Whats the Peak Boost on Prochager?

A John In NJ

Rice Cooker
Reaction score
Hey everyone... Im just curious to know what the Peak boost you can run on a P1SC Procharger.... Lets say I have a forged block and all.....

Thanks

-John

2005redgt

Reaction score
What ATI says and what you can really get is 2 different things.

I currently have a built block, lowered compression (9:1), no cats and spin it up to 64,000 RPM -- and make 16# of boost. If I have cats, maybe it would be 17#, if I have stock compression (9.8:1) it may have been 18#. But what matters is your shift points, the pulley size. This will determine the boost you will get with the P1SC and you Mustang.

-Bryan

DirtyDogOfTheDesert

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
3.1 upper pulley (12 rib), fully built motor, kooks long tubes....18psi at 6500rpm...(blower speed just over 65000rpm)

2005redgt

Reaction score
Hey DirtyDogOfTheDesert, you have any recent dyno charts ? I would love to see your torque curve. Mine is flat have not seen any other ProChargers charts to compare against.

-Bryan

DirtyDogOfTheDesert

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll look around when I get back home. I haven't been on a dyno since last spring, but I know I've got them around someplace. I know that my torque curve is pretty flat also.

Besides having so much more power at this boost level, I can say that I really like the way my Procharger pulls now from like 3000-5000 rpm, and beyond is awesome too. It's is totally different animal now than it was at lower boost levels.

I think the Procharger kit is still one of the best options out there, and it was just given a bad reputation in the beginning. Being the first kit out there, naturally we Procharged guys experienced some of the earliest failures, which then caused a lot of negative sentiment towards it. Along comes a few twin screw kits a year or so after Procharger, people learning from our failures, and those kits are now supposed to be the best?? I don't think so......

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What you say does have merrit. Hell, for almost the first year the only FI kits available were the vortech and procharger.

The one thing that you are overlooking though which is fair to adresss IMO is the one big factor where the Procharger falls short...

The fact it is air to air cooled has been and always will be it's number one con for big boosted street car application IMO.

Other reasons of course, but even for that alone, the TS will prevail as a better choice for a street car...:leghump:

DirtyDogOfTheDesert

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
We could argue this....but why? Each kit has it uses.

My Air to Air intercooler has never pissed all it's fluid out yet. LOL!!

Isn't Air to Air more efficient than Air to H2O? I'm sure I read that some where.

Never had a tensioner issue with my Procharger either!

It is true that a twin screw with it's lower end torque is fun on a street car when you want to blow the tire's off it in a parking lot, or anywhere else for that matter, but aren't the truely fastest cars running big centri's, and turbos' with sophisticated boost controllers to limit boost down low, then bring it on on the top end?

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
It is true that a twin screw with it's lower end torque is fun on a street car when you want to blow the tire's off it in a parking lot, or anywhere else for that matter...
= street car

DirtyDogOfTheDesert said:
...but aren't the truely fastest cars running big centri's, and turbos' with sophisticated boost controllers to limit boost down low, then bring it on on the top end?
= race cars

Comparing apples to beer nuts with that one. To each their own.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
We could argue this....but why? Each kit has it uses.

My Air to Air intercooler has never pissed all it's fluid out yet. LOL!!

Isn't Air to Air more efficient than Air to H2O? I'm sure I read that some where.

Never had a tensioner issue with my Procharger either!

It is true that a twin screw with it's lower end torque is fun on a street car when you want to blow the tire's off it in a parking lot, or anywhere else for that matter, but aren't the truely fastest cars running big centri's, and turbos' with sophisticated boost controllers to limit boost down low, then bring it on on the top end?

If you read my post, I was specifically talking about 'street car' application. I'm not trying to argue or even have to. These 'truly fastest' cars you speak of are built and designed to run 1340' at a time. They wouldn't last five minutes on a cruise to vegas.

Last edited:

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind... Boost pressure is a function of restriction. Asking what the max PSI boost is really doesn't say much in application. Everything you do that increases the VE of the engine (headers, head work, cams, etc.) will actually lower the boost pressure in the engine. That motor is simply flowing more air than a more "stock" setup will, making more power, but doing it with a lower boost reading.

Compare blowing out a breath through a McDonald's-gauge straw, and then through a cocktail stir... The McDonalds straw will flow more air, but the cocktail stir will show more boost... Which setup do you want in YOUR car?

flaming70vw

forum member
Reaction score
No one is spinning the p1sc at 30 psi, or even close to that. A cog drive is needed. The procharger is a fine supercharger, but it has its limits.

DirtyDogOfTheDesert

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A P1 will NOT produce 30 psi on in this application. Go back and read this over again.

A cog drive is NOT needed for any street application regardless of blower size.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back