What seats are you running?

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
This topic gets little mention and in often overlooked IMO so lets get some input.

What seats are you running? How long have they been in? List your Pros/Cons.

I'll start
Corbeau FX1's , swede, with sliders
I've been running them a little over a year now.

Pros - Nice quality swede. Relatively inexpensive and lightweight. It's comfortable enough for short trips. Provides ample support for track day. Works well with Hans and helmet.

Cons - Fixed back so rear seat cannot fold down unless you have sliders. Does not have SFI rating so it can't actually be used in racing events. Requires harness. Ingress/egress may be annoying for someone not used to racing seats (like my wife).

RedFire07GT

11sec N/A 3V
Reaction score
Running the Fx1s in suede here too, with the seat rails. Never a problem and still like them!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Axes-Of-Evil

forum member
Reaction score
I have an ultrashield pro road race sitting in my closet so I can't comment on how it is racing/just daily driving. But it sure held me in whenever I would play Forza 3 :D

foolio2k4

forum member
Reaction score
Recaro SPG.

FIA Certified.

I wont get a seat that is not FIA certified. Safety is important. Not that others WONT be safe but I like knowing that my seat is certified for FIA racing.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
Subscribing..I currently just have OE seats with harnesses..

I've been thinking about a Racetech RT1000, but I've been debating if I really want to take it to that level since it's no longer a DD but still primarily a street car. I was very very close to picking up those Boss Recaros that were on eBay, kinda pissed I didn't, but they are still heavy and I'd feel like a tard proudly displaying "Boss 302" and having neither the cubes or power to back it up..then there are the Recaro Speeds. And that takes me full circle back to the logic of, "Might as well get lightweight fixed backs if you're going to spend that kind of dough. I have a roll bar, so the fixed back thing is really a non-issue.

And then I have to take in to consideration my affinity for women with larger posteriors.. :chairfall:

Philostang

Chrome Hater
Reaction score
I've got Kirkey Deluxe Road Racing Seats (they've now removed this seat from their line up in favor of the "Intermediate" which is very similar and their full containment seats).

Interior%20Sept%202010%20004.jpg

Pros and cons are pretty much like pcdrj described. I've actually found them very comfortable on long trips, I just stick a small pillow on the seat bottom. Ingress and egress is rather annoying for regular use, so I've considered a slider for the driver side. My rear seat is a delete and I have an MM roll bar, so access to the rear is a non-issue.

My passenger side is large at 18", so it accommodates passengers...of all sizes. =)

Best,
-j

argonaut

forum member
Reaction score
I had the Corbeau A4s for a while. On sliders. The tilt back is nice to be sure. I didn't have the ones with the lumbar support and on the road I felt they didn't have enough padding or support in the lower back. On the track they are a mile better than stock but not great, they really don't have much bolstering. Get them with the lumbar and they are a good compromise/dual use seat.

Now I have the FX1s on sliders. Very firm padding on the butt, better back support, far deeper bolstering. Personally on the street I'm only good for a couple hours then its starts to get uncomfortable and....you really can't move around much to adjust. Getting in and out takes some dexterity and can be a pita. But on the track they are great - no more death grip on the wheel, no more sore knees from bracing yourself against the door.

Pick your poison - no seat will be perfect in all scenarios.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Summit seats. Got both for $200 IIRC from a forum member on another site. lightweight in comparison to stock and super comfortable. Maybe more comfortable than thestock. 2.5 hour rides to and from the track and i never get tired of them. I also retained the stock seatbelts on both sides

DSCN0301.jpg

Last edited:

Philostang

Chrome Hater
Reaction score
Argo reminded me of a couple of things.

1. Lumbar support: I ended up adding the Kirkey lumbar support to my seat - like heaven! Worlds better than without it. Highly recommended if going with a similar seat.

2. Rear stability: I also added a seat back brace that ties the seat back to the roll bar's crossbar. That really helps keep it planted when on track.

3. Seat belt compatibility: Being on the street I wanted more than a minimal degree of mobility (like actually being able to reach the radio controls). So I felt much better off wearing the stock seat belt (rather than the harnesses). However, I got lucky as my seat is low enough at the hip joint to allow the stock belt to make contact with my body much the same as with the stock seats. For some (esp. skinny folks) this might be a problem with the very highly bolstered seats (the belt could ride over the bolsters leaving space between the belt and your body). I should add as a disclaimer, there is some dispute as to the safety of using any race seats with stock belts, and I am not advocating one do so. You take your life into your own hands.

Best,
-j

Sleeper_08

forum member
Reaction score
I'm running stock cloth seats which were ordered that way with side airbags. It holds better than leather and with a CG Lock it is not too bad.

A full race seat would be nice but with the side airbags starts to get complicated and I would hate to ever get hit in the side and need the side airbag and it not be there.

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
Do NOT run Corbeau A4s. Their tilt hinge is poorly welded and have had a few on-track failures, including one that happened to me, costing me a class win in a 100-min endurance race.

They are junk do not use them.

Their one piece seats should be fine.

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
Corbeau seats are all weak and flimsy. The FX1 in comparison to say a Sparco Evo 2 is a wet noodle. I've seen Forza's break too, and you guy have had A4 failures. Corbeau is just cheap stuff. I can sell it, but choose not to push them. I usually recommend Sparco stuff but the cost drives some away. But if you break a seat that cost isn't so bad.

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
Do NOT run Corbeau A4s. Their tilt hinge is poorly welded and have had a few on-track failures, including one that happened to me, costing me a class win in a 100-min endurance race.

They are junk do not use them.

Their one piece seats should be fine.

My Corbeau FX1's could definitely use a back brace. They really flex during hard cornering. I plan on switching them out for a better race seat, most likely Kirkey.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
For those that are using the stock seats, do you have any pictures of a harness installed with them? Where do you run the top two straps of the harness since there aren't "holes" in the seat?

I'm thinking about a 4-point harness for autocross to plant me in the seat better, but I really like my stock seats for daily driving (especially with the heat in them).

Yes, I know I'm a wimp. :whistling:

wgnths

Reaction score
I run fx1 pro's and they're decent, especially for the money. I've run them in my track car as well, but switched to sparcos due to the flex and non-fia. i've had a friend break an fx1 in a track accident. corbeaus recline seats are horrible, and i was a dealer a few years back. Definitely don't use them, really weak.

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
For those that are using the stock seats, do you have any pictures of a harness installed with them? Where do you run the top two straps of the harness since there aren't "holes" in the seat?

I run mine between the seatback and the headrest. Works perfectly for me, I'm about 5'10 or so.

P2080839.jpg

Recaro's i think.

Yes, they're Recaro seats..

i'd love to put those in my car, hopefully they make them with out the boss 302 embroidered on them

The pictures I've seen show them with a Ford Racing logo on them.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back