Went to track now have a vibration

Jeffs FRC

forum member
Reaction score
So I went out last night to the track and on the third run when I hit 2nd car bit down and something didn't feel quite right...

The car now has a slight vibration at pretty much all speeds and there is a whining noise coming from the rear. Vibration is the worst around 45-55mph and the whine is loudest at around 70mph.

I jacked the car up this morning and ran it up to 20mph in first just to see if I could find a bent driveshaft or something. The shaft looked to be running true, but both rear wheels have a slight wobble. From just looking it appears to be about 1/8" back and forth on both sides.

Did I bend some axles and fuck the rear up?

Jeffs FRC

forum member
Reaction score
Just got back under the car to take another look at the driveshaft and it too has a wobble...

Jeffs FRC

forum member
Reaction score
Update!

Put the stock shaft back in and the car is fine.

I'll be giving Shafmasters a call on Monday to see what they'll do about this...

jgilbert04

forum member
Reaction score
I have heard of others having problems with the Shaftmasters driveshafts also. I hear customer service is pretty good. Good Luck!

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
He just said it was the driveshaft....

Sorry to hear about the driveshaft issues Jeff. Goodluck getting those worked out. How did the car do?

Jeffs FRC

forum member
Reaction score
I have heard of others having problems with the Shaftmasters driveshafts also. I hear customer service is pretty good. Good Luck!
I have heard nothing but good things about the 3.5". Like I said the car ran awesome before that 1-2 shift.

Sorry to hear about the driveshaft issues Jeff. Goodluck getting those worked out. How did the car do?
Track was very inconsistent and only got 3 runs in. Had to pedal it through 1st and 2nd... There is alot left in it for sure

60'-1.92
1/4-12.00
mph-120.7

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
I have heard nothing but good things about the 3.5". Like I said the car ran awesome before that 1-2 shift.

Track was very inconsistent and only got 3 runs in. Had to pedal it through 1st and 2nd... There is alot left in it for sure

60'-1.92
1/4-12.00
mph-120.7

Oh yeah....there is alot left in it...a few guys around here run low 11s with that setup. Not bad for the first time out, especially with Matt out there running low-mid 13s lol.

Jeffs FRC

forum member
Reaction score
Oh yeah....there is alot left in it...a few guys around here run low 11s with that setup. Not bad for the first time out, especially with Matt out there running low-mid 13s lol.
Matt was sissy footin it! He offered to let me take it for a pass, but I declined as I didn't feel comfortable beating on his car.

Maybe next time we'll swap cars...

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
Matt was sissy footin it! He offered to let me take it for a pass, but I declined as I didn't feel comfortable beating on his car.

Maybe next time we'll swap cars...

Not a bad idea.....He better get those times down soon. Or he is gonna be looking at my tailights too lol

Jeffs FRC

forum member
Reaction score
On a side note I shipped the shaft back to Shaftmasters today. Ill update when they get back to me.

Hopefully it can be fixed! $600 paper weights suck...LOL

EagleStroker

N/A Junkie
Reaction score
The thing is, the stock d/s may only be masking the true issue. The stock piece is designed to minimize vibration which is why most of us replace it. Something to think about!

Jeffs FRC

forum member
Reaction score
The thing is, the stock d/s may only be masking the true issue. The stock piece is designed to minimize vibration which is why most of us replace it. Something to think about!
I thought about that too, but when I was directly under the car with it running around 20mph there was no question that the DS is slightly bent.

Also, the whining has disappeared...

Jeffs FRC

forum member
Reaction score
They don't warranty the driveshaft at all? You just bought that thing.
If its something that isn't a workmanship issue I doubt it.

There was a couple rub marks on the shaft, but nothing bad like some Ive seen pics of... Only one of the rub marks I could actually feel by running my fingernail across.

EagleStroker

N/A Junkie
Reaction score
I thought about that too, but when I was directly under the car with it running around 20mph there was no question that the DS is slightly bent.

Also, the whining has disappeared...

If the suspension isn't loaded/moving down the road I think it would be hard to rule out everything. Whining will disappear just from the dampening from my experience. I had a similar issue about a year ago and it was caused from my OE UCA bushing basically coming apart.

Good luck working it all out! :beer:

Jeffs FRC

forum member
Reaction score
If the suspension isn't loaded/moving down the road I think it would be hard to rule out everything. Whining will disappear just from the dampening from my experience. I had a similar issue about a year ago and it was caused from my OE UCA bushing basically coming apart.

Good luck working it all out! :beer:
Thanks for the tip! I will definately check out the UCA. I checked the LCA's and panhard already and they are fine. Not sure why I didn't look at the UCA.

Back