range picked up quite a bit, it talk to my tuner see what he thinks, I'm sure I need new valve springs before anything else

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back