What have you done to your mustang today?

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score
Ken - You have my vote for a truck

Get a 3/4 ton so when the Mustang is full on racecar you'll be able to tow it to events.

And with a truck, you and Diana can do home projects too!
That is the plan. Still trying to decide if I want new or used. Used Trucks down here are so expensive. Especially 3/4 tons.
I'm getting my stupid-wide tires mounted tomorrow morning. I'm not even trying to fit them in the Mustang. I'm driving my Fusion over first, dropping the tires off, then taking the Mustang over.
Yeah, it isn't optimal, but until I get a truck, I gotta do it.

I am going to build a tire trailer soon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KK14GTCS

Reaction score
I installed my Magnaflow RTR's finally. took forever to get them. After installing long tubes and an off-road X pipe I had a set of Borla S-type (way too loud and raspy, but sounded awesome with the stock shorty's and cats), bought a set of Borla touring mufflers and still was way too raspy. Wish I would have saved the money and went with the RTR's right away, it sounds awesome with those on! now I have to find a way to get rid of the Borlas....

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I'm getting my stupid-wide tires mounted tomorrow morning. I'm not even trying to fit them in the Mustang. I'm driving my Fusion over first, dropping the tires off, then taking the Mustang over.

Well we know the Fusion can transport 4 wheels, you can probably fit at least 2 of the tires in there too ;)

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well my Mustang got a new compatriot Saturday, as I traded in my Ranger and picked up a 2016 F150 XLT Sport 5.0. I'll have to trade driving time between the two this summer because damn the F150 is nice.

Also, last week I drove the Stang up to the Pittsburgh airport and back (had to fly down to Texas for work stuff). So these Edelbrock chambered mufflers are really not any worse than any other mufflers on the highway, but the 1500-2000 RPM resonance gives me a headache in parking lots and low speed driving. So, gonna have to put the Mustang back in the garage for a short time to work on getting the Borla Touring mufflers back on the car, at least I have the F150 to drive in the meantime.

JG-1

forum member
Reaction score
I installed my Magnaflow RTR's finally. took forever to get them. After installing long tubes and an off-road X pipe I had a set of Borla S-type (way too loud and raspy, but sounded awesome with the stock shorty's and cats), bought a set of Borla touring mufflers and still was way too raspy. Wish I would have saved the money and went with the RTR's right away, it sounds awesome with those on! now I have to find a way to get rid of the Borlas....
So no more rasp with the magnaflow rtr?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I have never before heard anybody mention 'Borla Touring' and 'raspy' in the same paragraph. I've had Borla Touring on both my 3V Bullitt and my 4V 5.0 and nobody has ever even hinted that either one of them sounded raspy. Perhaps you're using the wrong word?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Dem tires tho.

vtacx3Y.jpg

295s on all 4 corners. This is for real real this ain't for play play! :crazy:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I have Michelin Super Sport 285's on all four corners and the grip is just amazing. The car handles like a go cart!

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
@ghunt81 check out the MBRP axle back. I run them on my 3 valve and very nice. I have cams, longtubes, off road H, into the MBRP's. I got the full stainless ones. Love them. I went from the Borla stingers which were just way too loud and too much drone. Wanted no drone and less volume and these hit the spot perfect.

KK14GTCS

Reaction score
I have never before heard anybody mention 'Borla Touring' and 'raspy' in the same paragraph. I've had Borla Touring on both my 3V Bullitt and my 4V 5.0 and nobody has ever even hinted that either one of them sounded raspy. Perhaps you're using the wrong word?

Maybe I am using the wrong word, but I didn't like the way it sounded. The S-Type sounded great until I put on the long tubes and the OR X-pipe.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
@ghunt81 check out the MBRP axle back. I run them on my 3 valve and very nice. I have cams, longtubes, off road H, into the MBRP's. I got the full stainless ones. Love them. I went from the Borla stingers which were just way too loud and too much drone. Wanted no drone and less volume and these hit the spot perfect.

I actually bought the MBRP's over the winter (found a good deal on a set online). I had them on the car briefly in the garage but did not drive with them. They sound amazing but I think they are probably just too loud for a daily. I suppose I could try actually driving with them but based on idling/revving, they were too much.

TBH I even have high flow cats and I'm not sure how the MBRP's are quieter than Borla Stingers for you :hmm:

Phil1098

Reaction score
I actually bought the MBRP's over the winter (found a good deal on a set online). I had them on the car briefly in the garage but did not drive with them. They sound amazing but I think they are probably just too loud for a daily. I suppose I could try actually driving with them but based on idling/revving, they were too much.

:LMAO: It's why there are so many different exhausts available. I sold my MBRPs because they were too quiet. I've got LTs, ORH, and FR500s and everyone asks how I don't get arrested. I had convinced myself that, yeah, my car was too loud and so I bought the MBRPs. Put them on, drove them for two miles, turned around and came home and realized I didn't smile once while driving. It was a nice deep mellow sound, but after I put the FR500s back on I knew I was done. I would probably have a different setup if it was my DD.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score

From my understanding, once you remove the cats, a straight-thru designed muffler like the Borla S-type? is going to produce trumpeting, even more so with an off-road X pipe and long tubes. However, when used with either an off-road H pipe, high flow catted H/X, the S-types are less prone to producing trumpeting. Resonators IMHO are the most effective way to minimize or eliminate trumpeting when installing an off-road exhaust system.

Unless he's referring to either drone or trumpeting:shrug:

Dem tires tho.

vtacx3Y.jpg

295s on all 4 corners. This is for real real this ain't for play play! :crazy:
I'm really surprised how well they clear up front :waytogo:

Maybe I am using the wrong word, but I didn't like the way it sounded. The S-Type sounded great until I put on the long tubes and the OR X-pipe.
Perhaps the word you're referring to, is drone or trumpeting? From my experience, once I uninstalled the stock cats and ran just an off-road X pipe, the Borla S-types droned so horribly inside the cabin that I couldn't stand it along with the trumpeting, but once I got rid of the off-road X and installed an off-road prochamber, the trumpeting was eliminated, however, the drone is still there. At any rate, my next option for reducing the drone is adding a pair of resonators in which I hope may help:shrug:

Last edited:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I'm really surprised how well they clear up front :waytogo:

They clear because of Vorshlag's magical offsets that they won't tell anybody what they are.
I wonder, do they erase the numbers off the back of the wheels to keep them a secret?
Plus, they're only 10" wide, so it's not that hard to make a 295 fit in the front.
I had my 305/40/18 drag radials on the front for an autocross session, they cleared fine. Yes, they're Nittos and Nitto runs small, but they're still a pretty wide tire for the front.

38956461544_df5daae671_o.jpg

38768278735_f8704a6923_o.jpg

And they worked awesome, no flopping onto the sidewalls like I had feared they might

26977641917_cf5e29a08b_o.jpg

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They also have 18x11s for front/rear, but the offsets are different so they can't be rotated. These 18x10s can be rotated front to rear.

I got the mold release off of the tires now. Not quite as much absolute grip as the Bridgestone RE-71Rs, but still very fun.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
They also have 18x11s for front/rear, but the offsets are different so they can't be rotated. These 18x10s can be rotated front to rear.

I got the mold release off of the tires now. Not quite as much absolute grip as the Bridgestone RE-71Rs, but still very fun.

I like them a lot, I'd love a silver set for my car. They look awesome.
I just wish they weren't so secretive about their offsets.
I understand why they do it, they're protecting their R&D and they want that customer to buy from them.
Lots of people out there that want to run wide wheels/tires front and rear, being more transparent with the fitment solutions would make it easier for many to buy the right-fitting wheel to begin with.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back