What else will I need for my cam swap?

Kevinmach1

Major Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am swapping in the cams this saturday, and I want to make sure I have everything I need

Here is the check list of what I already have..

Cams...(Comp 127300's)
Comp beehive springs
New ford cam bolts
Email Tune from Eric at Brookspeed
Beer, pizza, jerky...ect..LOL

I assume I can reuse my valve cover gaskets

Do I need cam assembly lube? That's the only thing else I can think of.

My buddy is a ford tech, and he is bringing the tools with him and will be helping with the install since he does them often at work.

I hope this isn't going to bite me in the butt and be one of those projects I wish I hadn't done...

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You can use the stock VC gaskets, clean them and inspect; you will need 2 dabs of Permatex on the heads/VC's; I used the engine lube that is red purchased from Advance and spread it all over the cams; if your friend has the timing wedge tool and an inch tq wrench those are good to have.

It took me about an hour to get everything off to get to the VC's and that is straight forward. I did not disconnect the fuel line, just removed the rails from the the intake and laid them out of the way.

Inspect your COPS while they are off, I discovered the magnet in one of mine was cracked in half!

07 s197

forum member
Reaction score
As long as he has tools to put compressed air in the cylinders and the right tool for the springs you should be good. Just keep an eye on the keepers lol, a magnet will help.

usafimj

Reaction score
You don't need any engine lube. Just use fresh oil. Only thing you'll have to do is disconnect the COP and remove the spark plugs to pressurize the engine during the spring swap. No need to remove the fuel rails. I'm sure your friend will know what to do since he'll have the Ford service manual

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What part number are those comp springs? if they are the highload springs which is a bit much for those cams(same cams i have), you are going to need some new spring retainers. I used comp steel retainers with the regular comp springs.

Kevinmach1

Major Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What part number are those comp springs? if they are the highload springs which is a bit much for those cams(same cams i have), you are going to need some new spring retainers. I used comp steel retainers with the regular comp springs.

Its the cheaper/lighter ones...Don't have the part # on hand at the moment...

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
These are the stronger cam spring retainers i used (comp steel)
http://www.brenspeed.com/700-24.html

Not 100% necessary with these cams and the 26113-24 springs. But my shop reccomended them they are designed to work with the stiffer cam springs. I am revving to 6800-6900rpm n/a and will be adding boost soon.

Last edited:

Kevinmach1

Major Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think after this my mods will be done for a while. I am really liking the idea of a crate new 5.0 for the future mod...LOL

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds good, wonder how much they are gonna cost it hink your gonna need the tranny as well, that doesnt have anything to do with the fact that your probably gonna need stronger spring retainers, how many miles on the car?

Kevinmach1

Major Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds good, wonder how much they are gonna cost it hink your gonna need the tranny as well, that doesnt have anything to do with the fact that your probably gonna need stronger spring retainers, how many miles on the car?

Just turned 30k before I parked it for the winter...

esworld05

GHR
Reaction score
You don't need any engine lube. Just use fresh oil. Only thing you'll have to do is disconnect the COP and remove the spark plugs to pressurize the engine during the spring swap. No need to remove the fuel rails. I'm sure your friend will know what to do since he'll have the Ford service manual

If I'm not switching the springs do I still need to remove the spark plugs?

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If I'm not switching the springs do I still need to remove the spark plugs?

No, only reason to remove the plugs is to pressurize the cylinder so the valves don't drop while the springs and retainers are removed.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back