Watts Link vrs Panhard Bar "aka..Old Reliable"

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
One point worth noting - If you're going to autocross your car, your choice of watts link determines the class you complete in. If the watts link you choose involves changing the diff cover (whiteline and others) you will be immediately thrust into the most race-car like class, regardless of what else you have or haven't done to your car. If you get a Fays2-style watts link, you can still compete in the lower tier classes.

That changes next year if the BoD rubber stamps what the SEB sends them and it changes from ST on up.

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
And they might... but it would be worth waiting to find out IMHO. That said, I do find it amusing to put a Watts link on for better lateral location, but then use one that locates the axle via 4 bushings.

Steeda and Whiteline both do that. Fays2 uses real rod-ends which don't have lateral deflection at all. Having said that, a Watts link is still superior in function to a PHB, even if the PHB has rod-ends and the watts has bushings. But when I look at the costs, the parts involved, the mounting, and the fact I'm doing this to make the car as good as I can, every corner leads me back to a Fays2, which is why of the 3 I carry, it's the one I recommend the most, and the one I use myself.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
keep-beating-this-dead-horse.png

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Dunno, maybe my eyes are fooling me but I don't see any point where the top of the rear tire extends beyond the fender well on the Watts car. The Panhard bar car looks to wander far enough to allow you to almost see the tread pattern of the top of the tire.

It almost scary how much the rear end is flopping around on the vid of the stock car. Maybe it was the lighting of that video that helps because there was a very clear view at all times of what was going on with it and no shadows involved.

Agreed. But the axle isn't moving side to side...it's the back end of the car body that is FLOPPING side to side. The oem GT PHB is fubar..and ditto with the mating PHB brace. The BMR adjustable PHB and mating BMR brace..and the stiffer bushings was a bit of an improvement. At least it then allowed to center the wheels better. My driver's side wheel was sticking out 5/8" on the driver's side.

My BMR PHB + BMR brace were replaced with the WL watts link.... (+ eaton tru-trac..both on the same day). Any idiot could tell the difference within 5 minutes of leaving my local Ford dealer. But what I was seeing was the combined effects of the watts link + tru-trac.

Once BMR comes out with it's new $500.00 watts link...... there should be no excuse for anyone to be using a PHB anymore.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back